The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always liked this album. It's so interesting and cool how all of us like different tracks. My stand out tracks are;

Blue Denim, Greta, Rose Garden, Destiny, kick It and Jane.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To the person who said that they would like 'Street Angel' put on vinyl, I would like to see ALL of Stevie's albums put on vinyl even including 'Bella Donna' because it would be nice to see shiny new vinyls of hers in stores. If not ALL of her albums, 'Street Angel', 'Trouble in Shangri-La', 'Crystal Visions' and 'In Your Dreams' would be amazing to see on vinyl and I know thanks to Dave's confirmation that '24 Karat Gold' will be on vinyl anyway.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

With regard to the discussion pertaining to "I Call You Missing", I actually don’t believe a finished version exists, let alone a Street Angel era recording. All I’ve ever heard is what I consider to be a Rock A Little era demo and nothing more. Like others have already suggested, some of the demo lyrics went to “Whole Lotta Trouble” and basically what remained migrated to “Love Is Like A River”, which of course, had also been demoed during the Rock A Little sessions.

I have seen and heard a 1993 promo cassette featuring the same track-listing/sequencing referred to in the previously mentioned 1992 Street Angel press release and it definitely does not feature “I Call You Missing” as we know it. The first track on Side B of the cassette is "Love Is Like A River", but it is actually titled as "I Call You Missing" on the cassette slick. This may have been an alternate title for "Love Is Like A River" or it simply could have just been a mistake. Given the time period involved, it would seem that oversights were allowed to occur, hence the 1984 recording of "Mirror Mirror" being included on the b-side of the "Blue Denim" cassingle when the 1992 version had been intended for inclusion.

I also understand that this cassette promo version of Street Angel, as produced by Glyn Johns, had been mastered by late February 1993 and that “I Call You Missing” – as we know it - was not one of the master mixes, but that "Love Is Like A River" was one of these tracks.

I realise there has been speculation that "I Call You Missing" was indeed recorded during the Street Angel sessions, but there is no evidence that it was or ever actually considered for inclusion at any of the projected 1992/1993/1994 release stages. Therefore, it is my opinion that any reference to “I Call You Missing” between 1992 and 1993 is in regard to what eventually became the released version of “Love Is Like A River” was done so in error. Either the final title had not been decided upon until it's release in 1994 or someone had made a mistake with the title circa 1992/1993.

Last edited by Phil; 06-30-2014 at 01:52 AM..
Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
With regard to the discussion pertaining to "I Call You Missing", I actually don’t believe a finished version exists, let alone a Street Angel era recording. All I’ve ever heard is what I consider to be a Rock A Little era demo and nothing more. Like others have already suggested, some of the demo lyrics went to “Whole Lotta Trouble” and basically what remained migrated to “Love Is Like A River”, which of course, had also been demoed during the Rock A Little sessions.

I have seen and heard a 1993 promo cassette featuring the same track-listing/sequencing referred to in the previously mentioned 1992 Street Angel press release and it definitely does not feature “I Call You Missing” as we know it. The first track on Side B of the cassette is "Love Is Like A River", but it is actually titled as "I Call You Missing" on the cassette slick. This may have been an alternate title for "Love Is Like A River" or it simply could have just been a mistake. Given the time period involved, it would seem that oversights were allowed to occur, hence the 1984 recording of "Mirror Mirror" being included on the b-side of the "Blue Denim" cassingle when the 1992 version had been intended for inclusion.

I also understand that this cassette promo version of Street Angel, as produced by Glyn Johns, had been mastered by late February 1993 and that “I Call You Missing” – as we know it - was not one of the master mixes, but that "Love Is Like A River" was one of these tracks.

I realise there has been speculation that "I Call You Missing" was indeed recorded during the Street Angel sessions, but there is no evidence that it was or ever actually considered for inclusion at any of the projected 1992/1993/1994 release stages. Therefore, it is my opinion that any reference to “I Call You Missing” between 1992 and 1993 is in regard to what eventually became the released version of “Love Is Like A River” was done so in error. Either the final title had not been decided upon until it's release in 1994 or someone had made a mistake with the title circa 1992/1993.
I think you're right. There are some who 'swear' they've heard it, though.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah I know Karma, but I wonder what people have actually heard in regard to "I Call You Missing"? Someone has asserted that a fan in Germany has a master of a Street Angel era recording and is unwilling to share it - perhaps that's because it doesn't actually exist? Who knows? Some people love to keep a myth alive...

