Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default '24 Karat Gold' chart and sales predictions

Just slightly over 3 years ago, 'In Your Dreams' debuted on the Billbaord 200 at #6 with sales of slightly over 52,000 copies.

The music business and album sales has changed slightly since then and is evident in that last week, the #1 album on the Billboard 200 sold exactly the same amount that scored Stevie a #6 placing 3 years ago.

This is the point I'm trying to make:

1/ Will Stevie's new album sell more than 52,000 in the US in its first week?

2/ Will it debut higher than #6?

3/ Having just finished an extremely successful tour with Fleetwood Mac in Europe, will the
album debut higher than 'In Your Dreams' in countries such as the UK where that album
did quite well and reached #14?

4/ Will the album have as much longevity as 'In Your Dreams' which spent 16 weeks on the
Billboard 200?

5/ Will the album help the sales of FM's new album or will it make people not so eager to buy it?

6/ Will Stevie's appearance on 'The Voice' make a massive difference to the success of the
album?

7/ Will there be a hit single, and if so, will it make the album have more longevity on the
charts?

These are the questions that I often think about and please answer the numbered questions or post any views you have on this topic. Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by James89; 07-21-2014 at 10:02 AM..
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post

YES

YES

3/ Having just finished an extremely successful tour with Fleetwood Mac in Europe, will the
album debut higher than 'In Your Dreams' in countries such as the UK where that album

NO

4/ Will the album have as much longevity as 'In Your Dreams' which spent 16 weeks on the Billboard 200?
YES

5/ Will the album help the sales of FM's new album or will it make people not so eager to buy it?
Won't make any difference at all

6/ Will Stevie's appearance on 'The Voice' make a massive difference to the success of the album?
YES

7/ Will there be a hit single, and if so, will it make the album have more longevity on the charts?
Hit singles usually help album sales
Unwind, Love is hard to find. I hope Stevie releases a rock and roll song as a single and leave the ballads for the live performances.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Registered

In Your Dreams was mostly new material. This is outtakes from other albums.

Um no I don't think this will be as successful they didn't make it onto other albums because well we don't know but

No i don't think it will be as sucussful. The voice will help somewhat and I think thats whats their waiting for right now - they can release the album today but they wont they are waiting for the voice
Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly, Stevie promoted the crap out of IYD. We had videos prior to album release, a single, she was on ever music reality show and talk show.She'd have to do a publicity tour to an extreme for it to top IYD. She visited some shows twice during her rounds for IYD. I think 24 Carat will definately debut within the top 20 if not top 10 when it is released.

If she plays the nastologia of the demos and outtakes, it might work to drag in some older music buyers who might not have bought a record since Belladonna.

Personally, I'd like to see her albums re-released along with 24 Carat and give us the outtakes and demos.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think if the album has special moments and is not too commonplace then it will do at least as well as IYD.

As for the originals of the vaults songs, I think a new Greatest Hits type thing like Enchanted back in 1998 will include some of those. I bet she will do that sometime after the FM tour and album dies off in a year or two. Since Enchanted she will have had three original studio albums, two soundtrack contributions (Sweet November and Practical Magic), two contributions to other collections (Dave Grohl and Buddy Holly), some live stuff, and some other covers like R & R and Crash and Circle Dance etc. A blend of those and some old outtakes/demos and BANG! there is another 2 - 3 disc retrospective!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Probably Not.

Probably Not. My guess is Top 20, but not top 10. All of this is dependent on publicity, though. So far there has been none, and the album is supposed to be out in 2-3 months. We don't even have an official title, track listing, single, video, press photos, etc. Doesn't bode well for a successful album launch.

3/ Having just finished an extremely successful tour with Fleetwood Mac in Europe, will the album debut higher than 'In Your Dreams' in countries such as the UK where that album did quite well and reached #14?

Probably Not. It's been nearly a year since FM was in Europe. The public moves on & forgets very quickly. Plus, it was a FM tour, not a Stevie one...

4/ Will the album have as much longevity as 'In Your Dreams' which spent 16 weeks on the Billboard 200?

Probably Not.

Stevie's album will get the FM brand in the public's conscious again, as will the upcoming FM tour. So yes, her album will probably help the FM album to some degree, especially if it receives critical acclaim. Any boost in sales would be minor, though.

6/ Will Stevie's appearance on 'The Voice' make a massive difference to the success of the album?

It depends on when Stevie's segments air. If her segments air around the time the album is released, AND her album is mentioned on the show, then yes.

7/ Will there be a hit single, and if so, will it make the album have more longevity on the charts?

No. Stevie's & Fleetwood Mac's hit singles days are over. Cher was the oldest woman to have a #1 song- she was 52 at the time. Louis Armstrong is the oldest man, he was 62- but that was in 1964. The odds of a woman having a hit single in her later 60s in this day & age are pretty much non-existent.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have faith the album will do reasonably well. Stevie is doing the right thing by staying in the public eye with her appearances on The Voice, which has the highest ratings of all other shows in that genre.

The notion that these songs are substandard because they never made it on an album is misguided. Artists often have a backlog of unreleased songs. They remain unreleased for various reasons unrelated to their quality.

It seems a lot of her backlog of unreleased songs are only rough demos, or works in progress, but were abandoned at some point. From what I hear, only a small amount were finished works slated for release, but then cut.

