User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Stevie’s problem was cocaine and surrounding herself with yes people.
$he fixed the former, yet boosted the latter.

$he got them backwards!
Old 01-10-2021, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn’t say “best,” I said “primary.”
Well in the US, from 2005-2007, there were Stevie shows sold on TM as Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac.

Point is Fleetwood Mac is the mothership. And that name sells more tickets and for a higher price than solo shows. And multiple nights at venues plus stadiums seating 30,000 plus.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Well in the US, from 2005-2007, there were Stevie shows sold on TM as Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac.

Point is Fleetwood Mac is the mothership. And that name sells more tickets and for a higher price than solo shows. And multiple nights at venues plus stadiums seating 30,000 plus.
And where did I argue otherwise?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-10-2021, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And where did I argue otherwise?
You do love arguing!
Old 01-10-2021, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
You do love arguing!
And you love stalking me.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-11-2021, 06:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'I think she absolutely should have left after BD outsold Fleetwood Mac. Christine was still the primary hit singles writer. The band could have easily survived Stevie leaving anytime prior to 1987. After Lindsey quit, that was a different story.'
I don't agree with that. If she left at the height of her solo success, FM would have been badly hurt by losing their star drawing power. Mirage without Gypsy?? No Stevie in Hold Me video??

Last edited by johnnystorms; 01-11-2021 at 08:09 AM..
Old 01-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
'I think she absolutely should have left after BD outsold Fleetwood Mac. Christine was still the primary hit singles writer. The band could have easily survived Stevie leaving anytime prior to 1987. After Lindsey quit, that was a different story.'

I don't agree with that. If she left at the height of her solo success, FM would have been badly hurt by losing their star drawing power. Mirage without Gypsy?? No Stevie in Hold Me video??
Agreed. FM needed her more than ever in 1981–if they wanted to keep up their mega-blockbuster streak. Now, if they had decided to rebrand themselves on a hard-working, lower-key scale, putting out an album a year with LB/CM at the helm, it could have eventually worked well. But LB would never put out an album a year, and the Brits became very fond of the big money. And in truth, the live shows would have needed to change (more daring instrumentation and arrangements to compensate for the lack of the flashy, swirling vocalist..). In truth, there was no going back to their mid-level status. Not if they could avoid it. That’s why LB’s quitting in 87 was such a blow...

Btw: I ❤️ Christine’s TUSK songs
Old 01-11-2021, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Agreed. FM needed her more than ever in 1981–if they wanted to keep up their mega-blockbuster streak. Now, if they had decided to rebrand themselves on a hard-working, lower-key scale, putting out an album a year with LB/CM at the helm, it could have eventually worked well. But LB would never put out an album a year, and the Brits became very fond of the big money. And in truth, the live shows would have needed to change (more daring instrumentation and arrangements to compensate for the lack of the flashy, swirling vocalist..). In truth, there was no going back to their mid-level status. Not if they could avoid it. That’s why LB’s quitting in 87 was such a blow...

Btw: I ❤️ Christine’s TUSK songs
Let’s reframe this - what are we talking about here? There was a single, short Mirage tour that we are talking about here. They were fracturing and talking about whether they existed as a band or not before / during Mirage tour anyway. So there was barely a working band at the point after Bella Donna success.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2021, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Let’s reframe this - what are we talking about here? There was a single, short Mirage tour that we are talking about here. They were fracturing and talking about whether they existed as a band or not before / during Mirage tour anyway. So there was barely a working band at the point after Bella Donna success.
Albums were still selling millions then and Fleetwood Mac were still having hit singles so that is where the money was more so than touring.If Stevie had left in 1981 the sales would have suffered even though Christine was writing most of the hits .Fleetwood Mac also needed Lindsey..it is no coincidence that after he left the big hits stopped just as suddenly as they had started when he joined the band.That it is why it was so easy to toss him aside in 2018. By then it was the tours that made all of the money.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:34 PM

So Brown Eyes, Honey Hi, Over and Over (all gems)

But for some reason, I want to argue about Stevie and Lindsey.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
So Brown Eyes, Honey Hi, Over and Over (all gems)

But for some reason, I want to argue about Stevie and Lindsey.
Never Forget, Think About Me...among the most tuneful songs on the album.

“But yes, let’s pretend she isn’t there and decide who is more important to the band: Lindsey or Stevie.”
Old 01-12-2021, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Albums were still selling millions then and Fleetwood Mac were still having hit singles so that is where the money was more so than touring.If Stevie had left in 1981 the sales would have suffered even though Christine was writing most of the hits .
I disagree. The Fleetwood Mac brand still had a lot of weight beyond Stevie in 1981. Furthermore, if they had been so inclined, they could have replaced her with someone like Juice Newton (who I bring up because she sang on the album version of Ebony Eyes, had just had two huge hits with Queen of Hearts and Angel of the Morning, and kind of had a Stevie vibe). That would have given them a curiosity factor.

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac also needed Lindsey..it is no coincidence that after he left the big hits stopped just as suddenly as they had started when he joined the band.
I can just as easily blame that on Stevie. Not to sound like a Neanderthal, just being realistic about how pop culture works, but Stevie was entering middle age and lost most of her sex appeal. She was bloated, nasal, wore god awful makeup, had ridiculously large hair even by the standards of the late ‘80s/early ‘90s, her writing was suffering, and she was giving sluggish performances. Granted, we now know a lot of that was Klonopin, it was still hard to watch, especially just six years after Bella Donna. Stevie had become the stereotypical washed up has been. That trickled down towards everyone else.

“Behind the Mask” was a mostly subpar album. Stevie’s songs were forgettable, Rick had better songs than what made the album, Billy had one of the best songs and a couple of forgettable songs, and Christine was consistently great. Given Stevie’s decline, Christine was the only constant, which wasn’t enough to carry the band in a new era of music.

The era of classic rockers making new music that charted was ending. There was a new generation coming to prominence, and Fleetwood Mac, especially a new lineup, and other artists were getting placed on the back burner. OOTC was a critically acclaimed masterpiece and it completely tanked. To suggest he could have saved them somehow ignores a much bigger reality.

Quote:
That it is why it was so easy to toss him aside in 2018. By then it was the tours that made all of the money.
That and the fact he only had three big hits with Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2021, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I disagree. The Fleetwood Mac brand still had a lot of weight beyond Stevie in 1981. Furthermore, if they had been so inclined, they could have replaced her with someone like Juice Newton (who I bring up because she sang on the album version of Ebony Eyes, had just had two huge hits with Queen of Hearts and Angel of the Morning, and kind of had a Stevie vibe). That would have given them a curiosity factor.

Juice Newton WTF you have lost your last shred of crediblity.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Juice Newton WTF you have lost your last shred of crediblity.

I HATE Queen of Hearts more than almost any song in existence. I can't change the station fast enough when it comes on.

I can't BEGIN to imagine her in FM.

Bekka was a great replacement, though. Young, beautiful, and the best vocalist they ever had. That lineup deserved much more of a chance than they got.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I HATE Queen of Hearts more than almost any song in existence. I can't change the station fast enough when it comes on.

I can't BEGIN to imagine her in FM.

Bekka was a great replacement, though. Young, beautiful, and the best vocalist they ever had. That lineup deserved much more of a chance than they got.
I was thrilled when Stevie left and Bekka joined. I was also thrilled when Billy came back (which I found out about at the CSN show). I didn’t realize how close Billy was to the Bramletts at the time, but he and Bekka were just seamless together. Dave Mason was another story.

THE Stephen Hopkins