The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default GYOW from live album (Good Housekeeping)

Good Housekeeping Exclusive: Sneak Peek of Lindsey Buckingham's Album

Get a "first listen" of the Fleetwood Mac guitarist's solo project, Lindsey Buckingham: One Man Show

You can't buy it until November 13, but we've got an exclusive "first listen" of Lindsey Buckingham's live album. Check out his take on the Fleetwood Mac classic, Go Your Own Way.

Scroll down to hear it.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/fami...ER&spr_id=2956

Read more: Lindsey Buckingham New Album - Good Housekeeping

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's a funny way to word it: Check out this unknown, unrelated performer's take on Fleetwood Mac's classic song Go Your Own Way.

Michele
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's a funny way to word it: Check out this unknown, unrelated performer's take on Fleetwood Mac's classic song Go Your Own Way.

Michele
It really did sound that way.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[My favorite lyric in GYOW is "you can roll like thunder". I'm glad this writer likes it too. I'm not sure how "you can roll like thunder" would be a sniping retort to "thunder only happens when it's raining," though]

The Independent, January 25, 2013

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...o-8466135.html

It speaks volumes about the enduring quality of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours – here repackaged in an expanded heritage edition comprising, in its most lavish format, four CDs, one DVD and audiophile vinyl album – that not even the twin taints of appropriation as Top Gear theme and political anthem have managed to diminish its appeal. It remains one of pop's most impervious generational touchstones.

Rumours represents, along with The Eagles Greatest Hits, the high-water mark of America's Seventies rock-culture expansion, the quintessence of a counter-cultural mindset lured into coke-fuelled hedonism. Its very sound, with those winsome melodies, those West Coast harmonies, and that rhythm section lagging fractionally, imperceptibly behind the beat conjures a fantasy world of luxurious, liberal excess and Californication, captured with sleek perfection.

The album's story is well-known now, rock's premier case of strife bringing forth sweetness, as Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham batted the tattered remnants of their relationship back and forth in song. She had only to refer to “thunder” in “Dreams”, for him to snipe back “You can roll like thunder” in “Go Your Own Way” – but both songs are equally sublime, as too are Christine McVie's attempts to cheer the troops up in songs like “Don't Stop” and “You Make Loving Fun”.

Heaven only knows how they managed to remain focused (and civil) enough to bring the project to such glorious fruition, a process here sketched out across two CDs of revealing demos and outtakes, the best of which may be Buckingham's exquisite “Brushes” – the original demo for “Never Going Back Again” – on which his delicate, lace-like threads of multi-tracked guitar intertwine with the crystalline sparkle of dulcimer or harp.

Hearing the band develop its definitive voice in these performances, one's interest is sharply piqued for the imminent reformation tour: it may not be as intriguing as Bowie's comeback, but there's a peculiar magic in operation here that deserves treasuring.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The album's story is well-known now, rock's premier case of strife bringing forth sweetness, as Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham batted the tattered remnants of their relationship back and forth in song. She had only to refer to “thunder” in “Dreams”, for him to snipe back “You can roll like thunder” in “Go Your Own Way” – but both songs are equally sublime, as too are Christine McVie's attempts to cheer the troops up in songs like “Don't Stop” and “You Make Loving Fun”.

What the hell is that writer talking about? The lyric line cited, You can roll like thunder, is not in that song. The phrase is familiar to me only in the Elton John song "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues": rolling like thunder under the covers.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-28-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What the hell is that writer talking about? The lyric line cited, You can roll like thunder, is not in that song. The phrase is familiar to me only in the Elton John song "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues": rolling like thunder under the covers.
Hmm, maybe she is hearing "You can roll like thunder, another day.'' Hahaha.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post
Hmm, maybe she is hearing "You can roll like thunder, another day.'' Hahaha.
It's amusing because it's such a well known song, even if you aren't into FM.

Michele
Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wait till you hear the early take on GYOW on the re-issue out tomorrow...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok. I listened to it. I wasn't listening to the whole thing yet, but since you brought that one up, I did.

He says "you can roll like thunder," many times.

He says "but I can't" so much that could be the name of the song.

But I can't ever change things that are real.

You can go your own way, so long.

Let me tell you, you can roll like thunder.

I'm not sure that is an answer to "thunder only happens when it's raining," though.