I should say that I really dig the "I Call You Missing" demo and I even put it in my wish-list for the upcoming Stevie solo album, but I've since concluded that it most probably never progressed beyond a riff and some vampy ramblings. I'm now quite convinced that it just evolved into "Love Is Like A River", possibly as early as 1984. I would imagine that Stevie and her team could have referred to the track by either title up until the ultimate release of it in 1994, hence the confusion over the years.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Someone has asserted that a fan in Germany has a master of a Street Angel era recording and is unwilling to share it - perhaps that's because it doesn't actually exist? Who knows? Some people love to keep a myth alive...
An eBay auction was won by a lady in Germany which included a cassette of the original album, as per the press release. "I Call You Missing" was on the tracklist. It's mentioned in a few Street Angel threads, and infact I remember it originally coming up. She's a known hoarder from what I remember.

There's more info about it in other threads, including this one:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=47820
Old 07-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

With due respect TheWILDHeart, that is the promo cassette I have been referring to in my earlier posts, or at least one that is from a similar time period. "I Call You Missing" was seemingly the earlier or incorrect title for "Love Is Like A River". There is no evidence that "I Call You Missing" as we know it was recorded during the Street Angel era, only versions of "Love Is Like A River". Therefore, "I Call You Missing" was either a working; alternate or incorrect title for "Love Is Like A River".
Old 07-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

please....This thread calls for a FLOW CHART!

I call you missing was a demo in RAL era

became ....

Love is like a river AND Whole lotta trouble?

Whole lotta trouble was recorded as a demo first using some of I call you missing during RAL

Whole lotta trouble was "finished" for OSOTM

Meanwhile Love is like a River continued using some of the other lyrics form I call you missing, and new lyrics here and there, plus some repeated ones form Whole Lotta Trouble.

Finally, Love is like a river was demoed for Street Angel, but since it originated as the previously copywritten I call you missing, she updated that copywriter as the original song title, but eventually changed the title to Love is like a River anyhow since that was more or less what it had morphed into and I call you missing had DIVERGENT SPECIES into two separate though genetically similar species.

Last edited by AnthonyMI; 07-01-2014 at 12:14 PM..
Old 07-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
please....This thread calls for a FLOW CHART!

I call you missing was a demo in RAL era

became ....

Love is like a river AND Whole lotta trouble?

Whole lotta trouble was recorded as a demo first using some of I call you missing during RAL

Whole lotta trouble was "finished" for OSOTM

Meanwhile Love is like a River continued using some of the other lyrics form I call you missing, and new lyrics here and there, plus some repeated ones form Whole Lotta Trouble.

Finally, Love is like a river was demoed for Street Angel, but since it originated as the previously copywritten I call you missing, she updated that copywriter as the original song title, but eventually changed the title to Love is like a River anyhow since that was more or less what it had morphed into and I call you missing had DIVERGENT SPECIES into two separate though genetically similar species.
Yes, but you missed one little part - Love Is Like A River was also a demo during the RAL era, separate and distinct from I Call You Missing.

And, actually, I don't subscribe to the idea that Love Is Like A River or Whole Lotta Trouble evolved from I Call You Missing. I tend toward the belief that all three were conceived as separate songs, possibly meant to be companion pieces, and just happened to share lyrics - much like Enchanted and Destiny, both written and recorded for The Wild Heart album.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 07-01-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Old 07-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
One adjustment -- "Whole Lotta Trouble" was written in Australia early in 1986, after 'Rock A Little' was released.

Karma has an excellent point that it (along with the original "Love Is Like A River") still could have been meant as a companion piece to "I Call You Missing," however -- rather than having evolved from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
And, actually, I don't subscribe to the idea that Love Is Like A River or Whole Lotta Trouble evolved from I Call You Missing. I tend toward the belief that all three were conceived as separate songs, possibly meant to be companion pieces, and just happened to share lyrics - much like Enchanted and Destiny, both written and recorded for The Wild Heart album.
The final, 'Street Angel' version of "Love Is Like A River" is an interesting beast. Perhaps, as you said, it's not a true evolution, but it's certainly an amalgamation of the original "LILAR" and "ICYM." I would love to know when Stevie decided to combine them, and how that came about. Had they already been joined together in the years before 'Street Angel,' or was that done specifically for the album?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only song I liked from Street Angel was Inspiration and she kicked it off the album because she didn't write it. It was the only song a lot of people liked off that album when they heard it, but she didn't put it on the album.

