User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Awwww. And Christine has been gone as long as he's been alive.

Michele
yup, just about exactly. he just knew the song as hugely popular / well known.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chicago Tribune
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...e-stevie-nicks

Concert review: Fleetwood Mac at the United Center

April 14, 2013|Greg Kot | Music critic

It was billed as a Fleetwood Mac concert Saturday at the United Center, but it was really more about the California duo that Mick Fleetwood invited to join the band in 1974, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.

Lindsey and Stevie were the Jay-Z and Beyonce of the ‘70s. They were an under-achieving folk-rock duo transformed into a power couple with Fleetwood Mac, a core ingredient in three multimillion-selling albums that provided 15 of the 23 songs performed Saturday: “Fleetwood Mac” (1975), “Rumours” (1977) and “Tusk” (1979).

The concert turned into an extended dialogue between the two, with the rest of Mac’s membership – both current and past – reduced to ancillary roles. Buckingham and Nicks were more than just bandmates, of course, but lovers who broke up just as Fleetwood Mac broke big. That personal travail provided a subtext for countless songs, and the soap opera has continued to play out over the decades. Buckingham played hide-and-seek with the band while conducting a solo career, and he and Nicks appeared uneasy allies at best on recent tours. On Saturday, they were on cozier terms, and the songs and presentation underlined it.

Fleetwood Mac has a rich history that reaches back to swinging London during the late ‘60s. The band was named after its rhythm section, which is still intact. Though he looks more than ever like he could be Fagin’s goofball sidekick in “Oliver Twist,” Mick Fleetwood remains an inventive drummer, steeped in blues but capable of coloring arrangements with orchestral flair. Hey, the man’s got a gong – and wind chimes! – and he knows how to use them. Band cofounder John McVie provided the bass breakdown in “The Chain,” a moment so iconic that it got an ovation from the capacity crowd. But even though Fleetwood got a drum solo, he and McVie were basically just part of the backing band on this night.

Another crucial player in the “Rumours” run written out of the script was Christine McVie, the U.K. keyboardist whose sultry hits were every bit as resonant as those of Nicks and Buckingham. But McVie retired in 1998, and her songs have been retired from the set list, with one exception – “Don’t Stop.”

It was that song that urged, “Don’t you look back, yesterday’s gone” – solid advice for most rock bands trying to remain relevant. Though the set was loaded with yesterday’s songs, Fleetwood Mac does have its own anti-nostalgia machine. Buckingham still plays like a guy looking for his first break. Only his gray hair betrayed any signs of aging. His voice remains pliable and strong, if slightly deranged in its most fevered moments. As a guitarist, he’s a finger-picker who can sound like he’s got four hands going at once, playing lead and rhythm lines simultaneously while mixing a grab-bag of influences – everything from bluegrass to hard rock. He described “Big Love” as a “meditation” on change, but this was more like an exorcism. He attacked his guitar as much as plucked it, a ferocious solo performance that was easily the night’s highlight.

Nicks took longer to warm to the occasion. Her range has narrowed and her register has lowered, and attempts to stretch out and talk-sing through “Rhiannon,” “Gold Dust Woman” and “Sara” turned these warhorses sludgy and slack. But when Fleetwood, McVie and several backing musicians and singers exited, Nicks had the stage to herself with Buckingham, and the intimacy and space in the arrangements suited her. “Landslide” finished with the duo clasping hands, and they resurrected “Without You,” a song from their pre-Mac days that allowed their voices to blend like the California-pop innocents they once were.

Buckingham responded to Nicks’ tune with one he wrote a decade ago about the couple, “Say Goodbye.” The guitarist even broke out the “c” word – “closure” – in describing his relationship with Nicks. Once again, the stage was empty except for the two singers as their public therapy session dissolved into darkness. Then they exited holding hands.

greg@gregkot.com
Old 04-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I love.. Love..

The "Dreams" video.. Cool view since so many concerts i was always on the side.. Ok performance, but really cool view / video.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ok..

So I love the "Rhiannon". Dance right before Stevie begins the "dreams unwind" vocals.. Great video capture.. I love the bare trees focus in the middle of my room..
Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Second Hand News

World Turning

Sara

Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy

Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

love the videos but where is Sisters of the Moon?! i am dying to hear it!!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
love the videos but where is Sisters of the Moon?! i am dying to hear it!!
Here's Sisters...

Most of the Chicago show is online now.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thank you spynote!! i really appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a question about Gypsy. I've noticed that in every video so far Stevie has lowered parts of the song, especially "and it lights up the night." I hadn't realized that before until I saw the band at MSG, and it was very noticeable at that concert and in videos of the tour since the audience is always singing that part of the song higher. Does anyone know when Stevie first made the changes? And was it for the Say You Will tour? Just curious, as I'm not sure if singing it higher would actually be that much of a strain for her voice, at least not like later in the song with "And if I was a child...enough for me to love."
Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I have a question about Gypsy. I've noticed that in every video so far Stevie has lowered parts of the song, especially "and it lights up the night." I hadn't realized that before until I saw the band at MSG, and it was very noticeable at that concert and in videos of the tour since the audience is always singing that part of the song higher. Does anyone know when Stevie first made the changes? And was it for the Say You Will tour? Just curious, as I'm not sure if singing it higher would actually be that much of a strain for her voice, at least not like later in the song with "And if I was a child...enough for me to love."
It started with SYW. I am also puzzled why she dodges the high melody on this line, especially since she hits the same high notes when she sings "I STILL see your BRIGHT eyes..." at the end. My theory is that Steve Real probably gives Stevie a nightly note allowance. I'm serious. She is probably allowed to exceed the ___ note no more than a dozen times per show. I suppose this helps to ensure that she is keeping some left in the tank as the tour drags on...

Also, this is the same high note that she hits during "Without You:" "...in this complicated world and there you ARE..."

Last edited by HejiraNYC; 04-15-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
She sings it low on the Live in Boston version too. I'm just listening to it now.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, that's the earliest video I've seen her do it. The Dance has the same vocal as the studio recording. Interesting theory about her vocal coach. I think that makes sense, especially if Stevie's thinking ahead, keeping her voice ok until the first leg of the tour ends.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Full Chicago Recording

Here's the full Chicago show (mp3's) - Recorded by April Panichaya. She wanted me to post the show for your guys and anyone who went and would like it.

She couldn't post it herself as she's still waiting to be verified to be a member... So to the mods who verify, maybe check your email for her reply to you questions...

The sound on the recording is really good! Little bit of distortion here and there, nothing major, it's a nice warm sound.

Check it out: Mediafire

Thanks for recording April!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Huffington Post, click for 22 photos:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3085104.html

Fleetwood Mac United Center Photos: Stevie Nicks And Her Crew Hit Chicago Posted: 04/15/2013

As the Tribune's Greg Kot puts it, "the Jay-Z and Beyonce of the '70s" hit Chicago on Saturday for a sold-out show at the United Center.

Led by Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac played their first of two shows in the Chicago area this year with a set that relied largely on hits from some of the band's most iconic, decades-old albums: "Rumours," "Tusk" and their self-titled 1975 album.

Photographer Joshua Mellin was on hand for the show and shared some great shots with HuffPost.

Ahead of the show, a number of Chicago musicians spoke with Time Out Chicago about their favorite songs from the hugely influential band.

Fleetwood Mac return to the Chicago area on June 14 for a show at Allstate Arena.