User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

i'm referring to Say You Will album. for example, listen to What's The World Coming to. nasality kicks in hard there, and makes it completely unlistenable.

to my ears, and watching Destiny rules doc, the problem was that LB didn't take all the control anymore, but shared it with Nicks to appease her. another exhibit is their 2014 EP. she co-produced, and neither was happy. he didn't take all control, and she didn't have all control either.
But at least with Stevie singing with him, it sounds like an actual band. Most of his songs on Tusk, Mirage and TITN are just him.

What makes it such a shame is how good they were when they did all properly collaborate.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
But at least with Stevie singing with him, it sounds like an actual band. Most of his songs on Tusk, Mirage and TITN are just him.

What makes it such a shame is how good they were when they did all properly collaborate.
His real contribution to the band was production on the girls' songs. His own songs with FM after Rumours were mostly just him. And the only hit from any of that was Big Love, really.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
His real contribution to the band was production on the girls' songs. His own songs with FM after Rumours were mostly just him. And the only hit from any of that was Big Love, really.
Tusk and Sara were hits from Tusk.

Hold Me and Gypsy were hits from Mirage. (was Gypsy last Nicks FM hit?)

last FM huge hits from all 5 were Christine's Everywhere and Little Lies, besides Big Love.

Peacekeeper was all over the radio when i didn't even pay attention to FM or LB, so guessing that was a hit too.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-09-2020, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tusk and Sara were hits from Tusk.

Hold Me and Gypsy were hits from Mirage. (was Gypsy last Nicks FM hit?)

last FM huge hits from all 5 were Christine's Everywhere and Little Lies, besides Big Love.

Peacekeeper was all over the radio when i didn't even pay attention to FM or LB, so guessing that was a hit too.
I think they mean out of Lindsey's post 1979 songs.

Which is an interesting theory, that Lindsey put all the work into the girl's songs so that he could enjoy his own stuff all on his own, not letting anyone else in.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Listen to the demo of Hold Me, and what the final product was, and see how important his production was to the songs.

Sure, the bones of the song were there, but not the magic!

Gypsy, even more so!
Old 05-09-2020, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think they mean out of Lindsey's post 1979 songs.

Which is an interesting theory, that Lindsey put all the work into the girl's songs so that he could enjoy his own stuff all on his own, not letting anyone else in.
no, the person stated post-Rumours. not post-Tusk.

and yes, Tusk was a hit, still is, and very much a band song. but then many other Tusk songs are not. it runs the gamut.

and then on Mirage, Lindsey worked hard on girls songs, making little masterpieces from Hold Me and Gypsy. and then on Tango Lindsey and Chris worked together, producing a relatively cohesive album.

in the last 15 or so years, Lindsey tried extremely hard to go for that band thing that you and others mention and crave. Stevie wouldn't have it. however he (and Mick) tried to entice her, she kept refusing. then Chris came back and jumped right in! that's why BuckVie sounds so much Fleetwood Mac-y. because those songs were meant to entice Stevie to work all together as a band again. recreate from the ground up, building songs together, that magic that so many here crave and that was broken after Rumours.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
that's why BuckVie sounds so much Fleetwood Mac-y. because those songs were meant to entice Stevie to work all together as a band again. recreate from the ground up, building songs together, that magic that so many here crave and that was broken after Rumours.
Because it's ALL the musicians that are in Fleetwood Mac on it?(yeah, Goat ain't a musician - PLONK PLONK PLONK!)

We know what's broken about FM.

Mick's meal ticket.

Her High Goatness.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
We know what's broken about FM.
Still is, too. Just ask Mick, Christine, Campbell, and Finn. I almost hope they do an album without her, again.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 05-09-2020 at 09:07 PM..
Old 05-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well "Peacekeeper" was a hit, on AC and making #80 on the Billboard Hot 100, which is about the best a legacy band can do.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
no, the person stated post-Rumours. not post-Tusk.

and yes, Tusk was a hit, still is, and very much a band song. but then many other Tusk songs are not. it runs the gamut.

and then on Mirage, Lindsey worked hard on girls songs, making little masterpieces from Hold Me and Gypsy. and then on Tango Lindsey and Chris worked together, producing a relatively cohesive album.

in the last 15 or so years, Lindsey tried extremely hard to go for that band thing that you and others mention and crave. Stevie wouldn't have it. however he (and Mick) tried to entice her, she kept refusing. then Chris came back and jumped right in! that's why BuckVie sounds so much Fleetwood Mac-y. because those songs were meant to entice Stevie to work all together as a band again. recreate from the ground up, building songs together, that magic that so many here crave and that was broken after Rumours.
I meant including Tusk.

