User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 1984 album - thoughts?

Hi guys,

I finally got a copy of Christine McVie on vinyl and am getting to know the album properly. I of course did before but at the moment I'm playing it non-stop. I just wondered what everyone's favourite songs were etc, least favourites too of course...
Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This album is amazing! The Challenge is my favourite by far - Clapton's solo, Lindsey's great really low singing, and that piano riff... mmm mmm mmm! Love love Who's Dreaming This Dream aswell. Most of the album is amazing, except for maybe Ask Anybody, I'm The One, One In A Million...
Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Have to say that so far the only song that seems like filler to me would be I'm The One, so I'd have to agree there. The rest veer between pretty great 80s pop (which is completely what the album is) and reasonable album tracks.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Now most people on here know I'm not the biggest CM fan, I really don't like her FM work that much, especially from rumours onwards.

However I do find the 1984 album quite enjoyable (certainly more than her other two solo efforts). It does have a good 80's pop feel as Dodfather said, but I think it also benefits from not being constrained by Fleetwood Mac.

While most of the songs could have been easily slotted into an FM album, they were significantly better IMHO than what she did actually produce within the confines of FM.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It sounds a bit dated but I still like it. The Smile I Live For is actaually my favorite solo Chris song ever. I also like The Challenge a lot. This album also has my least favorite Chris song of all time - So Excited. bleh.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Hi guys,

I finally got a copy of Christine McVie on vinyl and am getting to know the album properly. I of course did before but at the moment I'm playing it non-stop. I just wondered what everyone's favourite songs were etc, least favourites too of course...
It's always great hearing Chris McVie sing, so the album comes out ahead right there.

But the lack of pop shaping on these tracks is a bummer. These songs would sparkle & jump out of the speakers at you if they were edited by a great editor, a Caillat, for example. Take I'M SO EXCITED. Great little ditty, but the engineers don't ****ing know what to do with it. The bridge keeps repeating until you're sick of it, & the instrumental breaks--repeated too much, as well--lack dramatic or narrative meaning. You can almost hear the musicians telepathically communicating with one another, "How should we end this thing?"

The outro on GOT A HOLD ON ME lasts too long, with too many repetitions of the chorus hook. If you ram the hook down us 100 times, that's at least seventy-five times too many, even if it's a great hook--& this one isn't. By comparison, one of her greatest hooks, the chorus of YOU MAKE LOVING FUN, is only done TWICE on Rumours. You want to hear it again! When you're listening to the chorus over & over of GOT A HOLD ON ME, you sure as hell aren't saying to yourself, "I want to hear this again!"

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
This album also has my least favorite Chris song of all time - So Excited. bleh.
I like that one. Makes me want to bop along. It has a sense of silly fun that I think Sugar Daddy was trying for and never achieved.

Michele
Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually don't dislike a single track off this album. On Christine Perfect and In The Meantime, there are tracks I do skip (shocking, I know)

My favourite by far is Love Will Show Us How It's one of those songs that just makes me smile no matter what. Second is The Smile I Live For, for me it just oozes pure Christine goodness.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 07-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It sounds a bit dated but I still like it. The Smile I Live For is actaually my favorite solo Chris song ever. I also like The Challenge a lot. This album also has my least favorite Chris song of all time - So Excited. bleh.
I also don't care much for 'So Excited'. I have tried to re-listen to it many times and still haven't changed my mind. I listened my cassette copy the other day and thought about how beautiful 'The Smile I Live For' is. Overall, it's a great album. I've heard others say it's 'boring'. I don't think it's boring, but when I listen to it, something always seems to be missing from it, even though I can't figure out what it is. Anyone else have any ideas??
Old 07-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I actually don't dislike a single track off this album. On Christine Perfect and In The Meantime, there are tracks I do skip (shocking, I know)

My favourite by far is Love Will Show Us How It's one of those songs that just makes me smile no matter what. Second is The Smile I Live For, for me it just oozes pure Christine goodness.
I agree! The 84 album is my favorite of the three. And I love I'm The One and The Challenge
Old 07-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, we actually agree for once... and I agree with everything you said!

So Excited definitely has to be my least fav Chris song of all time too. I'm not a fan Billy Burnette especially, he just lends a cheesy air to anything he touches. And Christine should never, EVER do country. Barf. If there is one redeeming aspect of this one, you can tell Christine is genuinely having fun singing it. I've always heard you can hear a smile when someone sings... and that is definitely the case with this one. I still think the song is a turd, though.

I really like The Challenge, too. I think it's Lindsey's backing vocals towards the end of the song that make this one for me. Those two have always harmonized together so well, and Lindsey's smokey/sultry vocals take this song to the next level, IMO.

Interestingly enough, I really didn't like this album for years. I thought it was just '80s pop fluff garbage. The song that changed my mind was "I'm The One." I liked it's straightforward rock sound.

I also really, really like One In A Million. That Clapton guitar riff couldn't go any better with Christine if it tried! Christine just has the perfect cadence for bluesy songs, they fit her so well.

And for my guilty pleasure: Ask Anybody. It's like Christine's version of "Alice." Both are horrendously dated pieces of Adult Contemporary trash, but I wholeheartedly adore both, and listen to them in secret!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just got a copy of Christine's album today at the fleamarket.now I have to spin it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really enjoy Love Will Show Us How, The Challenge, One in a Million, Got a Hold on Me, Keeping Secrets, and I'm the One.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
So Excited definitely has to be my least fav Chris song of all time too. I'm not a fan Billy Burnette especially, he just lends a cheesy air to anything he touches. And Christine should never, EVER do country.

I also really, really like One In A Million. That Clapton guitar riff couldn't go any better with Christine if it tried! Christine just has the perfect cadence for bluesy songs, they fit her so well.

And for my guilty pleasure: Ask Anybody. It's like Christine's version of "Alice." Both are horrendously dated pieces of Adult Contemporary trash, but I wholeheartedly adore both, and listen to them in secret!
Louie - I completely agree with al of this! I'm a country fan but Billy Burnettte is just too cheesy for me whever I hear anything he's done (When The Sun Goes Down on BTM for example). Maybe he's just not a great fit with Mac mambers in general?!

Not surprising One In A Million is so good since Christine is after all a blues singer first and foremost. I think I remember reading an interview with her where she said that was one of her favourites to record because she brought her old mate Eric in on it!

I like Ask Anybody! Quite right to compare it to Alice in it's pure 80s cheesiness but hey, it's all good sometimes!

louie - when are we going toi have a night of cheesy music and alcohol?!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Louie - I completely agree with al of this! I'm a country fan but Billy Burnettte is just too cheesy for me whever I hear anything he's done (When The Sun Goes Down on BTM for example). Maybe he's just not a great fit with Mac mambers in general?!

Not surprising One In A Million is so good since Christine is after all a blues singer first and foremost. I think I remember reading an interview with her where she said that was one of her favourites to record because she brought her old mate Eric in on it!
I've only recently come to appreciate Billy's sweet voice(I totally mean this as a complete compliment....I think Christine has a sweet voice. Very SOOTHING), after finally getting hooked on Mick's I'm Not Me. Billy's voice is wonderful on INM.

Without digging it out, I think you're wrong. Wasn't Steve Winwood on One In A Million? Eric was on The Challenge. Am I wrong?

Okay, paranoia will make me go look, just because I hate to be wrong, since I never am!

Nope, I'm right. Steve Winwood. Thanks for playing. Now Johnny, what do we have, for a lovely parting gift?