Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stars Are Crazy...

I had not seen this before, but seems Stars Are Crazy was written by a woman in San Jose and was called "With You on My Mind". Lindsey heard it, liked it, fiddled around with it, and contacted her to ask if he could use it. It would be interesting to hear the original and see what he added lyrically, if anything.... since there's so much speculation that he wrote it all about Stevie and he may have written very few of the lyrics at all.

Dewey's Decimals
San Jose songwriter Lisa Dewey could earn big bucks thanks to Lindsey Buckingham's version of her tune 'With You on My Mind'
July 7, 2011 - by Gary Singh

HART'S BEAT: Lisa Dewey's San Jose roots run deep. Photograpgh by Felipe Buitrago

I AM sitting in a coffee shop, and Lisa Dewey is showing me a private image on her phone. As I look closer, I see a scanned photo of a check from the Lindsey Buckingham Trust. I can't divulge the amount, but it's safe to say that if Buckingham's upcoming album, Seeds We Sow, takes off, Lisa will make a pile of dough. She'll either go insane, or it'll be a holiday road of some sort.

The story here is every San Jose songwriter's dream. I think. A longtime fixture in the San Jose alt-rock milieu, Lisa has written tons of songs, released quite a few albums on her own label, toured all over the United States more than once and hangs out with everyone from the Bangles to Concrete Blonde. She has put this city on the map, much more than any of the politicians. But since San Jose is an impossible no man's land of a place from which to base one's self, she has not always been able to make a fulltime living as a serious musician or songwriter.

Buckingham, of course, plays and sings for Fleetwood Mac and gets royalties every time one of its tunes plays on the canned stereo in supermarkets and dentists' offices worldwide. Income-wise, he can stop thinking about tomorrow whenever he wants.

A few years ago, Lisa appeared backstage at Buckingham's 2006 solo gig at the Palace of Fine Arts. She hung out for a few hours and unloaded one of her CDs on the guy. Just recently, she received a call from Buckingham's manager, informing her she now has a "co-write" on the upcoming Seeds We Sow album, available Sept. 6. Apparently, Buckingham enjoyed one of Lisa's songs so much he decided to rework it for himself.

That's right, a Lisa Dewey tune, "With You on My Mind," has now transmogrified into "Stars Are Crazy" on Buckingham's new album. She will get royalties whenever it plays live, on the radio, or even on the canned system at Whole Foods. If the album goes gold, she gets even more royalties.

Being a reputable dude, Buckingham didn't steal the track and call it his own. His manager phoned Lisa and offered her a contract to make sure she was taken care of. But she wasn't satisfied. Everyone has the right to negotiate such things, so she contacted old pal Michael Steele of the Bangles, who relayed her to attorney Michael O. Crain. Crain was the lawyer who represented the estates of Jerry Garcia, John Lennon and Bob Marley when Moe's burrito chain was sued for using those artists' names and images without licensing them.

"I'm getting credit on the album, the DVD and proceeds," says Lisa. "And royalties, mechanicals and what have you, forever more. I'm really excited that I'll be able to take whatever income comes from this, and as an artist, put it right back into my music. And be able to go back and do my music full time again, because I haven't been able to in a couple of years."

Luckily, the original Lisa Dewey song remains her property. The Buckingham tune is legally a co-write with a different title. That means when Lisa plays at the Blank Club this Saturday, she can say "With You on My Mind" is a tune transmogrified by Lindsey Buckingham. "We're going to play the Lisa Dewey version," she says. "In the deal, my song is still untouched."

Many musicians who've grown up in San Jose and haven't left yet will testify that part of the human condition here is dealing with the ridicule and disrespect hurled at San Jose from musicians in other, more happening cities. One often secretly longs to be that one musician who finally makes the big time without having to permanently leave San Jose and set up shop somewhere else.

"I could have gone to Los Angeles or San Francisco or New York, but I went and played all those places instead, a few times a year," Lisa said. "I decided to stay where I was because I like San Jose. And I really like the community here. I think we have a great artist community, and I think it's underrated. I have some amazing friends, and some amazing artists have come from San Jose. This city is not given its due at all. I'm sick of people saying San Jose sucks. I've stayed here because I want to prove that you can be here and make it."

Amen. Someday Lisa will be mayor, and I will write the State of the City Address.

