Yes 138 93.24%
No 6 4.05%
Suck it and see 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

Having said that, you don't want to look foolish. You do want a reason for writing, " FOR You You You You You You AND I" It's almost always easier to sing the I vowel vs. the E vowel. So keep your heart open and your eyes shut tight. What will be will be.
My point of contention is "I should've turned around and ran as fast as I can." It hurts my ears and offends me as a writer and lover of the language. There's no poetry in it; it's just wrong.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
How do you feel about "You can't plant no seed," in "What's The World Coming To?"

That may be just one example, but they've all played fast & loose with grammar from time to time.
While we're on the subject of grammar, Smile At You didn't bother me near as much as this little line from Destiny Rules:

'I didn't speak the language, but somehow I know that THAT would be the only time that we could be alone and foolish'

No reason to repeat 'that,' the line works with it eliminated (in fact, I don't sing it when I sing along). I've often wondered why this wasn't addressed instead of the verse tense-Bob Dylan episode in the doc. I can't believe LB let this one slide.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
As a writer....
Very well said! I agree that, ultimately, it should be left up to the songwriter. It's their art. That doesn't mean we can't critique it, as your composer friend pointed out, but it's up to the artist to express themselves how they choose. Whether or not it's grammatically correct.

I've always believed that's the point Stevie was trying to make with her "would you say that to Bob Dylan" comment. Cringe-worthy as it might have sounded, she wasn't placing herself in Dylan's league (she's said in the past that she's "no Bob Dylan"), she was simply using him as an example of a songwriter who doesn't follow the rules and conventions of writing.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 01-14-2014 at 04:27 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
But when you say "I should've turned around and ran as fast as I can," it's just atrocious. There's nothing beautiful about that misuse of the language. The tense disagreement just sounds ignorant. "I should have turned around and run as fast as I could" would have lost the rhyme but would have not lost any power; in fact, it would have been more powerful.
I actually think the line sounds better with the incorrect grammar. "I should have turn around and run as fast I could," just lands with a thud. Try singing it along.

Ironically, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but "I should have turned around and ran as fast as I can," was merely a throw-away/ad-libbed line near the very end of the 'Tusk' era demo of "Smile At You," and was nowhere to be found in the 'Mirage' era recordings.

It was only after the band (Lindsey?) decided to fashion a chorus out of it for the 'Say You Will' version, that it took on such prominence in the song. Thus becoming more offensive to some listeners.

Quote:
Language can be beautiful even in its imperfections.
On that, we agree.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Ummm...are you being serious? Because if Timbaland is involved, I'd have to strongly consider not buying the record at all.

On one hand, I understand and appreciate the idea of them possibly using someone completely unexpected. But Timbaland? Bleck. Fleetwood Mac is timeless, a term I would never use to describe a producer of [though admittedly hooky and well-recorded] pop music. I fear that five years from now, his work will sound dated.

matt
I fear you may not be familiar with the full spectrum of his work... or his gifts as a producer of drum sounds.

Anyway, highly recommend 20/20 Experience Part 2 for some beautiful guitar mixing as well as the always present percussive genius.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I might sound like a broken record on this forum about radio airplay.pun intended.LOL..

What are the chances of new tunes of Fleetwood Mac will get radio airplay this days in state of the radio climate as it is with big corp radio in charge.

Radio loved FM SYW outing in 2003 and play the crap out of it.It was great hearing SYW and Peacekeeper all the time back then out of my radio speakers at work, Walkman, car and at home on the big system.

We seen what happened little or no airplay to FM's EP Stevie's IYD CD and Lindsey s CD as radio round filed the CD's into the rubbish basket.

At this point I just want a new CD with 4 to 5 songs each from Stevie,Lindsey and Christine in my hands soon.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 01-14-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I actually think the line sounds better with the incorrect grammar. "I should have turn around and run as fast I could," just lands with a thud. Try singing it along.
It's not a pretty line, for sure. I would have just killed the line altogether and come up with something different. Unfortunately, Stevie seems to refuse to edit herself a lot of times, and that is to the detriment of the art, in my opinion.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
What are the chances of new tunes of Fleetwood Mac will get radio airplay this days in state of the radio claimant as it is with big corp radio in charge.
I agree. There will be little to no airplay.

Last edited by RockawayBlind; 01-14-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish Lindsey would reproduce Christine's FRIEND. That was a hit in my opinion waiting to happen.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
My point of contention is "I should've turned around and ran as fast as I can." It hurts my ears and offends me as a writer and lover of the language. There's no poetry in it; it's just wrong.
I completely understand.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree that Rick Rubin would be an excellent choice as producer for the next Mac album. I've thought about this for years and believe the band would all respect him, particularly Lindsey and Stevie (his work with Tom Petty alone would be enough to convince Stevie).
I saw a documentary about Rick Rubin a while ago and it became evident that he truly does attempt to recapture the original spirit of the recording artist, always insisting upon what he believes to be the best takes. He listens intently and makes, in my opinion, prudent choices about what remains and what is discarded. This would come in especially handy for Miss Nicks, whereas Christine and Lindsey seem to be more adept at editing themselves.
I also think Daniel Lanois would be great as a co-producer if need be.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It's not a pretty line, for sure. I would have just killed the line altogether and come up with something different. Unfortunately, Stevie seems to refuse to edit herself a lot of times, and that is to the detriment of the art, in my opinion.
As I pointed out, though, it was little more than a throwaway line near the end of the 'Tusk'-era demo. I doubt Stevie was married to it. If Lindsey was the sole arranger of the 'Say You Will' version, it was he who made it a focal point.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to say that I never had a problem with the lyrics for "Thrown Down" (the shift in tenses actually suited the song in my opinion), but I was always disturbed by the use of "ran" in "Smile At You". Johnny makes a valid point about Lindsey being the one to actually focus on what was undoubtedly an ad-libbed line in the beginning, most likely just thrown in as a rhyme whilst the song was being formulated.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They need a quick paced producer .

I dont understand how some of these artists pump out award winning top of the charts albums loaded with hits every 4 to 8 months or yearly with a new album to that matter.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As I pointed out, though, it was little more than a throwaway line near the end of the 'Tusk'-era demo. I doubt Stevie was married to it. If Lindsey was the sole arranger of the 'Say You Will' version, it was he who made it a focal point.
It was a throwaway line at the end of the Tusk-era demo. So what? It became a central line in a song. It appears at least 10 times in the song. So how can it be just a throwaway line? On what basis do you make that statement?

You doubt Stevie was married to it. Again, on what basis? Has she ever said that?

So it's Lindsey's fault now because he was the "sole arranger." Seriously? You saw the documentary, right? She dug her heels in when he pointed out that her grammar was incorrect in Thrown Down, comparing herself to Bob Dylan. So what makes you think she would not have dug her heels in on this one? If you have the information, please share.