User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
There was a rumor that Mick Jagger wanted Danny Kirwan to replace Brian Jones. I think if Danny was the Stones replacement guitarist instead of Mick Taylor, he too would've died over thirty years ago.

Never heard that before. It could've happened I guess. He was the right age and had plenty of ability. Only thing is he wouldn't have good a look-in when it came to writing songs. And chances are, just like with Mick Taylor, if he did contribute to songs in the studio he wouldn't have received any credit.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but these are generally considered out of print?

http://rapidshare.com/files/15087912...re_Big_Boy.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/15087912...n_San_Juan.rar
Nice...........i'll download those this evening.

I got the reissue of Second Chapter last year. Not spectacular and I dont expect these two to be classics, but as a fan of Danny's work i'd really like to hear them to get a fuller picture of his whole career.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Trinity (still don't know why this wasn't included on Bare Trees!)
Its very good and maybe would've sat better on the album than 'Danny's Chant.'
Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

Just in case they haven't been listed before, here's the Rupert Brooke's poem 'Dust' from where Danny obtained the lyric's:

Dust
by Rupert Brooke (1887-1915)
When the white flame in us is gone,
And we that lost the world's delight
Stiffen in darkness, left alone
To crumble in our separate night;

When your swift hair is quiet in death,
And through the lips corruption thrust
Has stilled the labour of my breath---
When we are dust, when we are dust!---

Not dead, not undesirous yet,
Still sentient, still unsatisfied,
We'll ride the air, and shine, and flit,
Around the places where we died,

And dance as dust before the sun,
And light of foot, and unconfined,
Hurry from road to road, and run
About the errands of the wind.

And every mote, on earth or air,
Will speed and gleam, down later days,
And like a secret pilgrim fare
By eager and invisible ways,

Nor ever rest, nor ever lie,
Till, beyond thinking, out of view,
One mote of all the dust that's I
Shall meet one atom that was you.

Then in some garden hushed from wind,
Warm in a sunset's afterglow,
The lovers in the flowers will find
A sweet and strange unquiet grow

Upon the peace; and, past desiring,
So high a beauty in the air,
And such a light, and such a quiring,
And such a radiant ecstasy there,

They'll know not if it's fire, or dew,
Or out of earth, or in the height,
Singing, or flame, or scent, or hue,
Or two that pass, in light, to light,

Out of the garden, higher, higher. . . .
But in that instant they shall learn
The shattering ecstasy of our fire,
And the weak passionless hearts will burn

And faint in that amazing glow,
Until the darkness close above;
And they will know---poor fools, they'll know!---
One moment, what it is to love.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
Never heard that before. It could've happened I guess. He was the right age and had plenty of ability. Only thing is he wouldn't have good a look-in when it came to writing songs. And chances are, just like with Mick Taylor, if he did contribute to songs in the studio he wouldn't have received any credit.
From the sleevenotes to Ram Jam City:

"As happenstance would have it, a couple of years after Danny Kirwan left Fleetwood Mac, Mick Taylor quit the Rolling Stones. By this time Kirwan happily was away from the limelight, and busily putting together material for his debut solo album, Second Chapter. One day his wife at the time, Clare, answered the phone at their Essex home. It was the Rolling Stones office. Could they speak to Danny.

As fate would have it, he was up in London for the day. Clare gave them another contact number but the guitarist wasn't there either.

They didn't ring again..."
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nice...........i'll download those this evening.

I got the reissue of Second Chapter last year. Not spectacular and I dont expect these two to be classics, but as a fan of Danny's work i'd really like to hear them to get a fuller picture of his whole career.
Actually Midnight in San Juan is quite good (can't say they same for Hello There Big Boy)
Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

"As happenstance would have it, a couple of years after Danny Kirwan left Fleetwood Mac, Mick Taylor quit the Rolling Stones. By this time Kirwan happily was away from the limelight, and busily putting together material for his debut solo album, Second Chapter. One day his wife at the time, Clare, answered the phone at their Essex home. It was the Rolling Stones office. Could they speak to Danny.