Inspiration is a great song to chill and get drunk to.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Inspiration is a great song to chill and get drunk to.
Ugh, how depressing. I'd much rather get drunk to Greta.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For what it's worth, The Atlantic Group (Modern records distributer in the U.S.) issued quarterly upcoming new release catalogs to retailers, radio promoters, etc. (as was standard for major labels back then) and "Street Angel" was featured in the 4th quarter 1993 issue. The 1993 SA tracklist included "I Call You Missing." These scans are from my personal copy of The Alantic Group" 1993 new release catalog.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Was there a original vinyl version of the album in 1994? By then, vinyl had fallen out of favor for compact discs. If it ever got re-released on vinyl, I hope they would clean up the train wreck that is the booklet with the lyrics. It's really a hack job.

Having been a type-setter, then a graphic designer, and then a copywriter/creative director, I'm a stickler for how lyrics should be properly presented. Sometimes the designers get it right, but mostly the standard is so sub-par, it kills me to see.

Often the lyrics are presented as dictations of the vocals, with "oohs and ahhs" representing the vocal inflections. But those aren't lyrics, and completely unnecessary; they just muddle the visual integrity of the lyric. And ellipses are useless. Take a look at the lyrics in Street Angel; there are ellipses in the oddest places, as if to refer to pauses her delivery! That is not needed at all. A lyric sheet doesn't have to infer pauses! And commas are very essential to clear communication, so why aren't they being used properly? If you cut out all the superfluous crap, you get the core essence of the song. Here are some examples, which reveal the actual poetry in the lyrics. They aren't perfect, but presented in a more improved form.

STREET ANGEL
I've been walking under rainbows too long to tell
You keep walking down means streets, my street angel
I tried to bring you in, out of the cold
But street angels live on the street, and they always will

Street angels aren't like anyone you know
They do what they want, and they go where they go
They may tell you that you hold the world in your hands
But they always give it back, they always give it back

No amount of crying changes your mind
No amount of praying brings you inside
I know that you love me, and that you always will
You just stand outside and call to me, my sweet street angel

A Charles Dickens character, with your top hat and your scarf
When you pulled me through the rainbow, I thought you’d stop
But you didn't, you turned around, you went back
To the children, and your music, and the people that you love

I can’t help but wonder, if every once in a while
You remember the girl, when you were a homeless angel
That drove you wild, strange and elusive

So I ended it all, for the both of us,
I fell down the stairs, a broken rag doll
But you never knew, you just thought I went away
With nothing more to hope for
But you don’t hear voices anymore, my sweet street angel

GRETA
Rhinestone collections all the time
I wonder what Greta would say
Another lady, another time
Another heart- broken state of mind
Alone in her chambers, she dreams of her home

Outside, she’s got a movie star view
Outcries, well where will the kings go
Where will the kings go now?

She’s got her eyes wide open
And she’s ready to stare you down
She says, in words unspoken
She’s from out of town

Well some cry, “Well I really don’t
dance down stormy weather”
It cuts like a knife

She’s got her bags packed
And she’s off to the valley
Where the sun meets the sea
You understand that,
She wants to live by the ocean
And no one is pleased
She gets a house by the mountains
The next day, the next day
She leaves the station

Do you really want to change her?
Do you really want to change her?
Or is it your right?

Alone in her chambers, she dreams of her home
In a very real way, she’s the purest art form
I bet she said “just how many art lovers
can one get to know?”

She doesn't have an hour
She doesn't have five minutes
She’s got to go

Oh, where will the kings go?
Where will the kings go now?
Say Greta, say Greta
Thank you for your effort and for pointing this out. I agree whole-heartedly. Stevie IS
smart, but so much around her makes her seem stupid, including how her lyrics are printed and the over-use of ellipses. Ricoh
Old 07-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Ugh, how depressing. I'd much rather get drunk to Greta.
I liked Greta to a point, but I always felt like it was a ripoff of Betty Davis Eyes. I would of liked it much better if it had been recorded first.