The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

RAL is just...a hot 80s mess. I really like Talk to Me, but I absolutely loathe I Can't Wait, especially in conjunction with that music video. Just...I have no words. I totally understand that Stevie, Lindsey, and FM had to move with the times to keep relevant, but when I hear songs like I Can't Wait my heart breaks. What happened to that mystical hippy child? (I really don't like most 80s sounds, I make exceptions for FM and a few others who were artists in the 60s or 70s as well)

I'm actually really surprised to see that some people don't like Beauty and the Beast or Love Is! Two songs I absolutely adore. Gorgeous classic solo Stevie

Edit: This has made me go back to the albums I don't listen to often. Another pet peeve of mine is when she sacrifices musicality for her words - she will shove as many words as possible into a line and it sounds like she's reading a book with a slight melody. I think Sister Honey is a good example of that; I also get that vibe during parts of New Orleans. I was also listening to When I See You Again which makes me feel embarrassed for them...I just get this strong feeling that Lindsey had given up at that point. I know he cares about the work he puts out, but he must have been emotionally and creatively spent to the point where he just didn't care if her songs were good or not. He isn't without fault on that album either, imho, e.g. Family Man. However, I place blame at all of their feet on that clunker, there is no excuse for lyrics like "Whatsamattababy".

Last edited by KindOfWoman90; 01-21-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well, i've said it before... but i really cannot tolerate Love Is. The minute i hear Sarah M. imitating a garbage truck backing up (boop boop boop) i skip it. The other problem i don't care for it is Stevie's vocal on it. She's belting it out full force and more nasal than usual... the first time i heard her scream "to the corner of her mouth" i cringed... she may as well have screamed "big fat mouth"... It's such a shame because i would probably love the song had she sung with a softer vocal like Goodbye Baby or Moonlight.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by windbecame View Post
well, i've said it before... but i really cannot tolerate Love Is. The minute i hear Sarah M. imitating a garbage truck backing up (boop boop boop) i skip it. The other problem i don't care for it is Stevie's vocal on it. She's belting it out full force and more nasal than usual... the first time i heard her scream "to the corner of her mouth" i cringed... she may as well have screamed "big fat mouth"... It's such a shame because i would probably love the song had she sung with a softer vocal like Goodbye Baby or Moonlight.
I adore the hovering and swirling vocals and atmosphere Sarah set the song to, and I wish she had produced the whole album for Stevie.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Amen.....it could have been a much more moving song with this.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you make it all sound so...dirty
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with KindofWoman re When I See You Again:
Quote:
However, I place blame at all of their feet on that clunker, there is no excuse for lyrics like "Whatsamattababy".
For an album as well written and polished production wise as Tango in the Night, this song was big mistake. To me, it's Stevie's most poorly written song but actually may have been good with a stellar lyric. But, it's just so wrong past the first line making it a painful listening experience adding to that the terrible vocal, this is Fleetwood Mac's worst song of all time. Lyrically, to add to the misery of Whatsamattababy, is that excruciating line about the dream being gone but staying up nights on end and then there is at least a dream left. What? For Shame on the whole band for allowing this to go public.

Last edited by On Ice; 01-22-2013 at 08:24 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I agree with KindofWoman re When I See You Again:

For an album as well written and polished production wise as Tango in the Night, this song was big mistake. To me, it's Stevie's most poorly written song but actually may have been good with a stellar lyric. But, it's just so wrong past the first line making it a painful listening experience adding to that the terrible vocal, this is Fleetwood Mac's worst song of all time. Lyrically, to add to the misery of Whatsamattababy, is that excruciating line about the dream being gone but staying up nights on end and then there is at least a dream left. What? For Shame on the whole band for allowing this to go public.
The 'dream' verse is one of the better ones to me. It makes me feel something, at least. The second verse about the hallways and doors is the worst in my mind (then again, there's probably 5 other Stevie songs with verses about hallways and doors that are equally as lyrically but somehow work, but with the combination of all the other terrible things about the song it just doesn't work here).

And I actually think what's the matter baby's would have been fine if it was just said once or twice, but the fact that the entire chorus is just "whats the matter baby" over and over again is what kills it.

Then again, I actually love When I See You Again even though I admit that it's absolutely awful overall. I think it COULD have been a great song, if the it wasn't sung in the weird baby-voice and if the production was better. Instrumentally I like it, melodically I like it, thematically it's nice... it's just everything else brings it down.

Thank God for Lindsey coming in at the end.

Last edited by WildHearted; 01-22-2013 at 08:44 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree that the song had promise Wildhearted 90, it has a nice back drop and a good premise for a love song, perhaps they could re-write some of the lyrics and save it in a live setting? The way it showed up on Tango though, is a major misstep and shows just how much Stevie had deteriorated over the decade from her peak of greatness.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Registered

The Highwayman
Nightbird
Some Become Strangers
Two Kinds of Love - dreadful song
I Still Miss Someone (Blue Eyes)
Unconditional Love
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorcerer View Post
The Highwayman
This is seriously one of my favorite Stevie songs ever
Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"When I See You Again". Absolutely....dreadful.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The Highwayman
The Nightmare
I Still Miss Someone
Love Is Like A River
Too Far From Texas
For What It's Worth
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Senior Ledgie

Too Far From Texas was really bad in my opinion, it almost didn't sounds like her which is not a good thing.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I See You Again is a definite guilty Pleasure for me. it would have been so much better if she were in better health. Her vocals sound like she swallowed a billion ashtrays. and yes the chorus or lack thereof can get grating....but hell I still love this song. Now Welcome to the Room......what. the. HELL?!!!!!! that's TRUE crap.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
When I See You Again is a definite guilty Pleasure for me. it would have been so much better if she were in better health. Her vocals sound like she swallowed a billion ashtrays. and yes the chorus or lack thereof can get grating....but hell I still love this song. Now Welcome to the Room......what. the. HELL?!!!!!! that's TRUE crap.

Mick
Agreed. I love When I See You Again.

Rock A Little is my favorite Stevie album, *because* of the dated sound. Because of Sister Honey and The Nightmare and Imperial Hotel. It captures a moment in time that will never come again. It ecapsulated the sound of a decade. It is lavish, extravagant, wild and coke-riddled - just like the decade it emulates, and most of all, it *is* the woman that Stevie was when she recorded it.

Every song on the album is a favorite of mine. Every. One.

Not to be judgemental, but there are some Stevie fans who only like Stevie when her songs are trimmed, neat, controlled and...proper top-40 radio fodder with grammatically correct concise verses and choruses. I am not one of those fans. Without the wild moments, the crazy lyrics, the nonsense, and yes - even the klonopin haze - she wouldn't be herself.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case