The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Homer spoke very well for the rest of us here. In my opinion, SYW consisted of 2 solo albums thrown together for marketing purposes. It's gone & forgotten as far as I'm concerned. And, Christine was NOT a back up singer in Fleetwood Mac and Chris, Mick & John were NOT the back up band. The Rumours line-up was made up of 5 equal parts which added up to a wonderful, magical whole.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I think Homer spoke very well for the rest of us here. In my opinion, SYW consisted of 2 solo albums thrown together for marketing purposes. It's gone & forgotten as far as I'm concerned. And, Christine was NOT a back up singer in Fleetwood Mac and Chris, Mick & John were NOT the back up band. The Rumours line-up was made up of 5 equal parts which added up to a wonderful, magical whole.
Well said Macfan!

The Rumours lineup had a chemistry, a magic all of its own.

With Christine gone the balance went with her.

I quite like SYW although (I'm going to sound like a stuck record now) it's too long.

Now when they play live there's more than one opportunity to go for a wee if you need to.

When I saw them at Earls Court my jacket splipped off the back of the seat and fell down outside the seating area. Not to worry I thought I'll fetch it when World Turning comes on. As it happens I went to get it when Come was playing. How convenient! Or have I got that the wrong way round?

Gail
Old 01-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Yet, you post this under Chris' forum. I would dare say, that nearly all of us in this forum WERE heartbroken by her departure.
Preaching to the choir?, about how that you're not heartbroken that she's gone.... where's my Kleenex?
I'm not trying to jump your ass, but,.............we, here, are HUGE Christine fans, and, NOT happy that she's gone.
I agree with you in that I miss Christine being in the band, but I don't see the problem with Miss Vicky's comments. If we can poke fun at and criticize the other members of the band as we please, I don't see why Christine should be immune to that. It's generally accepted on this board, right? We shouldn't have to be afraid to say we really don't like this or that. On the other hand, I don't think she would have necessarily been preaching to the choir had she said this in another forum, because I'm sure the Christine fans would pop up there as well. Either way, I don't think it's a big deal.

As for my opinion about the whole thing...she said that she prefers the emphasis on individual voices instead of harmonies, and though I can see that, I just don't feel the same way. I look to the solo albums for emphasis on the individual voices and really, really enjoy the harmonies in Fleetwood Mac, which I often like even more when Christine is involved. I'm not a huge fan of "Come" or "Murrow," but that's me. I do think SYW has some of Lindsey's best, though. Even though some of it plays like a solo album to me, couldn't one say the same for his Tusk material?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I agree with you in that I miss Christine being in the band, but I don't see the problem with Miss Vicky's comments. If we can poke fun at and criticize the other members of the band as we please, I don't see why Christine should be immune to that. It's generally accepted on this board, right? We shouldn't have to be afraid to say we really don't like this or that. On the other hand, I don't think she would have necessarily been preaching to the choir had she said this in another forum, because I'm sure the Christine fans would pop up there as well. Either way, I don't think it's a big deal.

Well said.

I don't get all this anger this place has had lately. Some people can express themselves, but others can't? I don't get it.

And as for Chris.....I wasn't that heartbroken either that she left the band. I'd rather have her happy than have her doing tours/albums that she doesn't want to do to please the fans. Besides, we probably wouldn't have ITM if she stayed.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I'm not trying to jump your ass, but,.............we, here, are HUGE Christine fans, and, NOT happy that she's gone.
DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH. I never said that I was happy that she's gone. I said that I was not heartbroken about it, and there's a difference. I also said I like most of Christine's work and the work that Fleetwood Mac has done with her but apparently you failed to read that part. And you are jumping my ass, which is fine, but you could at least consider everything I've said (rather than just what you disagree with) before you do it.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I definitely prefer FM with Christine. I did think SYW was overall, a very good album. Definitely some of Lindsey's best work to date. But for me, it was because of his improved lyrical skills, rather than Christine's departure. I liked most of Stevie's songs. But dare I say, I liked many on TISL better?

But the bottom line is, as much as I miss Chris, I will take FM any way I can get them. Short of Bekka Bramlett.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Definitely some of Lindsey's best work to date. But for me, it was because of his improved lyrical skills, rather than Christine's departure. I liked most of Stevie's songs. But dare I say, I liked many on TISL better?
I am so with you on this.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Jr.
I don't understand why people say that Christine is out of FM. Sure, she didn't tour for say you will and you can hear her only on a few songs and she is listed as a guest, but I've read reviews of syw saying that they miss Christine, and some of the reviewers didn't seem to know that she played on it.

