Default You Like Me

The williams brothers re-recorded it anyone have the audio? Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is a link to a YouTube fan video of The Williams Bros version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3UHxyf4oD8
Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This the only official version of the song that exists; not re-recorded, but developed from Stevie's half-baked demo. I wonder about the circumstances of how Stevie crossed paths with the Williams Brothers (twins!).

It's unfortunate they didn't have a more prominent/successful career; they are very talented singers/musicians/song writers. I have only their CD that features You Like Me.

When they were early teenagers, I remember they made a TV appearance on an episode of The Partridge Family. They were cringe-worthy then; creepy, cheesy and wimpy. But they grew out of that awkward phase.

Listening to the song now, I realize how this could have been a killer, hard rock Fleetwood Mac song, with all three vocalists singing /harmonizing on it. Aside from The Chain, there are only a few instances where they all sing together as a lead vocal in both verse and chorus.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-18-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Old 07-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
This the only official version of the song that exists; not re-recorded, but developed from Stevie's half-baked demo. I wonder about the circumstances of how Stevie crossed paths with the Williams Brothers (twins!).

It's unfortunate they didn't have a more prominent/successful career; they are very talented singers/musicians/song writers. I have only their CD that features You Like Me.

When they were early teenagers, I remember they made a TV appearance on an episode of The Partridge Family. They were cringe-worthy then; creepy, cheesy and wimpy. But they grew out of that awkward phase.

Listening to the song now, I realize how this could have been a killer, hard rock Fleetwood Mac song, with all three vocalists singing /harmonizing on it. Aside from The Chain, there are only a few instances where they all sing together as a lead vocal in both verse and chorus.
The Williams Bros. co-wrote "Some Become Strangers" with Amy Latelevision, etc. I have their debut cd which includes their version of SBS - in the notes they gave special thanks to Stevie. They were a up & coming songwriting duo behind the scenes in the music industry, but success eluded them. Partrick Leonard - who was becoming famous with his work co-producing both "True Blue" & "Like A Prayer" records for Madonna - produced a few tracks on The Williams Bros debut, as did Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers. Between SBS & the Mike Campbell connection, one could imagine that Stevie gave them "You Like Me" to record. I'd highly bet a fully finished version of this song by Stevie is in the vaults of Altantic, or Warners, not just the rough demo versions that surfaced to fans from the RAL work tapes in 2011.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I'd highly bet a fully finished version of this song by Stevie is in the vaults of Altantic, or Warners, not just the rough demo versions that surfaced to fans from the RAL work tapes in 2011.
Thanks for reminding me about Some Become Strangers; I forget about that one!
I hope you are right about a fully finished You Like Me sung by Stevie.

Yet, she has many straggler songs that never got beyond the demo stage, or were abandoned in mid-production.