The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Has Stevie's decision to not record new FM album affected the way you feel about her?
Yes. I will never forgive her and I am no longer a fan. 0 0%
No. I respect her decision and will always be fan. She has earned the right to say no. 43 43.43%
Yes. I hate her guts, hope she rots in hell and spit on her grave. 1 1.01%
No. It's all Lindsey's fault. She should not tolerate the working conditions. 2 2.02%
Yes. She is a selfish, self centered Diva, who only cares about herself. 10 10.10%
No. It's all Christine's fault. Her return spoiled Stevie's plans. 1 1.01%
Yes. She has spoiled Fleetwood Macs last opportunity to have an album with all 5 members. 36 36.36%
No. Thank God! Stevie will only hurt the album anyway with lackluster songwriting & worn voice. 6 6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I hate when she plays piano. I cringe.
OMG, it's awful. So embarrassing!
Old 12-23-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
new melodies on IYD were hers?

i believe there were new melodies on SYW written by her. her new songs there were not cowrites, she was the sole songwriter. i'm not talking about arrangements, or lyrics.
But not all the "new" In Your Dreams songs were cowritten with Dave.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
But not all the "new" In Your Dreams songs were cowritten with Dave.
you are funny! yes, they were co-written by either Dave, or Neale, or Mike Campbell, despite of you stating:
Quote:
The music was really all written by Dave Stewart. The lyrics were in most cases either partially old and partially new or short poems that were put together and turned into songs during the making of the album. Only Secret Love and Annabel Lee were truly very old songs in In Your Dreams, the rest is all music produced after her previous album.
we keep having this same discussion over and over again when someone new joins here, or someone old forgets. in recent threads it looked like it was pretty much accepted fact that SN hasn't written any new music / melody / whatever you want to call it since i guess SYW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I simply do not understand the fact that typing up facts about the four recording and cowriting FMtracks and one explicitly not participating is regarded as bashing or slamming the one.
i know!!!!!

guess we are living in post-factual world.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, then it she didn't write music even on Say You Will since she doesn't really write music ever in that way I meant. The lyrics and melodies were hers.
Oh stop it! They don't need her. It could be a 5 star album without her.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If they record the album with the 4 it will be " reviewed " like SYW. Great album but missing Stevie Nicks's.... (filling in the blank). I Love Say You Will and I'm sure I will love the new album if it's released with just the 4 but it will be missing a link.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Oh stop it! They don't need her. It could be a 5 star album without her.
I never stated otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you are funny! yes, they were co-written by either Dave, or Neale, or Mike Campbell, despite of you stating:

we keep having this same discussion over and over again when someone new joins here, or someone old forgets. in recent threads it looked like it was pretty much accepted fact that SN hasn't written any new music / melody / whatever you want to call it since i guess SYW.
Yes, half of the songs were written with Dave, one with Neal and one with Mike Campbell, but you took my quotes in which I was using the term music differently. Obviously Dave Stewart was the producer for all the songs and co-writer for 7 but I don't think that Stevie just threw some poems at him and the others and then left and they turned them to music.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
OMG, it's awful. So embarrassing!
Come on. She doesn't play piano. She plays around with some basic chords just to find a basic melody and phrasing of her poems while reciting them. That is how she writes songs. And she once wrote classic songs that way. Don't judge her on her instrument-skills. I think it is extraordinary that you can write so beautiful without ANY musicianskills. She is unique BECAUSE of that.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, Tango was their second best-selling album (especially in Europe) but Stevie's songs were lackluster; here we aren't talking about sales, or at least I hope so, but we are talking about quality, and to me an album must have consistent quality throughout all the songs. Tango is a good album that however had a much greater potential, it could have been a timeless classic but it was tarnished by many little things that prevented part of its success.
I really think that if Stevie had been more present and had submitted better songs and had worked longer on them, if Lindsey hadn't been on the verge of quitting Fleetwood Mac and if all of them had gone on the road together and in much better shape, then this album would have had about the same success rate of Rumours.
Still . . .

It sold like 7-8 million copies and had two top-5 hit singles and four top-20 singles. That's a massive success by anyone's standards. It might have done better had Stevie contributed better songs and if Lindsey had stayed on for the tour. It could also be argued that the drama behind Lindsey quitting had a positive impact on album sales and that curiosity about the new lineup helped ticket sales.

I think TITN is exactly why Stevie isn't recording with them today. What a shock it must have been for her coming off of two albums (TWH and RAL) that spawned two top-5 singles, and then be the only one in the band to not have a song go into the top-15, far less the top-5, just a couple of years later.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Come on. She doesn't play piano. She plays around with some basic chords just to find a basic melody and phrasing of her poems while reciting them. That is how she writes songs. And she once wrote classic songs that way. Don't judge her on her instrument-skills. I think it is extraordinary that you can write so beautiful without ANY musicianskills. She is unique BECAUSE of that.
I hear you. But what's cringeworthy is that she has played the piano for audiences with the expectation of applause and it's really not good. It doesn't even reach the level of competent. Yes, she is (or was) a GREAT songwriter who accomplished a lot not only in spite of but perhaps because of her musical limitations, but that doesn't mean her playing is acceptable in a concert or performance setting.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I hear you. But what's cringeworthy is that she has played the piano for audiences with the expectation of applause and it's really not good. It doesn't even reach the level of competent. Yes, she is (or was) a GREAT songwriter who accomplished a lot not only in spite of but perhaps because of her musical limitations, but that doesn't mean her playing is acceptable in a concert or performance setting.
Thank you. That IS what I'm saying...what she's playing for the camera is just so completely AMATEURISH, that she should stop. Because it's embarrassing!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember complaining to my dad once about Stevie's non-participation in the new album.

He said how old is she. I said "68" and Dad basically said, at that age, with that many millions of dollars, you can do whatever the **** you want.

And it's true.

Stevie has been trotting out a speech at her shows (I went to Sacramento) on how everyone should just do whatever it is they want to do (like tour with Pretenders and sabotage the swang song of Fleetwood Mac).

Let's face it, much as when Christine rejoined I fully expected a new album to be released by now, given Stevie's excitement about her friend's return, it's just never going to happen.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Thank you. That IS what I'm saying...what she's playing for the camera is just so completely AMATEURISH, that she should stop. Because it's embarrassing!
To her, I think it's about honesty. She is saying to people - this is how I create.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She does play piano. I think so anyway.

I write songs and I write the same way she does. I choose four chords for the bass part, I work out the rhythm I want the lyrics to take and I write the notes I'm going to sing, play them while singing along ...lastly I write the treble accompaniment...all on keyboard or piano.

Listen to this and tell me she can't play!

Last edited by secret love; 12-23-2016 at 11:50 PM..
Old 12-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I doubt Stevie wants to remembered in a negative light but it may happen.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
This is exactly how I feel about it. It goes along with her pretension. It really is cringworthy.