User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
When he introduces Sad Angel, he still calls it an "EP." You're right Elle that that makes searching very difficult for people who don't already know exactly what they are looking for.
i have some choice words for him that would be inappropriate to write here. but yeah, i should know better by now.

there's JB show recording, and when i tried to correct him you can hear him being all snide about it: "what's the name of it? it's called EP! no, it's called Extended Play... as in EEE-PEEE."

he obviously didn't get what that was about. not smart Linds, not smart.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

Location: By the beautiful 3 rivers in southeast Washington State

"Lindsey is never wearing an earpiece, so how come he can hear her during the Without You intro, but not during Landslide when he's closer to her? I don't understand?"

Hey I really really love your reviews of the shows. You are fantastic!

To answer your question, when Lindsey is standing in front of his mic he can hear everything that comes through everyone else's mic through his floor monitors. Stevie looks like she has floor monitors but they are teleprompters, so when he is standing by her he can't hear what's coming out of her mic or anything else. Stevie can hear with her "ears" regardless of where she stands. Does that make sense?

Again, thanks for your great input!!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdreamin View Post
"Lindsey is never wearing an earpiece, so how come he can hear her during the Without You intro, but not during Landslide when he's closer to her? I don't understand?"

Hey I really really love your reviews of the shows. You are fantastic!

To answer your question, when Lindsey is standing in front of his mic he can hear everything that comes through everyone else's mic through his floor monitors. Stevie looks like she has floor monitors but they are teleprompters, so when he is standing by her he can't hear what's coming out of her mic or anything else. Stevie can hear with her "ears" regardless of where she stands. Does that make sense?
Yes, it does. Thank you. I didn't know what those things on the floor in front of him actually did. I thought of them as speakers and I think I just assumed they sent sound out to the air and audience in general. I didn't realize that they sent sound to Lindsey -- which now makes perfect sense.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 07-04-2013 at 04:06 PM..
Old 07-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

Hi, newbie here! I don't have a lot to add to Michele's wonderful report on the Staples show, but I did want to add that I now understand why Lindsey's been calling this tour the lovefest.

The show had a really lovely, warm energy about it, a really strong undercurrent of warmth, love and appreciation amongst the band members and for the audience. And the audience loved them. Great vibes all around.

It was so much that when it came to the "Landslide" dedication, Stevie's dedication to (in order) Nigel Lythgoe, her costume designer, her family, Lindsey's family and the audience, I really wasn't surprised that she included the audience in the dedication. It was just that kind of night.

Other notes:

Stevie did sound a little hoarse on the first couple of songs, but her voice strengthened as the night went on. Her voice has clearly deteriorated over the years (Lindsey's too), but it happens to everybody at a certain age, and she still sounds really very good. Streisand's voice isn't the same either.

I found the whole "Lindsey can't hear me... I can say ANYTHING" really funny, because Stevie was fiddling with her ear monitor all night long. I don't know if it's a common thing for her, but she was adjusting it constantly. Not sure if she was getting the mix or volume she wanted.

Stevie really was hilarious when Lindsey was rambling on about how the drama of the group is behind them. And "Say Goodbye" is now about "resolve for the future"???

I got to Staples early, and saw a woman I think was Kristen Buckingham talking to two woman in the front row, dead center, and then to security before the show started. I know people had mentioned that she looks an awful lot like Stevie Nicks, but wow. She really does look like the younger, Brentwood mom version of Stevie (if that makes any sense). It was um.... startling.

The ushers were uber strict about cameras for the first part of the show. Seriously, they were coming around to people individually in the front rows before the show about NO CAMERAS. For the first several songs they were flashlighting anybody who dared to have a camera out. It was incredibly distracting, actually. I think I got a bright light in my eyes a few times, and I didn't even have a camera out. (At some point, they gave up).

I noticed a couple of teenage boys were in the front row getting incredibly into it, and especially Lindsey's performance. If they were Will and a friend, it was great to see.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwich View Post
Stevie really was hilarious when Lindsey was rambling on about how the drama of the group is behind them. And "Say Goodbye" is now about "resolve for the future"???
Welcome. I don't usually watch the Say Goodbye videos, but I look forward to seeing this one.

I don't know how Stevie interprets what he says in this intro, but I don't think Lindsey meant that he wrote Say Goodbye when their drama was over, because they weren't even speaking at the time. He wrote it when their illusions were over. They were disillusioned, but far from at peace with one another.

Based on a previous comment she made about the romance of the early years, I think she questions Lindsey's position that things seemed idyllic because they still had unrealistic dreams and expectations back then. I think she thinks there was an inherent romance about the time that was genuine, not the product of inexperience, fanciful dreams or naďve innocence. In private conversations, he may have disputed this. The other night she said he even got a little mad at her when she talked about the romance of it all.

Michele
Old 07-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
That's it - I'm bringing my flip camera tomorrow night if only to get GDW.

Jamie
Please record Sister's of the Moon and the Without You intro also.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Landslide includes most of dedication by Brian james

Gold Dust Woman by Brian james

Don't Stop by Brian james

Old 07-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Big Love by Beau Anderson

Old 07-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Welcome. I don't usually watch the Say Goodbye videos, but I look forward to seeing this one.

I don't know how Stevie interprets what he says in this intro, but I don't think Lindsey meant that he wrote Say Goodbye when their drama was over, because they weren't even speaking at the time. He wrote it when their illusions were over. They were disillusioned, but far from at peace with one another.

