Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default One song by Lindsey-Chris-Stevie I absolutely HATE

We all have our own opinion. This is mine. A lot of times I'll read a post where someone else says how much they hate a song I truly love and it stings my ego just a bit. I think 'how could they not get it?' So please don't take this personally but there is one song by Stevie, Lindsey & Christine that I hated the day I heard it right up through to this day. And I want to tell you why.

I bought TUSK the day it was released in 1979. Before that they released the single Tusk backed with Never Make Me Cry. Now when I first heard the song Tusk on the radio I thought to myself, 'what the ****?' My jaw was dropped open as it played on the radio. and I recorded it and then played it a thousand times till the single was released. Totally loving Tusk and eagerly awaiting the B-side. Then I played Never Make Me Cry and I wanted to puke. This was the worst song by Chris I had ever heard in my life and still feel that way to this day. I absolutely hate it!

I bought the Mirage album the day it was released in 1982 and played the whole thing over and over again as I had done with every previous FM album.
The first time I heard Lindsey sing Oh Diane I was like, 'what the ****?' I hate this song more than I hate any other song I hate. Also when FM chose to release it as a single I wanted to bury myself in the sand. Iwas truly embarrased to be a FM fan when that came on the radio. Thank God the general public felt the same way. It hardly got any airplay and thank God FM never performed it on the Mirage Tour. This was the worst song by Lindsey I had ever heard in my life and still feel that way to this day. I absolutely hate it!

I bought the Tango In The Night album the day it was released in 1987 and played it a million times. When I heard Welcome To The Room Sara I was like 'what the ****?' I felt from the very first listen that this was Lindsey's way of punishing Stevie. Or of getting even with her for past transgressions. Her vocal was terrible. After she recorded it, and I'm sure she was higher than a kite, I can see Lindsey(in my head) jumping up from his chair & saying, "that's it Stevie!" "That's the best vocal you've ever done!" And then laughing to himself that she was stupid enough to believe him. After all we did learn later that Stevie was hardly there for these recordings. She was more involved in her RAL album at the time. And Welcome To The Room Sara is all about her stay at the Betty Ford Center. Just what every rock-n-roll stoner did NOT want to hear about in 1987. This was the worst song by Stevie I had ever heard in my life and I still feel that way to this day. I absolutely hate it!

Last edited by vivfox; 07-06-2009 at 01:55 AM..
Old 07-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Oh no... here I go.... uhhhh gain.... fallin ... in love.... uhhh gen.....
cos love is like a grain of sand....
slowly slipping thru my hand....
oh......whoaaaa.. whoaaaaaa...

oh whoa oh diane......diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne

I hated this song for the longest time... but it almost throws me into a "Law and Order" mode....

I've come to like it....

Love Never Make Me Cry... kind of haunting to me...
and i love the groove on Welcome to the Room Sara......

but at the time... I hated Oh Diane.... (so i hear you on that one..)
Old 07-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Two Words:

Little Lies.

And from Lindsey. I totally agree with Oh Diane. Blerghhh
From Stevie: When I see You Again. Barf.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Two Words:

Little Lies.

And from Lindsey. I totally agree with Oh Diane. Blerghhh
i agree, i loathe this song too~ chris is such a talent, but this song really blew & still does~ i never play it all the way thru & will stop whatever i am doing at the time to change it~
Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song I hate really has little to do with the song itself. It's just the timing.
I don't like Silver Girl and it's not because it's an awful song. As one song on an album, it would have been no big deal. It's just that with the band apart for so many years, I anticipated new material so much and we only got the three songs from each person for the tour and Silver Girl and Temporary One seemed to be such weak, dismal entries.

They seemed worse, not because they were bad, but because I'd waited so long for them and they were part of a very thin crop. As part of 10 new songs on an album, they would have been fine. In fact, I incorporated the lyrics of Temporary One into my dad's funeral, so I obviously had some regard for it, but both Silver Girl and Temporary One disappointed me in 1997.

But Silver Girl . . . I think I resented it all the more because Twisted was out there -- on the soundtrack and on the Best Buy album and I would so much more have had that one made part of The Dance than Silver Girl.

There are lots of songs I am not moved by, but I don't think I hate them. There are also songs I probably would like under other circumstances, but I've heard them too much, so that I feel like I hate them, even though when I was much less familiar with them, I liked them just fine.

I would be more inclined to say I hate something like These Strange Times than any of Stevie, Lindsey or Christine's songs.

Michele
Old 07-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris: Oh, Daddy (shudders). I actually think there is another one I hate more but I have blocked it out of my mind and it's probably better that way.

