The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Cranberries version of Go Your Own Way was actually was pretty good. I remember reading that LB said liked the way Dolores sang the song and said that he should have done it that way also.
The other songs you mentioned that you thought were good are pleasant and predictable, but lack any emotional depth or conviction-which is the essence of the songs.
Good artists like duncan sheik and shawn colvin contributed surprisingly weak covers.
The worst was the fact that mick fleetwood was the executive producer. The guy gives himself a tribute! Lame..
Old 08-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post Tusk

I don't really think that Tusk failed per say, it was just so different from what everyone was hearing from Fleetwood Mac at that time. I guess you could say it was a gutsy move on Lindsey's part
in trying to reinvent FM or keep things fresh by not making the same type of music.

When I first heard it I had the reaction that most people had....what the hell is this? I really don't think Stevie's songs took a left turn like Lindsey's did, and I think that Chris's songs( as she has said herself) sounded a bit "unfinished". I've always liked the "rock" from Lindsey Buckingham ala "I'm So Afraid" and "Go Your Own Way". But I do have to say that I understand Tusk now more than I did then. I still wouldn't rank it as my favorite album by FM.

When the lp was released I heard comments like:

Tusk single and b-side Never Make Me Cry( yeah they played them both as the anticipation was high) "From the ridiculous to the sublime" said a radio dj.

I asked a girl I was working with about "Tusk"......"Anybody that would release a single like that" That song did turn a lot of fans off.

I actually took the lp to a party once (LOL) being the big FM advocate that I am and snuck it on the turntable. The girl having the party came in and said "what is that crap"? and she took it off(the record that is).

Someone commented that the lp doesn't start until you hear "Sara".....(more of the common sound of FM).

The general public was critical of Tusk but it was critically acclaimed. What do we common folk know anyway?!

My appreciation for Tusk has grown over the years and I think it's a good album...just way before it's time.

I would compare Tusk to something the Beatles would come out with...it's innovative, fresh, and never has become dated.

You know that is Lindsey's gift. He is a very creative man who can take music and make it magic.

Joe
Old 08-23-2002, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have also come to appreciate it more, because I have a better understanding now of what he was trying to do, but at the time, I have to say I cringed right along with the rest of the crowd, but then again I have the excuse of growing up surrounded by rednecks and close-minded bigots, so what else what I gonna do? Thank goodness I broke away from that and am now much more accepting of everything, including LB's unique skew on a few things! LOL!!

I like Stevie's description best, still.....
"Here we are in the primitive tribal burial grounds....."
haha!!
Old 08-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I still think Eva Cassidy's version of "Songbird" outdoes Christine's own...and that really IS saying something...they should've put HER version on this album.
I agree with you - what a voice!
Barb
Old 08-23-2002, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Every song I've heard of hers is just magnificent. Besides "Songbird", she out-Stings Sting on "Fields Of Gold", too.

Such a sad loss. At least, her music will always be with us.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:29 PM
Ledgie

Wink Hey! I've got an idea!

How 'bout we lock The Lovely Yet Ponderous Ms. Nicks in a room with all of Eva's recordings...and snap a Polaroid of her just as she emerges?

Heh-heh.

Heh-heh.

Heh-heh.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Awesome Cover

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffles
The best song on the album was Matchbox Twenty's (a band that I am not particuraly fond of) version of Never Going Back Again.
That is an TERRIFIC cover of NGBA. It's the only one that really takes a chance with the sound ny taking it into a minor key. However, taking it into a minor key isnt' just change for change's sake, but instead totally changes the interpretive impications of the song. Despite the fact that Lindsey wrote it as a "positive" song, MB20's minor key stresses the underlying bitterness that drove such lyrics as "You don't know what it means to win."

Finally, the wonderfully ironic injection of "The Chain" at the end. Rob Thomas' voice sounds almost tortured at that part, like he's vowing to never go back to the past, and at the same time feeling bound to that past, and it's tearing him apart. The whole song takes on new meaning.

Love it.

Old 08-23-2002, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Gold Dust Woman

I really like Sister Hazel's treatment of Gold Dust Woman - it's got a whole different vibe when it's sung by guys . . .
Barbara
Old 08-23-2002, 10:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Without a doubt, my favorite track on the Legacy album. Sister Hazel did an EXCELLENT job with GDW.
-Brian
Old 08-28-2002, 09:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

Sister Hazel? Oy!
The band is competant, but that vocalist...
Old 08-28-2002, 03:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

That vocalist....what? Can't tell me he was off key. And even sounds like he did his homework and found how she sang it live and really worked it in. And you certainly can't tell me all the chorus harmonies aren't incredibly tight and right on. It's not Stevie's "tone", but then again, if you wanted Stevie, why in the heck would you buy this album? So what am I missing?
-Brian
Old 08-28-2002, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sister Hazel, at least on "GDW" since that's all I've ever heard them do, sounds like Aerosmith...(which is a GOOD thing...at least, to me)...the lead singer has a VERY "Steven Tyler-ish" voice, and the lead guitar has GOT to have had Joe Perry as an influence.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Rob Thomas !!!

I really love Rob Thomas and the way he spins a song!
He has good chops !!! WHY DID Mick do this anyway???
Anyone know??? Its rather Interesting! Bye, Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 08-28-2002, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Rob Thomas !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Skylark
I really love Rob Thomas and the way he spins a song!
He has good chops !!! WHY DID Mick do this anyway???
Anyone know??? Its rather Interesting! Bye, Sky
Money.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to admit that I get a good chuckle from the response of the other members of the band to Mick's "Legacy" project. Unfortunately I never heard John or Chris speak to it, but Stevie seemed almost offended by it and Lindsey had a giggling fit in an interview in 1997 when he talked about how halfway through the project Mick had been having a hard time getting people involved.