We already have access to all of her demos. It appears that a lot of them are not worthy of official release. It's quality control issue; you can't expect Stevie would want to release them in their inferior condition. Even with the demos and outakes she might consider officially releasing , I'm sure she would take them into a studio and tweak them.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-21-2014 at 11:31 AM..
Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Long time no chat guys .Sorry.been busy and being outside away from the computer.

This is a fan album .I will be shocked if it does anything on the charts,sales or even get radio airplay.

I agree with louielouie2000 on what he posted.

We seen the results from IYD.

If Stevie wants chart recognition.She's got to team up with some young artists and record a teeny popper,rap- hip hop and country-rock tunes .

I will think positive .I hope something will come out from it for Stevie.

Yes Cher and Tina Turner had great comebacks.Stevie can do it with the the right people and tunes.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 07-21-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1) More and more people are discovering Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac on an on-going basis. In Your Dreams was very good so I could see the same people buying 24KG plus newer fans. So I'd guess it could sell slightly higher initially.
2) If she retains the IYD buyers as well as new fans then I could see it getting enough sales to push it top 5.
3) It will barely dent the chart in Europe. It'll be lucky to get top 20.
4) No, I don't see that she'll have the time/opportunity to market it. Couple of decent weeks on the chart and then, bye-bye.
5) It can only help FM. Cant see how or why it would make people less likely to buy FM.
6) American Idol should give it some boost but I doubt it would be a major one.
7) Can't see a Stevie or FM song ever hitting the top 40 ever again let alone top 10.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post

If Stevie wants chart recognition.She's got to team up with some young artists and record a teeny popper,rap- hip hop,country-rock tunes .
I think her best chance of a hit single is to get a cool, contemporary urban DJ to remix an old song and somehow get it featured on a TV advert.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Um no I don't think this will be as successful they didn't make it onto other albums because well we don't know but
Um...really? Because these songs didn't make it on to other albums, THAT will make this project less successful than her other efforts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The notion that these songs are substandard because they never made it on an album is misguided. Artists often have a backlog of unreleased songs. They remain unreleased for various reasons unrelated to their quality.
^^^THANK YOU!!! Don't get me wrong, Stevie has her share of stinkers where you know EXACTLY why they didn't make it on an album, but other "classic Stevie" songs that never made it on records ("If You Were My Love", "Julia", "Blue Water", etc.) were due to many factors, as PenguinHead said, unrelated to quality of the work. The length of time per side of vinyl back in the day being the MAIN reason, most likely. The length of her songs in general, being another. "Julia" is basically almost 6 minutes. I would have loved it if it were on "Bella Donna" instead of "Think About It" and "After The Glitter Fades". But I think either she or Jimmy (or both) wanted to fit as many songs as they could on the record, so maybe their thought process was to put two short songs on and save the very long "Julia" for something else.

Let's also not forget that two of the three singles chosen for TISL were "vault songs", as well as the lead single for IYD. I think that, in and of itself, kind of shoots down your theory that this album will be unsuccessful simply because they're all older songs that haven't made it onto a previous release.

If this album is unsuccessful, it will be due to lack of public interest, lack of promotion, lack of radio singles, lack of videos, or poor production quality in the songs, but I can't believe it will be unsuccessful due to the songs themselves. You've heard these wonderful demos, right?

-Dave (he gots feelin's)
Old 07-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't really care about the chart status of the album, and I hope Stevie doesn't either. Lots of bands and solo artists don't chart and still have huge followings and sold out or near sold out shows. What I do care about is that Stevie record more music without regard for charts and hits.

I hope that someone has already told Stevie that seeing chart status as a measure of success or worth is setting herself up for a feeling of failure.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She got new fans from American Horror Story.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Just slightly over 3 years ago, 'In Your Dreams' debuted on the Billbaord 200 at #6 with sales of slightly over 52,000 copies.

The music business and album sales has changed slightly since then and is evident in that last week, the #1 album on the Billboard 200 sold exactly the same amount that scored Stevie a #6 placing 3 years ago.

This is the point I'm trying to make:

4/ Will the album have as much longevity as 'In Your Dreams' which spent 16 weeks on the
Billboard 200?

6/ Will Stevie's appearance on 'The Voice' make a massive difference to the success of the
album?

7/ Will there be a hit single, and if so, will it make the album have more longevity on the
charts?

These are the questions that I often think about and please answer the numbered questions or post any views you have on this topic. Thanks guys!!!
Chart position will depend largely on promotion, and if the intent is still to release the album in October, that needs to begin NOW. And it really hasn't. A single needs to be released next month. We need a confirmed title, album cover, track list, and some "official" social media activity needs to begin quickly…..Stevie's appearance on The Voice will help a little, and she's going to have to do some solo publicity while she's on the road with the Mac. If she doesn't, the album doesn't have much of a chance. I doubt there will be an official video (when will they film it with Stevie heading into Mac rehearsals?).

The good news is that Stevie has a strong built-in fan base who will buy anything she puts out. If her people use social media smartly and effectively, and she does some advance publicity, she could have a strong debut. But I don't think it will sell as much as IYD did. As someone else mentioned, this seems to be an album for the fans (and perhaps one to fulfill her contractual obligations before rejoining the Mac).

One thing is for sure, I'll be getting it the minute it comes out. So that's at least one copy there….:-)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Refering to the album as the "vault songs" aims towards her fan base. If it has a chance of a wider audience, I think she may want to minimize the demo, vault talk and the cheesy K-Tel Records 24 Karates: Song from the Vaults title. Old songs + old lady ain't gonna sell bigtime.