The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why FM is Bigger Than Ever (Houston Press)

Why Fleetwood Mac Is Bigger Than Ever

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/...ac_revival.php

By Corey DeitermanFri., Dec. 12 2014 at 7:00 AM

Fleetwood Mac will be playing a very special show in Houston on Monday night. It's special because it is the first time Christine McVie will be joining the band in a performance here since the early '90s at least. For many younger fans, this is their first opportunity to see the band's full classic lineup performing together.

And those younger fans? Well, there's a lot of them -- in fact, there may be more than ever. Against all odds, Fleetwood Mac has gone from a classic-rock band, relegated to bargain bins, to a thriving, relevant enterprise. Monday night's show will be a celebration of that fact.

Of course, this has nothing to do with new music on the part of the band, or even anything particularly special they've done. Sure, it probably ignited a little bit of renewed interest when Stevie Nicks and all those witch rumors became a focal point of the last season of American Horror Story. But even then, Fleetwood Mac's revival was rolling around beforehand.

It wasn't releasing new music for the first time in a decade either. 2013's Extended Play was Fleetwood Mac's first newly released material since 2003's Say You Will, a tepidly received album that missed the mark of their resurgence by years. While Extended Play was a welcome addition to their discography with some pretty solid songs on it, most younger fans probably never even noticed it came out.

No, the reason for their revival is indie rock and folk, which are massive these days. You can hardly go anywhere without hearing someone playing an acoustic guitar, once the sort of thing which was only ubiquitous in flashbacks to the long-forgotten era of hippies at parties noodling around on Beatles chords in clouds of weed smoke.

Bands like the Decemberists and City and Colour have brought Americana and folk into their indie-rock with astounding results. It's practically a new genre, nothing like the indie rock of yesteryear, represented by bands like Pavement or Archers of Loaf. Much of it is indebted to one band, too: Fleetwood Mac.

The dual harmonies of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. The bluesy, roots guitar from Buckingham, combined with the band's technical proficiency and tendency towards hard-rock breakdowns in their Americana jams. It's all there plain to see on Rumours, the modern blueprint for how to make a record like this.

The esteem of Rumours has always been great. It is one of the most lauded and greatest-selling records of all time. But where this sound had once fallen into disfavor, relegated to your parents' mixtapes while the kids were out breaking bottles and losing their **** to punk rock and metal, it has recently become cool again for the first time in 30 years.

A song like "The Chain" is so profoundly influential on a band like the Decemberists that one could almost accuse them of ripping it off. Even songs on their other records like "Landslide" have gone from your mom's favorite song to a legendary ballad held in esteem by singer-songwriter indie rockers around the world.

Dare I say it, my generation has all but abandoned the distorted guitars and revolutionary attitudes of metal to embrace plaid shirts and beautiful chord melodies. In essence, this is the Fleetwood Mac generation. Almost every twentysomething I know now adores the band and their inestimable influence on modern rock music.

When Fleetwood Mac plays in Houston on Monday, it will be the first show in our city as a full lineup in at least 20 years. But it will also be the first show they've played in Houston where their audience will be so vastly mixed. This isn't going to be a classic rock show where the average age of the audience member is middle-aged. It will be a legacy show, where everyone from teenagers to people in their thirties will congregate to pay their respects to the fore bearers of a genre.

The Mac is back, and bigger than ever.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Why Fleetwood Mac Is Bigger Than Ever

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/...ac_revival.php

Against all odds, Fleetwood Mac has gone from a classic-rock band, relegated to bargain bins, to a thriving, relevant enterprise.
I bought 'Fleetwood Mac' on cassette from a bargain bin for £2 in 1990. It was my fourth Fleetwood Mac album.