Michele
Well, the way Lindsey is telling it this tour, Say Goodbye was written in 2003. Which we know is not true. But maybe Stevie believes him.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Well, the way Lindsey is telling it this tour, Say Goodbye was written in 2003. Which we know is not true. But maybe Stevie believes him.
But does she think they were at peace? He's not saying that at all. In a way he is saying they were shattered, but needed that to move forward. What is her disagreement?

Michele
Old 07-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Michele, I always look forward to reading your posts- and this was very enjoyable. Thank you. Stevie wagging her finger at Lindsey, the back and forth between them - I live for their silly little moments. I hope this show was filmed. The same way I hope all their shows are filmed.....
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM
StreetAngel86
This message has been deleted by StreetAngel86.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybecca View Post
] Stevie wagging her finger at Lindsey, the back and forth between them - I live for their silly little moments. I hope this show was filmed. The same way I hope all their shows are filmed.....
Can you imagine the volumes and volumes of material that's out there and we will never get to see, although we would gladly pay for the privilege. If they recorded just the image you see on the overhead monitors every night that would be lovely to have as a dvd keepsake.

I remember seeing a segment on some sound engineer at the Sands Hotel who recorded hundreds and hundreds of Rat Pack performances over the years. They are somewhere rotting away in a vault when they belong to history. The same is true of this Fleetwood Mac goodies that will never be accessible to fans. But I hope we do get at least one official DVD out of this whole thing.

Michele
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Landslide includes most of dedication by Brian james
So cute how she jumps and holds out her hands in a "ta da" motion to let him know it's time for him to play.

Michele
Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Consequence of Sound by Wesley Hodges, July 5, 2013

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...les-center-73/

When you’ve been doing whatever it is you do for four-plus decades – ‘work’ can get routine and the difficult can be made to look easy. For Fleetwood Mac in 2013, even after playing over 35 shows (including several major festival appearances) to date, there appears to be a new life force propelling the legendary band. While the relatively dull and demographically broad crowd could have used some of the aforementioned life force at Los Angeles’ Staples Center on Wednesday night – Lindsay Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, and John McVie delivered nearly three straight hours of material from a majority of the band’s catalog (despite unfortunately ignoring the bluesy Peter Green years – but that was to be expected). And despite the absence of Christine McVie, fans ponying up are getting their money’s worth and a nice stroll down memory lane.

After a roaring ovation as the band took to the stage in the dark, the impressive lighting rig sprang to life and “Secondhand News” began an early run of major hits that included “The Chain” (replete with McVie’s bass-solo-you-know-by-heart) and “Dreams”. Anyone (Everyone?) who knows the catalog is adequately familiar with the truism that reads like a twisted tale of Shakespearean proportions. The lines just kept coming – whether it was Buckingham singing “the sound of your loneliness like a heartbeat,” during “Dreams”, Nicks’ dramatic delivery of the “So I’ll begin not to love you/ Turn around, you’ll see me runnin” verse during “Silver Springs” or “Been down one time/ Been down two times/ I’m never going back again” during “Never Going Back Again”, the tales of heartache and busted relationships rolled out in relentless form. Nicks would later dedicate “Landslide” to her father before delivering in inspiring form to pin drop silence in the Staples Center.

One of the major musical highlights during the set was the experimental foray out of the poppier realm of the catalog during the Fleetwood-steered “Tusk”, during which Nicks spun and floated around with a tambourine accented by her signature scarves while the band roared through a fierce rendition of the 1979 classic. A montage of the USC marching band playing the song and a PA blaring the marching band’s trademark brass was an essential kicker. Had school been in session, it would’ve been likely to see the modern Trojan Marching Band roll onto the stage but this production element did the trick. Buckingham’s worldly and tribal “Big Love” was the only selection from the 1987 mega success Tango In The Night and featured some aggressive strumming by the lead axe wielder. The set ended with the synth-infused “Stand Back” off Nicks’ 1987 LP, The Wild Heart, before an expectedly well-received and fierce run through of “Go Your Own Way”.

The night’s encore included the lengthiest drum solo I’ve heard since I last caught Widespread Panic, arriving during “World Turning” which sparked some last-minute energy for the thick layer of pop sheen that followed during “Don’t Stop”. Because that wasn’t enough, the veterans shuffled back out for another encore, toning things down with “Silver Springs” and a Buckingham-Nicks sign-off with “Say Goodbye”. The more melodic finale closed the night’s multi-faceted run through one of the all-time greatest band’s stroll down memory lane, and in the town that helped inspire and propel them during their almost unrivaled run of mainstream success. One can only hope such fortune strikes today’s crop of talent.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post

Not sure if this helps or makes it more complicated, but in the 2003 video (Sound Stage Lindsey Buckingham with special guest Stevie Nicks), Lindsey said in his Intro of Say Goodbye (also, Stevie was standing right next to him as he was saying it, so she heard it all)that he wrote the song in 1987 just shortly after "taking leave" of Fleetwood Mac to try and get his head together.

He said it was a song that just needed time to simmer. That it was a song about coming to terms with the fact that there can be little gain, without some loss and little redemption without forgiveness.

Obviously, from what he's saying now, the meaning of the song is different. I think when he is now talking about them being past all the drama, he's not talking about when he wrote the song in 87, he's looking past that time and talking about the 03-04 tour and 08-09 tour to what is going on right now. Likewise with Stevie. When she shakes her head no to what Lindsey says, she's not talking about the past, she also is referring to right now, meaning that her and Lindsey will never be drama free. It's a part of who they are. Lindsey may want all the drama to be gone, but Stevie doesn't think that will ever happen.