The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess my unpopular opinion is that Stevie doesn't owe fans anything other than to be polite if you meet her in person. I think it's wonderful that she is doing what she wants to do at this stage of her life, just like Christine got to do what she wanted to do when she took off for all those years, and like Lindsey did what he wanted when he took off after Tango in the Night. I would love more solo music and more FM music but it has to be on Stevie's terms. I disagree that she is not creative...her "public" creativity is just shifting right now from writing new music to focusing on her performing. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Many performers don't write their own music, including "classic" rock stars, not just the current pop singers. I have seen Stevie perform live in 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2016 and I think she is better every time, so something is working. She had more energy in the 2016 show that I have ever seen, and I am thrilled for her and hope this next leg is even more successful.

I say "public" creativity because we actually don't know what she is doing writing wise...we know she wrote Games of Thrones poetry after her mother died and she must not be ready to turn these poems into music and share them with the world. I work with novelists, memoirists, biographers, and playwrights in my day job and the creative process is different for every person. As fans we can disagree and/or be disappointed, but at the end of the day the artists call the shots. No one is forcing us to buy their music/books or attend their shows, so both "sides" have some "power."
Old 02-18-2017, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightback View Post
* I like "Lady From The Mountain" and I like "Moonlight (A Vampire's Dream)". But it really bothers me she took from one to make the latter. "Lady" is one of her best unreleased demos and, to me, it was painfully sacrificed for "Moonlight" and that doesn't sit well with me.
Totally agree, I was going to post this.

I'm sure Stevie loves Christine but I don't think she was all that excited about her return; especially the timing right after they'd just done the 2013 tour.

Stevie is quite arrogant and prefers to associate with other famous people. She's happy to rub elbows with "fans" like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, but rarely does she give the average working-class Joe fan the time of day.

Stevie's life has slowed down a ton since her heyday and as a result, she has little to write about anymore. This is a huge factor in her decision to not release more new material.

I don't think Stevie particularly enjoys being part of Fleetwood Mac these days, but she probably figures she's too old to quit and doesn't want to look like the bad guy.

I love Stevie's cover of "Crash Into Me" and wouldn't mind if she brought it back into her set.

Six years later and I've never been able to really get into IYD.

I don't think Stevie should have included The Dealer on 24K unless she had taken the time to record a better vocal.

Mabel Normand, while I never cared much for the demo, has turned out to be one of my all time favorites.

Welcome to the Room Sara is worse than When I See You Again.

The RAL verion of Mirror, Mirror is great and should have been on an album.

I have very little interest in anything Stevie related from 1987 to 1994 (the Klonopin years?)

I have never much liked SDMHA and think I Will Run To You is a much superior song.

Buckingham Nicks shipping is very boring and irrelevant these days. I don't really think Stevie sits around pining for Lindsey, nor vice versa. I don't think they speak or see each other outside of FM related business, actually.

I think it's totally possible that Stevie and Karen are "together" and have been for a long time.

Last edited by Frankenstein; 02-18-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My unpopular opinion is that none of the opinions on here are actually unpopular.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Even though I like both versions of the wild heart, I prefer the album version over the make up session.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
I think it's totally possible that Stevie and Karen are "together" and have been for a long time.
you mean they are the Oprah and Gayle of rock n roll??

Nothing along those lines would surprise me. But if so I'm not sure they're still 'together' these days...Karen moved out of Stevie's house quite a few years ago now.... then again, maybe it's all an elaborate ruse....

agreed with most of the rest of your post as well
Old 02-26-2017, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I prefer skinny Stevie to fat Stevie

I prefer young Stevie to old Stevie

I prefer cokey Stevie to Klonopin Stevie

I prefer drunk Stevie to Klonopin Stevie

I prefer Stevie wear long dark shrouds to cover her pear-shape, yet strangely she wears her clothes even tighter and shorter than she did when she was skinny

I think that clicking sound in her nasal passages sounds gross and yet her sound engineers don't seem to want to clean it up in the studio

Don't wear sunglasses inside Stevie.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unreal the hatefulness on this thread and the things being said.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is a meaningful difference between hatefulness and honesty.

Granted being honest can be seen as rude, so if you were to say you thought some of the posts were rude (in the American sense of rude--i.e., impolite) I'd agree. Many of these thoughts are things you would keep to yourself to be polite. But then this particular thread is clearly titled as "unpopular opinions". Think of it as also covering indelicate opinions, impolite opinions and such.

Some opinions, to your point, are indeed unkind and perhaps are even meant to be hurtful or spiteful because people don't like Stevie. It is kind of weird that people who don't like her would hang out here, but there you go.

I guess the only solution is for those who find things like unpopular or impolite or indelicate opinions is to not read those sorts of threads.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-27-2017 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 02-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The thread was for "unpopular" opinions, and that's what I gave.
I do like Stevie Nicks. But I like what I like, and don't think there is any one right or wrong way to be a fan.

Want another unpopular opinion? The Other Side of The Mirror was terrible, as were Stevie's contributions to Behind The Mask.

On the other hand, I loved Street Angel- so what the heck do I know? (tee hee!)
Old 10-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This old thread needs updating - what else is on your mind?
Old 10-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

On those few occasions when she sings higher than F4, she makes an offputting braying noise. I can't take it. I actually want her to avoid a higher note. The exception is an acoustic song.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-14-2018, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie’s voice on the Mirage tour was often shot but those are some of my favorite performances because of how raw they are.

Annabel Lee is my favorite song on IYD.

I never got the hype about the Wild Heart dressing room version.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd like to see both Stevie and Lindsey get inducted into the Music Hall of Fame at the same time for their solo careers and work outside of Fleetwood Mac.

I'd like Lindsey to sing: "What Makes You Think You're The One" at induction with Stevie on the stage.
I'd like Stevie to sing: "Fall From Grace" at induction with Lindsey on the stage.

Last edited by Tango; 10-17-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Old 10-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think she's jealous of Lindsey because he has a family and she doesn't. There I said it.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
I think she's jealous of Lindsey because he has a family and she doesn't. There I said it.
Stevie has a family though. She may not have her own partner or children but she's very close with her niece and Lori and she surrounds herself with a lot of other very close friends and their families.