The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
I agree!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit View Post
My first reaction was to glance at my calendar to make sure it's not April Fools' Day yet.
That's exactly what I was gonna say!!

..Shel

http://stevienickswelshwitch.tumblr.com/

..so today she says, "Well I've changed my mind." That's a woman's right they say...
Old 03-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i just read that article and i think that it is a good idea. we will have to see what happens.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, so far it just says that they will probably be collaborating. That could mean a lot of things. I don't take it to mean she will be joining Fleetwood Mac any more than Stevie joined the Heartbreakers a couple of years ago. She'll probably co headline a tour and come on stage for a few songs or something. I doubt that she'll become a full fledged member of the band, but who knows.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Wow. I wonder if this is what Mick had to do to get Stevie to go on tour again. Better still, has anyone told Lindsey?
Ha ha ha.

Stevie: "Sheryl's just our friend, you know. Really, if Sheryl hadn't been our friend she would never have played on this record. She got to come in and play some keyboards because we love her and she's a sweetheart. And you know, who knows... if she shows up at the back door at one or our shows... "Lindsey, pleeeease, can I just come up and stand on the stage?"... he might let her."

Personally I think this news is crap.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
Well, so far it just says that they will probably be collaborating. That could mean a lot of things. I don't take it to mean she will be joining Fleetwood Mac any more than Stevie joined the Heartbreakers a couple of years ago. She'll probably co headline a tour and come on stage for a few songs or something. I doubt that she'll become a full fledged member of the band, but who knows.
Yes, after I responded, this occurred to me as the likeliest scenario. I'd be more excited if I knew that there would be a new album with songs divided between Sheryl, Stevie, & Lindsey. Having Sheryl onstage just to do Rumours songs is not worth my money - that ship of thrills sailed after she did GDW with Stevie at Central Park. That she is talking about "The Chain" and "Secondhand News" suggests more of the same.

- Jake
Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure that I share the excitement. I like Sheryl Crow doing her thing, and I like Fleetwood Mac doing their thing. I really don't want the two things combined. I mean, it is going to change the whole dynamics of the band! The sound might even be different. Is the Mac going to be singing Sheryl Crow songs? I have a lot of questions. I'm sure this is related to the hub-bub that Stevie wasn't going to tour without Christine. Well, this isn't Christine. It is another female, but it isn't Christine. I hope that the band has thought this through.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 AM
joe

I need a little more info on all this. When I first saw the headline on my Netscape homepage I immediately thought, "Stevie's out and Sheryl's taking her place...That's NOT going to work...so that's what Mick was hinting at?" So, I guess I was a little off but still need more details.

I had to read the story over again...it says they "have plans for collaborating in the future." I don't know. Collaborating says to me that she isn't joining as a full time member and that it's more along the lines of her involvement with Stevie for the TISL album/tour.

Last edited by joe; 03-14-2008 at 07:55 AM..
Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Ledgie

i completely agree with you, i don't think she's "The new member"
But i do think she would tour with them, you know Co-headlining and sing harmonies with them. That would be ok,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
I need a little more info on all this. When I first saw the headline on my Netscape homepage I immediately thought, "Stevie's out and sheryl's taking her place....oh noooooo! That is NOT going to work...so that's what Mick was hinting at?" So, I guess I was a little off but still need more details.

I had to read the story over again...it says they "have plans for collaborating in the future." I don't know. It's way too vague. I think her or anyone else joining the band as a permanent musician/singer is out of the question. I just don't see that happening. I think this is more along the lines of what happened with TISL.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gosh... I am buzzing over this news. In fact, I think it's the most exciting thing to happen in the FM family since the release of Say You Will. This is so shocking and unexpected as much as it seems like it has been foreshadowed and seems inevitable. Considering that Stevie and Sheryl have not exactly been BFFs publicly as of late, this is especially shocking. Oh, the possibilities are just infinite!!!

The reasons why this makes sense:

-The obvious Stevie-Sheryl girl power connection.

-Lindsey's respect and admiration for Sheryl and their common love of quirky studio trickery.

-Sheryl played keyboards on the SYW, which also features a song written about Sheryl.

-Sheryl fans tend to be FM fans and vice versa.

-Sheryl has matured into a veteran musician with legit singing, songwriting and performing chops.

-Sheryl's innate musical style is very similar to FM. Listen to "It Don't Hurt" and tell me it was not influenced by "The Chain."

The wonderful possibilities:

-Perhaps Sheryl's multi-faceted talents as a guitarist, bassist, keyboardist and singer will help to pare down the "Fleetwood Mac Orchestra" live lineup we've been seeing since 1987. Perhaps it won't be necessary for Carlos Rios or Jana to be in this lineup (one hopes)!!

-Sheryl and Stevie dueting on "Strong Enough."

-Inspiring the band to enter the studio and hopefully bringing keyboards back into the mix.

-Sheryl ALWAYS changes up her setlist. Perhaps some of that will rub off on FM.

-Sheryl may be able to revive some really obscure nuggets from the FM catalog, especially from the early 70's, like the way Rick Vito revived "Another Woman." Her take would be so different that she could pull it off without sounding like she is trying to do an imitation.

-I can't wait to see the five of them together at the inevitable press conference!

What could go wrong:

-Sheryl had better keep a low profile ala Christine. There is only room for ONE diva in FM. This means man-tailored suit jackets and jeans ONLY.

-Sheryl's voice is not as warm and full as Christine's, which will totally change the sound of the harmonies.

-Sheryl should sing no more than two solo songs. Ironically, I think "A Change Would Do You Good" would be perfect (and apt) for FM. "Strong Enough" should be the other.

-Sheryl should be allowed to sing only one Christine song besides "Don't Stop," which Lindsey sings mostly anyway. "You Make Loving Fun" would be it. Any more Christine songs would just magnify her absence.

-Sheryl has got a very large vocal range compared to Stevie, so she'd better keep the mellisma in check.

I am really, really, really excited about this. This news just made my whole week!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think any new breath that is breathed into FM at this point is welcome

I think SC plays the piano, bass, and lead guitars. So, she and LB could jam together, though he appears not to share the sandbox very well.

Another point is she is a star in her own right and does not need to do this and vice versa. So, it must be being done for artistic sake, which IMO will lead to a different and hopefully good sound.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
. . . -Sheryl had better keep a low profile ala Christine. There is only room for ONE diva in FM. This means man-tailored suit jackets and jeans ONLY . . . .
She wore revealing, sexy and hawt clothing on the TISL tour

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Since when is collaborating with a band the same thing as joining it? Several artists collaborate with oneanother, but that does not necessarily mean there is any "joining" involved...

On another note, if this is true, I will totally be done with Fleetwood Mac. Because Sheryl Crow sucks
Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
****, this is fabulous!!!~
If it makes Stevie happy to tour with Fleetwood Mac ....it makes me happy...I like Sheryl alot.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post

Another point is she is a star in her own right and does not need to do this and vice versa. So, it must be being done for artistic sake, which IMO will lead to a different and hopefully good sound.
I read in an article somewhere recently that Sheryl now believes that she has reached the point in her career (i.e., she's gotten over the hill) where she is not under as much pressure to crank out hit records. As such, she is probably now going to take some time to rest on her laurels and just have some fun. Sheryl lurves performing live and playing music just for the sake of doing it, whether it is her own stuff or a bunch of covers. And considering she grew up idolizing FM, this must be pure heaven for her.

But then again, I'm sure the new baby is creating quite the incentive to go out there and rake in boatloads of cash. College ain't getting cheaper, you know.