As fate would have it, he was up in London for the day. Clare gave them another contact number but the guitarist wasn't there either.

Well, well, well. Although to be fair, the Stones did audition many guitarists before deciding on Ron Wood, but being English he would've certainly been near the top of the list. Just depends on if he'd actually want to step back into the limelight to that extent??
Old 10-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There was a rumor that Mick Jagger wanted Danny Kirwan to replace Brian Jones. I think if Danny was the Stones replacement guitarist instead of Mick Taylor, he too would've died over thirty years ago.
Not that Danny has actually had much of a life in the past thirty years...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Not that Danny has actually had much of a life in the past thirty years...
I had always thought that Danny's problems were caused solely by alcohol and him being uncomfortable in the spotlight.................but this thread prompted me to go back and look up a few writings and they mention that Danny was with Peter Green in Munich when they took LSD. That would explain things better. Cant see why I didnt make that connection before. Maybe because most reviews of the Munich Incident concentrate on the affect it had on Peter, not Danny.

Its just a shame that Danny isnt playing at all. Good to see that Peter and Jeremy are still playing though.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually Midnight in San Juan is quite good (can't say they same for Hello There Big Boy)
I like all three solo albums, but Hello There Big Boy is my favorite.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I like all three solo albums, but Hello There Big Boy is my favorite.
It is interesting isn't it, how an album that some of us think is poor is the favourite of someone else. I think that perhaps the greatest thing about FM if you include all of the solo careers of the various members is that there is really someone for everyone.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

Seems like for me my favorite Danny song is the one I am listening to at the moment. I am rather partial to the Bare Trees/Future Games era, however. And yet, lately, I think my favorite thing by Danny is Something Inside of Me from Shrine 69. His vocals are great and, unless I am wrong and the lead is Peter, the guitar is amazing. Incredible sustain.

Rick
Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Jimmy McCulloch was 16 when he joined Thunderclap Newman, and he had great guitar chops just like Danny. I find the two guitarists led similar paths, since Danny had a total mental breakdown. In Jimmy's case he later joined Paul McCartney's Wings, and died of a heroin overdose in 1979.
Interesting that you mention Jimmy McCulloch...I've always thought that Danny (post-FMac) would've been a perfect choice as Wings guitarist. Some of his songwriting on Midnight In San Juan has a very "Wings"-ish feel...even his reggae version of "Let It Be" sounds like a Wings track.

Quote:
I don't recall ever reading that....at least not at that point when Brian was dumped. Although, I recall Danny's name being mentioned by Jagger a few years down the road, when searching for Mick Taylor's replacement (if you recall, Ron Wood wasn't their first choice...it took 'em quite a while to choose. They'd considered Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, Wayne Perkins among quite a few others).

OOOPS...I missed this exchange when I was reading through the thread...sorry about that, guys:

Quote:

Quote:
Well, well, well. Although to be fair, the Stones did audition many guitarists before deciding on Ron Wood, but being English he would've certainly been near the top of the list. Just depends on if he'd actually want to step back into the limelight to that extent??

Last edited by chiliD; 10-26-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Interesting that you mention Jimmy McCulloch...I've always thought that Danny (post-FMac) would've been a perfect choice as Wings guitarist. Some of his songwriting on Midnight In San Juan has a very "Wings"-ish feel...even his reggae version of "Let It Be" sounds like a Wings track.
Danny was a big McCartney fan and I agree he would have been a perfect fit for Wings, at least in the studio. There still would have been that whole playing live problem though
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbie7 View Post
Seems like for me my favorite Danny song is the one I am listening to at the moment. I am rather partial to the Bare Trees/Future Games era, however. And yet, lately, I think my favorite thing by Danny is Something Inside of Me from Shrine 69. His vocals are great and, unless I am wrong and the lead is Peter, the guitar is amazing. Incredible sustain.

Rick
The lead is definitely Danny himself: the typical vibrato, the licks, the way the sustains are cut off. Need I say more.