User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post

I did laugh when the interviewer brought up "less is more" when talking about the album Go Insane. I think he was mainly referring to the lyrics, but I still had a "hokay then!" moment.
That's like complimenting him (or not) on the production of Hold Me by saying, "less is more."

Michele
Old 11-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I've got to give my man (if CAH will let me borrow him) credit. With very little prompting, he can work all of his speeches into a single interview, with rapid fire speed. All the host was saying was things like, "you're great, talk to me about that" and Lindsey would start rattling off compartmental-survival mode-Warner Bros. execs listening to Tusk for the first time phrases out of nowhere, making sure not to leave any out.

The things that stood out for me were:

1. When asked to talk about Fritz, he said that he played bass. Stevie wasn't really a lead singer so much in the band, just a vocalist. The keyboardist wrote all of the songs. Then he said that he and Stevie were not romantically involved at the time. They were just friends. Well . . . that's nice, but no one had even asked him!

2. When he inherited the money and bought music equipment with it, he said although it wasn't a large amount it also put him and Stevie in a position to not have to work, "for awhile." So, the way he said "for a while" with emphasis made it clear that the money didn't last them forever, but if you listen to Stevie, you'd think they never had any income at all except what she earned with her little hands. He brought money to the table when they started and at the end when he went on tour.

3. Instead of saying the "package deal" thing, he says that he told the band that they would have to take "my girlfriend" then he sort of cocked his head to the camera and smiled. The interviewer said that turned out to be a good idea and he agreed.

4. The interviewer said that Rhiannon was the first big hit off of the White album. I wouldn't necessarily agree. Lindsey didn't deny it. Hey, that stuff can be like a circus wheel. It changes all of the time. Sometimes, I can't help but feel that I'm wasting all of my time.

5. The interviewer said he loved Go Insane. Lindsey replied, "I do too." The interviewer indicated that GI was about his seven year relationship with CAH. Lindsey actually turned it around and made it sound like GI was about Stevie. Said breaking up with her, not getting away from her, compartmentalizing, walling up, having to produce her music which only helped her get farther away . . . He said GI was about all of that. I don't necessarily buy that. Like CAH, I do think most of it is about her, but I think it's interesting that Lindsey would spin it now.

6. Says he doesn't know if Gift of Screws was going to be the name of his solo album. He said that was a title, but some people didn't like it.

7. Interviewer asked if he started playing on a toy guitar and he said that he did, but after a year his parents bought him a three chord guitar. He listened to his parents music, because that was all they had in the house: adult music. But when his brother brought home Elvis, Patty Page went out the window. Said that they had a normal, Donna Reed household on the outside, then he'd go into his brother's room, play rock and that was what was going on behind closed doors, "under the skin."

The interviewer asked a lot of questions based on things he'd already read about Lindsey and just asked Lindsey to talk about that, rather than asking anything new. He'd tell Lindsey things about himself like, "You're a big fan of Laurie Anderson." And Lindsey would just nod sagely. If the guy had said, "You're a God!" Lindsey would have nodded and said, "hmm hmmm."

Michele
Hi, just looking through these old threads- interesting. I didn't see/hear this particular interview, but I know he's referenced GI in regards to Nicks long before CAH's book came out in 07- i.e. the poem he used to recite to introduce the title track (1997ish), is definitely about Nicks. There's also an interview from 1987 that kind of indicates the going insane thing came about as a result of the two couples breaking up, etc. Also, looking at other interviews over the years combined with the lyrics in many of these songs says the same thing to me. I know there were interviews in 1984 which were meant to lead people to believe he was referencing his CURRENT break-up, but I think at the time, maybe he didn't want to admit that he was writing about his ex from 7 years prior- makes sense to me. I think there is one song about CAH on there, maybe two.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

had fun reading through this old thread and all the back and forth... never seen that interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
freakin' stevie nicks.

i long for a day when her name doesn't appear on the lindsey board.
some things never change

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
Hi, just looking through these old threads- interesting. I didn't see/hear this particular interview, but I know he's referenced GI in regards to Nicks long before CAH's book came out in 07- i.e. the poem he used to recite to introduce the title track (1997ish), is definitely about Nicks.
Sardonic World aside, Lindsey has referenced CAH with regard to Go Insane long before her book came out. He never shied away from talking about Stevie either, but I think most of the album is about CAH and there is necessarily overlap between his relationship with Carol and the one with Stevie that I think also shows up. Certainly, one influenced the other and the person he was in that subsequent relationship and it also influenced the person that CAROL was.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 11-12-2013 at 09:49 PM..
Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Sardonic World aside, Lindsey has referenced CAH with regard to Go Insane long before her book came out. He never shied away from talking about Stevie either, but I think most of the album is about CAH and there is necessarily overlap between his relationship with Carol and the one with Stevie that I think also shows up. Certainly, one influenced the other and the person he was in that subsequent relationship and it also influenced the person that CAROL was.

I just always thought the line "she's a lot like you" was about Stevie. Carol had a more than passing resemblance to Stevie, IMHO... same size, long blond hair, sometimes in photos if you don't get a real CLOSE look you can't always tell which one it is.... now, personality-wise, I never thought they were anything alike (not really knowing either one of them personally of course)... but what do I know
Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
There's always the possibility we have different versions. I bought mine over 20 years ago when it was brand new and on my copy which I haven't listened to in more than a decade I might add, he sings, "she's a lot like you, phony musician" several times at the end of the song. Maybe it was remixed and released later with a different version? I'll give another example. In 1982 I bought Mirage on the day of its release and of course I loved and played Straight Back a million times. A few months later I made a new Stevie friend and she had purchased only the cassette version of Mirage and one day when we were listening to her tape in the car I was like,"WTF!" Her version of Straight Back was diff. than the album version!!! Are you guys aware of this fact? Soooooooooooo maybe it might be the same w/Lindsey's song, who knows? I don't even know if I have it on cassette or album, I'll have to go look and listen and then get back to ya'll.
I actually have my original vinyl version of Mirage and the Straight Back version on there does NOT have all the layered vocals in the last third or so of the song. When I heard my friend's cassette version with all htose extra backing vocals and layer I was like wtf is this?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgikallaroundme View Post
Matter of opinion.

Exactly which lyrics do you feel are hopeful or make it a love song?

Why did Stevie call it one?
Because she's full of it.

She recently said that Dreams was her GYOW and Mick in another interview referred to that and how it was big of her to finally admit that. (i.e., it was her eff off song to Linds)
Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I actually have my original vinyl version of Mirage and the Straight Back version on there does NOT have all the layered vocals in the last third or so of the song. When I heard my friend's cassette version with all htose extra backing vocals and layer I was like wtf is this?
That's exactly what I had said, which is why you quoted me, right?
Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the record, I was just playing around 6 years ago and making up phrases (like "foamy electrician") regarding the lyrics. I never really thought he said "phony musician" or anything similar.

Michele