And last year she said something like "There isn't a day that I don't think about Fleetwood Mac", right ?

So, we might see her return for a new album...

As much as I am a LB fan, I would love to see her playing with the band again.
I know this is weird but...christine never really did it for me. Her songs were all right, but I just was never interested in her. Whenever I saw her, she looked so bored. Seeing LB and SN together on this tour this year and last year was so awesome. It was like we could relive the Buckingham Nicks magic

I wouldn't mind if she didn't come back. I enjoyed "Say You Will" a whole lot with out her.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not a Christine fan, but a die hard Rumours lineup fan. To me, that lineup is the FLEETWOOD MAC I adore.

So SYW is not one of my fave albums (nor Behind the Mask). I don't see SYW as 2 joined solo albums, but I do realize something is missing, and is not only Chris voice, but the chemistry of the 5 guys working together in a studio, and producing huge albums as Tusk, Rumours or Tango.

John and Mick as the rhythm section, Lindsey the architect, Stevie a queen of rock bringing beautiful songs, Christine with other beautiful songs and adding the glue that makes the Fleetwood Mac sound, (yes, to me the Fleetwood Mac sound is not brought by Lindsey, but by the 5 guys)

Well the point of this thread was asking if Chris is out of the band. Sadly, to me, she is out, but I know she would be welcome.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The only thing I miss on syw is Christine's warm voice. But I'd like to say that it's stupid to call it a bad album because she's absent. Everyone agrees that there are some (very) poor songs on it, but on the opposite are very beautiful ones as well. With her in the band it would've been a SUPERB cd, without any weak ones. But hey, syw is sometimes very pleasant and some songs really touch you. Something you cannot say about those idiot "idols" or Britney's.

Rock on gold dust woman!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Jr.
The only thing I miss on syw is Christine's warm voice. But I'd like to say that it's stupid to call it a bad album because she's absent. Everyone agrees that there are some (very) poor songs on it, but on the opposite are very beautiful ones as well. With her in the band it would've been a SUPERB cd, without any weak ones. But hey, syw is sometimes very pleasant and some songs really touch you. Something you cannot say about those idiot "idols" or Britney's.

Rock on gold dust woman!
I agree that SYW has some fantastic material, but I was wondering...does everyone think there are some very poor songs on it? I'm just curious to know if there's someone out there who likes every track on SYW. So many are so different to me that it would be notable if someone did like every one of them, but I still wouldn't be surprised. I guess this the wrong forum for the question, though, huh?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree that SYW has some fantastic material, but I was wondering...does everyone think there are some very poor songs on it? I'm just curious to know if there's someone out there who likes every track on SYW. So many are so different to me that it would be notable if someone did like every one of them, but I still wouldn't be surprised. I guess this the wrong forum for the question, though, huh?
Are there some very poor songs on SYW? I think so.

-Come (great live, but it's pure torture on the record)
-Say You Will (I get cavities just listening to it)
-Peacekeeper (compared to the solo version, this is the pits; I despise how they slowed it down and I can't stand Stevie on it)
-Bleed To Love Her (not a poor song per se, but it's a waste of space)
-Thrown Down (I can't stand it)
-Illume (what were they thinking?)

Old 01-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do not like every track on SYW. Usually, I end up skipping over Illume, MTOiHG, and Red Rover. If I'm in a certain mood, I'll listen to those tracks.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Are there some very poor songs on SYW? I think so.

-Come (great live, but it's pure torture on the record)
-Say You Will (I get cavities just listening to it)
-Peacekeeper (compared to the solo version, this is the pits; I despise how they slowed it down and I can't stand Stevie on it)
-Bleed To Love Her (not a poor song per se, but it's a waste of space)
-Thrown Down (I can't stand it)
-Illume (what were they thinking?)
Diss, what about Silver Girl??
Old 01-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
. . . Say You Will (I get cavities just listening to it)
. . .
ROTFLMAO

I actually like Say You Will but think 1. She should have sung it in a higher voice and 2. she should have added a third stanza after the guitar solo.

But, they, as usual, did not call and ask me beforehand