The Highwayman
The Nightmare
I Still Miss Someone
Love Is Like A River
Too Far From Texas
For What It's Worth
I love all those.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Highway Man......?

aww...nooo.... there's so much worse! I actually like this one, but think the vocal could be toned down just a bit.

Two Kinds of Love....has promise, gets a little lost "two kinds of love-- one for the way you walk, one for the way you love me...." never made much sense to me.

I love me some hot mess Stevie, (I like most songs on RAL) but some songs are just a little too much
Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Only Stevie songs I really, really dislike: Desert Angel, Street Angel, When I See You Again, Destiny, and Cheaper Than Free.

There's plenty that I skip, but don't hate. Like That Made Me Stronger, Welcome To The Room Sara, Love's a Hard Game To Play, approx half of OSOTM, and the majority of BTM.

Surprisingly, I'm kind of into Street Angel. Never hated that album.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow It looks like all of her mellow tunes are on the hate list here.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Wow It looks like all of her mellow tunes are on the hate list here.
Yeah, I notice a lot of people hate "sappy", which to me is what Stevie does best. Give me "When I See You Again" or "Love Is" or BATB any day, even "Jane". Weepy and incoherent work for me.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Yeah, I notice a lot of people hate "sappy", which to me is what Stevie does best. Give me "When I See You Again" or "Love Is" or BATB any day, even "Jane". Weepy and incoherent work for me.
They are bland. Nothing special. Anyone could of wrote them.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
LoL Not like Stevie can.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
LoL Not like Stevie can.
That is where we differ. I think they are totally bland, not interesting. I'm not talking about Beauty and the Beast. I think the actual tune is pretty special. I wish the lyrics would of been a little better, but I still like it a lot.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hahaha. OK you all can call me a wimp.LOL.

As everybody knows on this board that I love sappy country and easy-listening tunes
over rock and roll and other so called current music .

But. I love Stevie's rock and roll tunes.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I disagree. "When I See You Again", "Love Is" or BATB are actually really good examples of Stevie's idiosyncratic writing style. Those songs are completely & uniquely songs that only Stevie could have written. I might agree that the musical arrangements are "nothing special". But if Stevie wrote songs like every pop/rock songwriter all her songs would be more along the lines of "Talk To Me".
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I disagree. "When I See You Again", "Love Is" or BATB are actually really good examples of Stevie's idiosyncratic writing style. Those songs are completely & uniquely songs that only Stevie could have written. I might agree that the musical arrangements are "nothing special". But if Stevie wrote songs like every pop/rock songwriter all her songs would be more along the lines of "Talk To Me".
How did Beauty and the Beast get lumped into this. It's sophisticated. I would choose many other songs to lump with When I See You Again and Love Is. I'm sure that Lindsey and the other producer did they best could. If they were to change the songs to something interesting they should probably get writing credit.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How did Beauty and the Beast get lumped into this. It's sophisticated. I would choose many other songs to lump with When I See You Again and Love Is. I'm sure that Lindsey and the other producer did they best could. If they were to change the songs to something interesting they should probably get writing credit.
It is the mystique that those songs carry that makes them superior to a lot of the poppy stuff. What made the woman in WISYA so desperately sad? What are the cryptic lyrics referring to? When she resorts to whispering and sobbing that one line, is she echoing something he said? Something they shared? To me the delivery of the song is a little work of art, a one-off performance of something so intimate, raw, and painful. Love Is is similar, with a weird partial conversation that leads to devastation, and the arrangement forebodes it, the echoing background vocals and slow drama, and the final segment of the song is heartbreaking. How can anyone resist the bizarre off-kilter beauty of these? Nobody else could conceive of songs like these, they are Stevie's special genius. They pull me in and keep me coming back.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is the mystique that those songs carry that makes them superior to a lot of the poppy stuff. What made the woman in WISYA so desperately sad? What are the cryptic lyrics referring to? When she resorts to whispering and sobbing that one line, is she echoing something he said? Something they shared? To me the delivery of the song is a little work of art, a one-off performance of something so intimate, raw, and painful. Love Is is similar, with a weird partial conversation that leads to devastation, and the arrangement forebodes it, the echoing background vocals and slow drama, and the final segment of the song is heartbreaking. How can anyone resist the bizarre off-kilter beauty of these? Nobody else could conceive of songs like these, they are Stevie's special genius. They pull me in and keep me coming back.
I feel like I should quit posting because my last posts were so negative. And I know, there are people who just love when she farts. Her **** doesn't seem to stink. I"m sooo opinionated. Ugggg!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I do hate sentimental songs, generally. I also hate songs about friendship or peace or spirituality. Although, from your list I love Love Is and I used to love BATB, but she basically ruined it for me, live.

Michele
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Love Is is similar, with a weird partial conversation that leads to devastation, and the arrangement forebodes it, the echoing background vocals and slow drama, and the final segment of the song is heartbreaking. How can anyone resist the bizarre off-kilter beauty of these? Nobody else could conceive of songs like these, they are Stevie's special genius. They pull me in and keep me coming back.
I don't see any mystique in WISYA, but I agree with you about Love Is. It is like I am hearing one side of a conversation and concluding what happened and what the other person said, piecing it together, is part of the intrepid joy, lending the song complexity.

Everything that is said and unsaid, summed up with I know you cannot stay. The weariness in her voice and lyrics explain: We've had this conversation so many times before . . . the song takes you through the years in the relationship and all the partings its had. The love doesn't make the separations easier, nor does it make up for them. It just makes them a given.

Michele