Wow, I know there's been a significant resurgence. It hadn't hit me it was quite as great as this writer makes out though...is it???
Old 12-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Bands like the Decemberists and City and Colour have brought Americana and folk into their indie-rock with astounding results. It's practically a new genre, nothing like the indie rock of yesteryear, represented by bands like Pavement or Archers of Loaf. Much of it is indebted to one band, too: Fleetwood Mac.
If anyone here hasn't listened to City and Colour, I can't encourage you enough to do so. Gorgeous, gorgeous acoustic folk music. Youtube the song As Much As I Ever Could, it's an excellent diving off point. Dallas Green has one of the most beautiful male voices I've ever heard.

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the Decemberists, though. That dude's voice, most notably his inflection, are just dreadful to my ears.

All things totalled, I very much agree with this journalist's deduction about Fleetwood Mac's resurgence, though. Millennials (anyone currently age 34 & under) are hugely into this folk rock revival, at least in my neck of the woods. Bands like the Fleet Foxes, City and Colour, the Decemberists, First Aid Kit, The Shins/Broken Bells, Grizzly Bear, Angus & Julia Stone, The War on Drugs, Josh Rouse, and so many others are all pulling their sound from bands like Fleetwood Mac, Crosby Stills & Nash, etc. This in turn has driven an interest in the classic bands like FM. All of this falls hand in hand with the resurgence of vinyl, too. Anyone who says all new music is crap just isn't listening to what's out there right now.

Last edited by louielouie2000; 12-12-2014 at 02:27 PM..
Old 12-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
If anyone here hasn't listened to City and Colour, I can't encourage you enough to do so. Gorgeous, gorgeous acoustic folk music. Youtube the song As Much As I Ever Could, it's an excellent diving off point. Dallas Green has one of the most beautiful male voices I've ever heard.

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the Decemberists, though. That dude's voice, most notably his inflection, are just dreadful to my ears.

All things totalled, I very much agree with this journalist's deduction about Fleetwood Mac's resurgence, though. Millennials (anyone currently age 34 & under) are hugely into this folk rock revival, at least in my neck of the woods. Bands like the Fleet Foxes, City and Colour, the Decemberists, First Aid Kit, The Shins/Broken Bells, Grizzly Bear, Angus & Julia Stone, The War on Drugs, Josh Rouse, and so many others are all pulling their sound from bands like Fleetwood Mac, Crosby Stills & Nash, etc. This in turn has driven an interest in the classic bands like FM. All of this falls hand in hand with the resurgence of vinyl, too. Anyone who says all new music is crap just isn't listening to what's out there right now.
Amen to everything you just said. I've actually been a fan of nearly all the bands and artists you've listed longer than FM, oddly enough, and while they didn't 'drive' me to FM, they do make some wonderful music. City and Colour and First Aid Kit are my two favourites from that list.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 12-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
If anyone here hasn't listened to City and Colour, I can't encourage you enough to do so. Gorgeous, gorgeous acoustic folk music.
I've been to Lincoln, Nebraska, and hell you know it ain't worth sh-t.
Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The dual harmonies of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.
And ... what about Christine? The unique sound of Fleetwood Mac is the three-way harmonies among the three singers, not just two of them. This writer lost me when s(he) made this mistake.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
And ... what about Christine? The unique sound of Fleetwood Mac is the three-way harmonies among the three singers, not just two of them. This writer lost me when s(he) made this mistake.
Yeah, that was dumb.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Ledgie

This is amazing to read. I didn't realize that FM was so popular with Milleninnals or that folk music was having such a resurgence. I grew up learning to play guitar to folk artists like Joni Mitchell; Peter, Paul & Mary; John Denver; Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, etc. Not only is our music crossing over, folk music from the 60's and 70's was rooted in the protest movements that have similar themes to what is going on in our nation today (e.g., war, civil rights, and inequality).
Old 12-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is certainly a new interest in FM that I have not seen since I became a fan of the band in the early 2000s. I'm in my mid 20s and have been a fan since I was 13/14. However, I've never seen so many in my age group talk about loving FM before. Most my age were always like "Huh, who?" or "I just like Landslide." You can say this is like the new "The Dance" era, which had also regenerated FM and brought them to the attention of younger audiences.