The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rock and Roll Hall of Fame question?

It was great that there were so many Fleetwood Mac players there for the awards, but does anyone know why there were not more? In particular, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch. I do not know what happened about Bob leaving, but he was there for five (5) albums (forgetting compilations and the like). jeremy Spencer was there for as many or more depending on how you count, and of course Danny Kirwan who fit right there in the transition between the blues era and the post partum pop phenomena.
And then there were all the other players post blues and post B/N

Inquiring mind wants to know

doodyhead
Old 04-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You might not remember that it was only the Green/Spencer/Kirwan and Buckingham/Nicks/Christine McVie lineups of the band that were inducted into the hall of fame, so that explains why Bob Welch and others were not there. I assume Danny Kirwan's health issues precluded him from attending, and as to Jeremy......maybe he'll enlighten us But he doesn't seem like the kind of person who's looking for the spotlight these days.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
It was great that there were so many Fleetwood Mac players there for the awards, but does anyone know why there were not more? In particular, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch. I do not know what happened about Bob leaving, but he was there for five (5) albums (forgetting compilations and the like). jeremy Spencer was there for as many or more depending on how you count, and of course Danny Kirwan who fit right there in the transition between the blues era and the post partum pop phenomena.
And then there were all the other players post blues and post B/N

Inquiring mind wants to know

doodyhead
v.c. aka m.e.h. - as i recall, jermey and danny were inducted. they declined to attend. i think that's right....?

bob wasn't inducted and at that point was also estranged from mick.under those circumstatnces i can imagine that he would boycott on principle. i also recall the decision as who was inducted or not rested partly with the band ( i think i read that in one of bob's q&a's here on the penguin site).

i think bob should be in, based on merit. another reason he should be in: i don't think the band would have survived to b/n without him.

as for the post b/n (e.g., billy) and minor pre b/n (e.g., the other bobs) people, they may not have been invited to attend.

it is an odd thing this hall of fame. lacks integrity among other things!

zero
Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default hall of fame

Thanks for the info. I hope Jeremy does answer, too. He certainly was a driving force of the band as well as Danny. I don't usually follow the awards things and it went right by me back then. I would have loved to have seen the footoage of Carlos Santana and Peter Green. That would be something to post to youtube. All of these things are just popularity contests. The great ones are usually ahead of or behind the curve and for that its too bad. If the band did indeed choose who was there then it just compounds the mess
In the words of the Bard
"oh well"

vinnie c

Last edited by doodyhead; 04-16-2007 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just seems like SUCH an injustice:

Donna Jean Godchaux is in the R&RHoF as a member of the Grateful Dead, but Bob Welch is NOT as a member of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Just seems like SUCH an injustice:

Donna Jean Godchaux is in the R&RHoF as a member of the Grateful Dead, but Bob Welch is NOT as a member of Fleetwood Mac.
Nor are Gram Parsons and Clarence White with the Byrds, and they along with Chris Hillman, were pretty much the founding fathers of country rock.

As for the Mac, I definitely think Bob Welch and Billy Burnette got screwed. Bob was on five albums, Billy was in for eight years.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think people should be included if they have had a significant influence on a band. So IMO Bob Welch should have been included.

I don't think Mick, John or Christine felt inclined to cause a fuss about this because he was suing them at the time.

Gail
Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I think people should be included if they have had a significant influence on a band.
Exactly my point about Donna Jean Godchaux. Not only was her time in the Grateful Dead INsignificant, it was just banal. Even Bob Brunning had more of an influence on Fleetwood Mac than Donna had on the Grateful Dead.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Who's decision is it which members of a band are inducted? Is it the R&RHOF or the band? Was it up to Mick?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's some "committee" of the R&RHoF that decides. When they nominated the Grateful Dead, they'd only chose 6 or 7 members to be inducted. Jerry Garcia told 'em either EVERYBODY gets in, or we decline to be inducted. Obviously, Mick didn't do that when Fleetwood Mac was nominated.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
There's some "committee" of the R&RHoF that decides. When they nominated the Grateful Dead, they'd only chose 6 or 7 members to be inducted. Jerry Garcia told 'em either EVERYBODY gets in, or we decline to be inducted. Obviously, Mick didn't do that when Fleetwood Mac was nominated.
Well he should have. IMO.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Well he should have. IMO.
Under normal cirumstances I would agree with you but ask yourself this question:

Would you stick your neck out for someone who was suing you?

Also I imagine the committee wanted the fab five plus Peter there and maybe they thought Mick, John and Chris might not show up if Bob did.

Gail
Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I'd like to say I would, but I don't know. Perhaps not. But it's a real shame that personal & business issues got in the way of some members getting their "reward" if you can call it that.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Under normal cirumstances I would agree with you but ask yourself this question:

Would you stick your neck out for someone who was suing you?

Also I imagine the committee wanted the fab five plus Peter there and maybe they thought Mick, John and Chris might not show up if Bob did.

Gail
They inducted Danny Kirwan & Jeremy Spencer, too...and they weren't there, so they could've inducted Bob, but not invited him to the ceremonies, if that were the case. I seriously DOUBT FMac would've been that crass.

Well, look where it got them with Van Halen. The two guys who were NOT in the current incarnation were there and nobody with the last name Van Halen WAS.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
^ I'd like to say I would, but I don't know. Perhaps not. But it's a real shame that personal & business issues got in the way of some members getting their "reward" if you can call it that.

I doubt if I would.

Yes it is a shame that "business" issues got in the way

Gail