Why are none of the girls on any of Lindsey's Mirage or Tusk songs? Tango obviously Stevie was barely around so it's understandable, but she was literally sitting in the studio for the entirety of Tusk and Mirage and was completely wasted.

I'm not even sure Chris is on Lindsey's songs on BuckVie, if she is it's not obvious and she's certainly not on all of them, like he is on hers.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not even sure Chris is on Lindsey's songs on BuckVie, if she is it's not obvious and she's certainly not on all of them, like he is on hers.
Chris actually took and re-wrote some of originally Lindsey songs on Buckingham McVie, not just that she's on them. she is even lead singer on some of them. Think Red Sun. that was originally Lindsey's song.

Chris and Lindsey collaborate, add on to each other, work around each other, and enjoy that. look at how many co-writes are on Buckingham McVie. some of them started as Lindsey FM songs before Chris came back, while others started as Chris songs that she sent to him to collaborate.

and yes, toxic relationship and constant one-upmanship between Stevie and Lindsey has been a problem that started manifesting itself after Rumours and was definitely not helpful for band working as a unity. they both were probably picking their battles and that resulted in uneven although sometimes interesting products.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chris actually took and re-wrote some of originally Lindsey songs on Buckingham McVie, not just that she's on them. she is even lead singer on some of them. Think Red Sun. that was originally Lindsey's song.

Chris and Lindsey collaborate, add on to each other, work around each other, and enjoy that. look at how many co-writes are on Buckingham McVie. some of them started as Lindsey FM songs before Chris came back, while others started as Chris songs that she sent to him to collaborate.

and yes, toxic relationship and constant one-upmanship between Stevie and Lindsey has been a problem that started manifesting itself after Rumours and was definitely not helpful for band working as a unity. they both were probably picking their battles and that resulted in uneven although sometimes interesting products.
Interesting, I didn't know Red Sun was originally Lindsey's. But still, Lindsey is singing on all 5 songs on BuckVie that Chris sings lead on, Chris definitely doesn't sing on all 5 of Lindsey's leads. Point is that after Rumours, Lindsey doesn't like sharing his tracks, which made a mockery of Fleetwood Mac being a 'band'.

I just think it's sad, what we missed out on had he allowed others in. But then strangely on Say You Will Stevie is all over his songs. Probably because he was forced to as part of her agreeing to do it.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interesting, I didn't know Red Sun was originally Lindsey's. But still, Lindsey is singing on all 5 songs on BuckVie that Chris sings lead on, Chris definitely doesn't sing on all 5 of Lindsey's leads. Point is that after Rumours, Lindsey doesn't like sharing his tracks, which made a mockery of Fleetwood Mac being a 'band'.

I just think it's sad, what we missed out on had he allowed others in. But then strangely on Say You Will Stevie is all over his songs. Probably because he was forced to as part of her agreeing to do it.
guess you didn't have much interest in Buckingham McVie. it was all over their interviews at the time.

right, that's my point - your premise is flawed. there are tons of Lindsey tracks that are not "solo" after Rumours era, as you yourself point out. there are a good number that are solo too, sure. but it's not all or nothing, the way your theory is trying to present it.

so blaming it all on Lindsey doesn't work. he was trying really really hard to make a band album the last 15 years. there is someone else in that band who was putting a brake on it, repeatedly. we could have had several FM band albums since 2004. it's disingenuous to use the fact that Stevie repeatedly put a stop on those possible albums as an argument that it's all Lindsey's fault.

btw, I don't think Lindsey sings on Carnival Begins. and live, he definitely didn't sing on Too Far Gone (except maybe "too. far. gone" part, that the whole band sang on.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think Lindsey sings on Carnival Begins. and live, he definitely didn't sing on Too Far Gone (except maybe "too. far. gone" part, that the whole band sang on.
I swear I could hear Lindsey sining on the chorus of Carnival Begin. I hear that voice with the effect he uses. It's a very soft voice.

Where I try hardest to listen for him is one spot in "Caution" I don't think it's called the bridge section. It's the CAU-UUA-TION. I can't tell if it's Lindsey and Brandon or just Brandon!
Old 05-11-2020, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I swear I could hear Lindsey sining on the chorus of Carnival Begin. I hear that voice with the effect he uses. It's a very soft voice.

Where I try hardest to listen for him is one spot in "Caution" I don't think it's called the bridge section. It's the CAU-UUA-TION. I can't tell if it's Lindsey and Brandon or just Brandon!
yes! there is that one part in Caution that sounds soo so Lindsey ("Straight out of the news"). i have been re-listening to that part and couldn't figure it out, same as you. can be either way. and we know he contributed some of his production tricks to the track, from what Ronnie was saying.