Stevie: The 96 minute demo for the song that would become "The Nightmare."
I hate that sucker. And I had it on multiple tapes and I'd try and fast forward through the tapes for like...five minutes and I'd still hear that plunking piano and that "that's when the dream held her prisoner..." Oy.

Lindsey: Hmmmm...oh, I'm blanking on the name. Hang on. I have to run it through my mind...well, I think it's "It was I." I don't like a good deal of what is on Law and Order though.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Chris: Oh, Daddy (shudders). I actually think there is another one I hate more but I have blocked it out of my mind and it's probably better that way.
Yeah, I have a problem with Oh, Daddy. I think it's partly because I've heard it too much and also because I really don't like hearing paramours called "Daddy." I mean, maybe if you have kids and the kids said "mommy" and "daddy" so much that you began to call each other that. Maybe then I can understand it. But otherwise, I just think it's creepy to call a romantic mate "Daddy" or "Mama" or . . . well, "sis" would not work either.

And that would bring me to Sugar Daddy, which I don't really like. But I never had to listen to over and over again, so I can't really "hate" it either. It had the good grace not to shove itself at me. Michele
Old 07-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yeah, I have a problem with Oh, Daddy. I think it's partly because I've heard it too much and also because I really don't like hearing paramours called "Daddy." I mean, maybe if you have kids and the kids said "mommy" and "daddy" so much that you began to call each other that. Maybe then I can understand it. But otherwise, I just think it's creepy to call a romantic mate "Daddy" or "Mama" or . . . well, "sis" would not work either.

And that would bring me to Sugar Daddy, which I don't really like. But I never had to listen to over and over again, so I can't really "hate" it either. It had the good grace not to shove itself at me. Michele

Exactly! And I hate being called "mama" (by anyone--if it were done in a romantic situation, it would seriously be the end of the romantic situation). It's in the top 10 of my personal pet peeves. I think I'd rather be called a crabby old bat than mama. Even Lindsey's Trouble (which I love) makes me cringe a little at the "come and keep your daddy warm" line.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The song I hate really has little to do with the song itself. It's just the timing.
I don't like Silver Girl and it's not because it's an awful song. As one song on an album, it would have been no big deal. It's just that with the band apart for so many years, I anticipated new material so much and we only got the three songs from each person for the tour and Silver Girl and Temporary One seemed to be such weak, dismal entries.

They seemed worse, not because they were bad, but because I'd waited so long for them and they were part of a very thin crop. As part of 10 new songs on an album, they would have been fine. In fact, I incorporated the lyrics of Temporary One into my dad's funeral, so I obviously had some regard for it, but both Silver Girl and Temporary One disappointed me in 1997.

But Silver Girl . . . I think I resented it all the more because Twisted was out there -- on the soundtrack and on the Best Buy album and I would so much more have had that one made part of The Dance than Silver Girl.

There are lots of songs I am not moved by, but I don't think I hate them. There are also songs I probably would like under other circumstances, but I've heard them too much, so that I feel like I hate them, even though when I was much less familiar with them, I liked them just fine.

I would be more inclined to say I hate something like These Strange Times than any of Stevie, Lindsey or Christine's songs.

Michele

I think you are getting your girls mixed up. Do you mean Sweet Girl? Also, I love Twisted and consider it to be an honerary Fleetwood Mac song. They should have included it in their live set.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-03-2009 at 03:38 PM..
Old 07-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
I think you are referring to Sweet Girl. Silver Girl is on Say You Will. I actually like Sweet Girl (although I prefer the version that ended up on Enchanted), and Temporary One. Not the greatest songs either of them ever wrote but I don't skip over them.

Songs I hate: Warm Ways, Oh Diane, Only Over You, Empire State, Mystified, Family Man, When I see you again (except for the Lindsey part at the end), Silver Girl. I'll leave the solo stuff out.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ms Nicks - Silver Girl - the 'she was a girlie girl' bit is particularly bad! And wins my award for the worst FM track ever I'm afraid.

Linds - Oh Diane

Christine - Only Over You

Last edited by Stew_Matthews; 07-13-2009 at 05:06 PM..
Old 07-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Whassamattah baybah? Baaaaybeh... BAAYYYbeh?

Wait, I see your point.

I dislike most of SYW, especially the title track. I've also never much liked Crystal, no matter who is singing it.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Wow! Oh, Daddy is my official favorite Christine track!

And in your previous post, you meant "Sweet Girl" not "Silver Girl"

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Limiting my choices to Mac songs.... hm....

As album tracks go, I have to go with "World Turning" as my least favorite Lindsey and least favorite Christine track

As for Stevie. . . I have to go with "Silver Girl"

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No Questions Asked
Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
I Got It In For You
Wish You Were Here
Blow By Blow
Bermuda Triangle

moviekinks.blogspot.com