Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I get what you mean. THEY see themselves as Americans, maybe not the auidence. I don't see them performing all across small European towns, like in the US.
This. Plus, during their huge international tours, the US dates account for nearly twice as many shows as all of the other countries combined.

Not to mention they've been American-based since what, 1973? To this day tour rehearsals and studio recording always takes place in LA, and all active members of the band maintain property in LA. They even refer to LA as home when they play the Forum.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Lindsey has been associated with Fleetwood Mac for 43 years of its 50 year existence- he is 1/5 of the most famous lineup of this band. Fleetwood Mac songs that had his production, guitar playing, and vocals hit the Top 40 nearly 2 dozen times. Rumors is still one of the top 10 best selling albums of all time- 41 years after its release. During his tenure FM had 7 albums in the top 10- 4 of which were #1. So to suggest that Lindsey doesn’t belong in the band because his side projects flopped is ludicrous.

I was simply responding to Sugar Mouse, who has been trying to sell Finn to us for months as this miraculous living legend. I’m just not buying it. Even if he WAS, I wouldn’t give a damn. I love my Rumours 5. They will ALWAYS be the definitive version of this band to me.
100%, on everything you said here.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
You'd think people would be over the moon with the announcement of LB's tour dates.

It doesn't seem to be here. Although 80% of my FB feed has been all Lindsey today.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Then why were you stupid enough to call the band AMERICAN then?
Nice one. Of course, Fleetwood Mac started as a British band and then became a British/American band and is now a British/American/Kiwi band. Bands are obviously defined by their heritage of the members and not from where they are popular.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And I never said that Lindsey doesn't belong in Fleetwood Mac. I did say that Lindsey appeared on less than half of Fleetwood Mac albums meaning that a large part of the band's discography doesn't include Lindsey. Lindsey is a part, albeit important part, of the band's history.

That being said, Lindsey has been a commercial flop as a solo artist. You can say that he's been an artistic success as a solo artist, but his solo albums have been commercial flops.

And it's odd that folks keep saying that no one knows who Neil Finn is. Neil is a legend in Australia/New Zealand. He's in the Australian Music Hall of Fame. He's also a big star in the UK and much of Europe. And he's also a mid-level star in the states where Don't Dream It's Over, Something So Strong, and I Got You were huge hit songs.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you're implying neil finn as not a flop of a solo artist, well that's just as subjective as you saying Lindsey was a flop of a solo artist.

Doesn't really add up to anything.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Sorry to be so picky... but Fleetwood Mac recorded 4 proper studio albums with zero Americans. Bob Welch was of course American so FG to HAHTF don't count. Shocked to hear some people on here consider Fleetwood Mac to be an American band though.

And yes... Neil Finn is massively popular and famous in a number of countries outside the US.
Good catch. Forgot that Welch was American. And yes, Neil Finn is a massive star in a number of countries.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I must say, there is a list of things I find disturbing about Lindseys firing. Things I really dislike Mick for. But one thing that slowly moves to the top of that list are Neil Finn fans who suddenly feel entitled to have an opinion on Fleetwood Mac and their fans. It's like crumbles judging a cake. What is this **** here?

Last edited by AncientQueen; 08-14-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Finally, a well researched and factual comment, thank you
But that's anecdotal evidence, not factual. Facts involve verifiable statistics such as album sales & tour revenue. There's no way that globally, Finn/Crowded House/et al outsells Fleetwood Mac, end stop.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
But still Don't Dream It's Over is not a solo song from Neil Finn. Compare it to Go Your Own Way and you have a reasonable comparison AND your answer.
Actually Crowded House was essentially a Neil Finn solo project.

With all due respect to the late Paul Hester, Nick Seymour, and Mark Hart ... Crowded House was Neil Finn. Hester/Seymour/Hart are talented musicians, but they had almost nothing to do with writing, producing, or arranging the songs. Neil wrote almost all the Crowded House songs and was the sole creative force in the band.

That was very different from Fleetwood Mac where Lindsey was the main producer, but wrote a minority of the songs. Most of the band's hits were Stevie or Christine songs. Thus, it is fair to compare Crowded House songs to Lindsey solo songs. That's actually a very fair comparison as both situations are where we get to see how Neil's songs stand up to Lindsey's songs where each was fully in charge of the process.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I must say, there is a list of things I find disturbing about Lindseys firing. Things I really dislike Mick for. But one thing that slowly moves to the top of that list are Neil Finn fans who suddenly feel entitled to have an opinion on Fleetwood Mac and their fans. It's like crumbles judging a cake. What is this **** here?
LOL yes Neil Finn fans are allowed to have and express an opinion on Fleetwood Mac and their fans. One of the great things about America is freedom of speech. Just like you have the right to express your hatred of Fleetwood Mac... on a FM fan board.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. I've been a Mac fan since the mid-70s and a Finn fan since 1980 or so (I still have my laser-etched LP of "True Colours"!), so I guess I fall into both camps. I do see some Finn fans getting a bit defensive as some rather vocal FM fans have been slamming their guy (even on here) since the change was made. I don't take it personally; I'd just like to see FM fans give Finn a chance to shine. As much as I hate what happened to Lindsey, Finn strikes me as a great choice to at least try to fill the void. We'll see!

And I can't wait to see Lindsey's solo show this fall!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
All of this before he's played a single concert or even recorded a single song with FM. Mike Campbell has at least been peripherally involved in FM for several decades. His inclusion into the band seems so much more logical, and his humble behavior since being asked to join the band just makes him all the more palatable.

Perhaps we'll all warm up to Finn once he actually starts working with the band. Until then, his very name is going to continue to enrage a large contingency of FM fans, because he's not a legitimate member of the band yet. Regardless of how "miraculous" he is to certain folks around here.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
And yes... Neil Finn is massively popular and famous in a number of countries outside the US.
Quote:
Finally, a well researched and factual comment, thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
But that's anecdotal evidence, not factual. Facts involve verifiable statistics such as album sales & tour revenue. There's no way that globally, Finn/Crowded House/et al outsells Fleetwood Mac, end stop.

What the f**k you talking about???
Neil Finn is massively popular and famous in a number of countries outside the US. No argument. That is a fact.
Nobody has said anything about Neil Finn outselling Fleetwood Mac.

What I would say (that definitely is anecdotal) is that more people probably know the name Neil Finn than the UK than the name Lindsey Buckingham. I might be wrong but that would be my hunch.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood