Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
double ditto.
I don't know HOW I double dittoed? I only typed it once, but it posted twice.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
However it would make me a bit sad to think that of after making millions on this last tour-- (didn't S/L make like 35mil each and J/M made 15 mil each? for some reason those #'s are in my head ) that $ is still the main focus? come on, they're all set for life at this point; hopefully they are all mature enough to not piss that kind of $ away....so must the main objective really be to make the most $ possible? sort of sad if that's the case. but I guess maybe that's the business.
-Lis
I do think it's all about the money now. As for Lindsey, I understand he's got 4 dependants now, and I'm sure it would be nice to leave them all SET for life.
But, for the music, I think it's kinda sad. Touring, playing the same old worn out songs, rehashing a THIRTY year old breakup......gimme a break.
Maybe when Mick and John ARE too old to tour, they could do a studio album with Chris.
God only knows how much better she'll sound in five years!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've often gotten the feeling that Fleetwood Mac... Mick & Stevie most especially... don't feel like they're a "vital" and "active" band unless they're touring.

So, for the most part, I think the touring IS done for a love of the music, but I definitely agree that the money they stand to make each time, is a very compelling incentive indeed.

I said long ago that I'd rather have a brand new Mac or solo album every other year, than all of the extensive touring.
Maybe it's because I'm not a concert-goer, but the touring always feels like wasted time to me.

One more studio album... this time written from the ground up... focusing on the Nicks & Buckingham dynamic, would be wonderful, IMO.
And then I'd like to see at least one last album with the 'Rumours' five.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
But, for the music, I think it's kinda sad. Touring, playing the same old worn out songs, rehashing a THIRTY year old breakup......gimme a break.
Oh, it's a joke and the "band" has become the punchline.

The Dance was done for the money, we all know that. It had nothing to do with making quality music or becoming vital again, it was about lining their coffers. I thought a new album (Say You Will) was a good sign, but then when they went out on tour, it became obvious that it was just about the money all over again. The breakup drama, their hamming it up for the crowds, the verbatim speeches (and movements) every night, etc. Fleetwood Mac is no longer a band when they tour, they're an acting troupe with unnecessary extra players. Get out there and show us that you can be good live instead of parodying yourselves or pack up the plantation and let someone else book your dates at the blasted venues.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I've often gotten the feeling that Fleetwood Mac... Mick & Stevie most especially... don't feel like they're a "vital" and "active" band unless they're touring.
After forty years in the business, if those two really think they're "vital" simply by touring and rehashing the same old crap, they're delusional and it makes me wonder how such idiots became so successful.

Quote:
One more studio album... this time written from the ground up... focusing on the Nicks & Buckingham dynamic, would be wonderful, IMO.
Dream on, silly dreamer...

Quote:
And then I'd like to see at least one last album with the 'Rumours' five.
I'm ready for Chris' return right now. Nicks and Buckingham have nothing to offer us as a duo at this point and it would make for a dull listen, in my opinion. I'd like to hear some new Fleetwood Mac harmonies before I die, not years-old Lindsey Buckingham tunes with a newly cut Stevie background vocal slapped onto it's ass at the last minute or Stevie Nicks tunes with obnoxious "VSO Lindsey" crooning in the background.

I sure as **** didn't think I missed Christine back when Say You Will came out or when I saw them live, but in retrospect, I miss her like I'd miss my penis if it suddenly vanished into thin air. We need Chris back, more than ever, in my view.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
After forty years in the business, if those two really think they're "vital" simply by touring and rehashing the same old crap, they're delusional and it makes me wonder how such idiots became so successful.

Dream on, silly dreamer...

I'm ready for Chris' return right now. Nicks and Buckingham have nothing to offer us as a duo at this point and it would make for a dull listen, in my opinion. I'd like to hear some new Fleetwood Mac harmonies before I die, not years-old Lindsey Buckingham tunes with a newly cut Stevie background vocal slapped onto it's ass at the last minute or Stevie Nicks tunes with obnoxious "VSO Lindsey" crooning in the background.

I sure as **** didn't think I missed Christine back when Say You Will came out or when I saw them live, but in retrospect, I miss her like I'd miss my penis if it suddenly vanished into thin air. We need Chris back, more than ever, in my view.
Good God, diss, don't you think you're being a little harsh, calling Mick and Stevie "idiots"? Aren't we a fan board? I'm all for teasing and mocking and criticizing but to (excuse the pun) diss them so adamantly and cruelly and still be a fan? I genuinely like the people of whom I consider myself a fan. And I know Stevie can be ditzy, and she comes off as self-centered sometimes (hell, I'm the same way), but you call her an idiot for that? Don't you have a fondness for her earlier works? (Of course I'm going to defend Stevie big time here because I love her so much). But this isn't just the fanatic in me speaking.

If you were being facetious (what with the laughing emoticon and all), then disregard what I just said).

I agree that a Say You Will 2 would be a useless endeavor, but are we so certain that those two have nothing left for us? I thought Lindsey's songwriting on that album was fantastic and I love or like most of Stevie's on there.

That being said, I still would much rather have Christine in the mix, and the penis comment was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyStew
I said long ago that I'd rather have a brand new Mac or solo album every other year, than all of the extensive touring.
Maybe it's because I'm not a concert-goer, but the touring always feels like wasted time to me.
Ditto. Though I would like to go one of their live shows one day, I'd prefer a new album. The latter is just more important to me.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
If you were being facetious (what with the laughing emoticon and all), then disregard what I just said).
I was.

However, in reality, I do think Mick is an idiot of the highest order, but not Stevie.

Quote:
I agree that a Say You Will 2 would be a useless endeavor, but are we so certain that those two have nothing left for us? I thought Lindsey's songwriting on that album was fantastic and I love or like most of Stevie's on there.

That being said, I still would much rather have Christine in the mix, and the penis comment was funny.
Nicks and Buckingham working on songs from the ground up? Yes, I am absolutely positive that they have nothing to offer me that I would find very appetizing. They're at the point now where they are not the great collaborators that they once were, they don't have as much in common musically as they did at the height of their success and I predict we'd get an album of compromise rather than something both of them are 100% proud of. As it is, I love Lindsey's material more than ever, but Stevie has once again retreated into half-baked territory as far as I'm concerned (i.e. half of it is fantastic and half of it is crap). But it's all personal taste.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was.

However, in reality, I do think Mick is an idiot of the highest order, but not Stevie.
Well, there are a lot things I've learned through various boards and in his book that I don't like at all, but I don't think I'm ready to call him an idiot. He's said and done things I don't approve of, basically. But you probably know a lot more about all that than I do.

Quote:
Nicks and Buckingham working on songs from the ground up? Yes, I am absolutely positive that they have nothing to offer me that I would find very appetizing. They're at the point now where they are not the great collaborators that they once were, they don't have as much in common musically as they did at the height of their success and I predict we'd get an album of compromise rather than something both of them are 100% proud of. As it is, I love Lindsey's material more than ever, but Stevie has once again retreated into half-baked territory as far as I'm concerned (i.e. half of it is fantastic and half of it is crap). But it's all personal taste.
Well, I enjoy all of Stevie's songs on Say You Will except "Silver Girl." I don't think any of them are as good as her earlier songs, but I still like them. More songs as good as "Destiny Rules" and "Running Through the Garden" would be great, but I'm not entirely sure that she can do something like them again. (Not like them, but I mean of the same quality). As for Lindsey and Stevie doing different things musically, I want to think that they can just let each other do what they want to do, not make decisions about each other's songs and such. But then maybe it would be a Stevie solo album/Lindsey solo album put together, I don't know. Maybe I'm being totally unrealistic.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sure your analogy would bring a tear to her eye if she read that.

it gave me a chuckle though. and yes i miss her too.

-Lis
Old 03-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Finally, you're coming around to my world!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, there are a lot things I've learned through various boards and in his book that I don't like at all, but I don't think I'm ready to call him an idiot. He's said and done things I don't approve of, basically. But you probably know a lot more about all that than I do.
Oh, come on. Look at the poor decisions he's made. He's lost MILLIONS of dollars, more than once. He'll go for any get rich quick scheme.
I wouldn't leave the man alone in my house. He'd steal the silverware!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, come on. Look at the poor decisions he's made. He's lost MILLIONS of dollars, more than once. He'll go for any get rich quick scheme.
Oh please. He'd steal the plasticware if it's not bolted down.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I'm sure your analogy would bring a tear to her eye if she read that.

it gave me a chuckle though. and yes i miss her too.

-Lis

I miss the soft buffer between the extreme tracks that Lindsey and Stevie put in. Say You Will is just too much at times, like Murrow followed by Illume. Her voice is golden and the harmonies were just delicious, I yearn for the days of old.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, like I was saying, I don't know as much about him as most of y'all do.

On that note, does anyone want to come in and defend him aganist these claims?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I miss the soft buffer between the extreme tracks that Lindsey and Stevie put in. Say You Will is just too much at times, like Murrow followed by Illume. Her voice is golden and the harmonies were just delicious, I yearn for the days of old.
Wow, you said it there.