Lisa Dewey, with Anya Marina and Ari Shine

July 9, 9pm, $10

The Blank Club, San Jose

http://www.metroactive.com/features/..._20110706.html
Old 01-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I had not seen this before, but seems Stars Are Crazy was written by a woman in San Jose and was called "With You on My Mind". Lindsey heard it, liked it, fiddled around with it, and contacted her to ask if he could use it. It would be interesting to hear the original and see what he added lyrically, if anything.... since there's so much speculation that he wrote it all about Stevie and he may have written very few of the lyrics at all.
nope, that's Stars Are Crazy.

EDIT: sorry i was looking at your thread title, not that you actually talked about SAC. and yeah, we knew that since about May of 2011, long before SWS album actually came out. Lisa Dewey's original is available on youtube. it's very different, arrangement-wise.

yeah shippers were very disappointed when they realized he didn't write those lyrics.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 01-03-2014 at 03:37 PM..
Old 01-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

crap, can one of the mods change the title of this thread? I started typing about something else and didn't realize it got in the title of this thread... not sure how to change it!!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks elle, I saw it after I posted it and can NOT figure out how to change it.... eeks.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
nope, that's Stars Are Crazy.

EDIT: sorry i was looking at your thread title, not that you actually talked about SAC. and yeah, we knew that since about May of 2011, long before SWS album actually came out. Lisa Dewey's original is available on youtube. it's very different, arrangement-wise.
I will have to check it out then. Clearly I'm behind on my LB news LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unfortunately I think you do need to wait for a grownup to change thread titles, bombaysaffires. Not a lot we can do now but sit here and be pretty for a while.

Interesting article, though!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I will have to check it out then. Clearly I'm behind on my LB news LOL
we love you anyway.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

so to just give you the quick scoop before you go looking through all 2011 threads: WelshwitchPMD recorded all 6 new songs at Saban and put them on youtube. that was in april. within few days someone commented on her SAC video, and said that's a great song that Lisa Dewey wrote. so we dug out her original (hope it's still on youtube). it was very different feel-wise, much darker, and without all the embellished LB guitar parts of course. within couple of months that article you quoted came out. when SWS came out in september, the song was listed as a Dewey/Buckingham co-write.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I seem to remember that back when SWS came out someone had found the original lyrics to Stars Are Crazy and it turned out he had changed quite a bit of them.

Or maybe I imagined that or am thinking of another song.

Edit:

I just found the original song http://www.lisadewey.com/Track8with%20you.mp3 and yeah, Lindsey did change and add most of the lyrics.

These are the lyrics for her version:

Quote:
Crying in the middle of the night
I woke up with you on my mind
With you on my mind

Sometimes we both collide
Wondering if we should have tried
Wondering if we died
Wondering if the stars are crazy
I'm not crazy

Wondering if we died
Wondering if the skies are crazy
I'm not crazy

I'm going to another place
And i'm finding my way through
Cause i don't believe you anymore
I don't trust you anymore

With you on my mind

Wondering if we died
Wondering if the stars are crazy
I'm not crazy

Wondering if we died
Wondering if the skies are crazy
I'm not crazy

Hold this moment here as I touch your face
Hold this moment here
Cause I put my faith in another lonely heart
And I swear this must not be the way

With you on my mind
With you on my mind....

Last edited by WildHearted; 01-03-2014 at 03:56 PM..
Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
we love you anyway.
awww, thanks elle!

I couldn't find her version on youtube, though there's a bunch of her other stuff (and I wasn't THAT motivated to keep digging). I did find it on iTunes and listened to the snipped they let you listen before buying. VERY different. Interesting.... but her singing doesn't really excite me; I like his version better.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

here's the old thread discussing this - http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=47808

Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
here's the old thread discussing this - http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=47808
Glad to see I'm not the only one really not knocked out by her singing....

But the music is cool.

Thanks for the link!!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Here's the full song on myspace for those who are averse to digging.

https://myspace.com/lisadeweyandthel...97677-85916551

I like it.

ETA: Oops! It's already in the first post of elle's linked topic. Jeesh. Ya'll move too fast up here! I'm going back to chitchat.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Glad to see I'm not the only one really not knocked out by her singing....

But the music is cool.

Thanks for the link!!
Yes. I was never big on SAC, and I think I much prefer her arrangement.

I wonder what him doing a straight-up cover would sound like.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

I by contrast am a huge fan of this song. Thought it was 2nd best on the album other than "Rock Away Blind". Happy this popped up and found it again. His version I think is a lot more polished and I enjoy it, this one's good too but it's a completely different feel. Cool article too.