The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb Any news of the Veviers 27.2. 2009 concert?

Just thinking: has anyone been there?

Ms Moose
Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Ledgie

A very stupid and bad review is posted here in German.

“Pete is musically not so strong as in his best era (1970 ??? – what a great news!!!)

The band isn’t playing good enough, - specially Mike Dodd can’t sing. They ruined most of the songs (No word about it, they played just 4 gigs together before).”

But there are some pics which are interesting:

http://www.mendiger.de/konzerte/green/green2009.html

Best wishes and regards
Manfred

Last edited by manfred; 03-03-2009 at 03:47 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Verviers vs Paradiso

Well, actually the same feeling I had after the Paradiso gig. The fact that the band had only 4 gigs before doesn't change it. Mike announced they had been rehearsing for half a year. That should be more than enough for experienced musicians to fill an evening with 15 songs.

But......I came back after having heard the show again at home and having seen the YouTube tracks from a better position than where I stood in the audience.

Perhaps the felllow who commented on Verviers should do the same as I did.

However, I'm still ambiguous in my feelings for this band.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred View Post
A very stupid and bad review is posted here in German.

“Pete is musically not so strong as in his best era (1970 ??? – what a great news!!!)

The band isn’t playing good enough, - specially Mike Dodd can’t sing. They ruined most of the songs (No word about it, they played just 4 gigs together before).”

But there are some pics which are interesting:

http://www.mendiger.de/konzerte/green/green2009.html

Best wishes and regards
Manfred

The reviewer may have a point. Thanks to the kind efforts of Wouter for recording a show, and then placing it on mediafire, I find Green's backing band are no better than your average run-0f-the-mill club band in Anywhere USA/UK/Continental Europe.

The "Albatross" performance is stunning because Peter Green was playing his song again the way it should be played. The songs where Peter isn't featured are just average at best to me.

Seriously take a step back, and compare this band to the Mick Fleetwood Blues band (several clips on Youtube for comparison purposes). That's where Peter belongs, but I know the hype that would create as well which is why it would never happen.

I'm glad Green is back, and one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but he deserves better support.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Run-of-the-mill club band, yeah.
Which was also true about Splinter Group.
The problem is indeed that another situation might put too much pressure on Green.
Still, I enjoy lots of the songs - Peter's playing is very economical, but he has a beutiful tone. Mike seems ideal as a band leader in this situation, despite his uninspired vocals. Maybe Geraint Watkins should do vocals instead? He recently recorded a solo album with Nick Lowe.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Ledgie

Hi Wouter Vuijk,

I don’t agree with you when you think a half year of rehearsing and playing 4 gigs before should be enaugh for experienced musicians to fill an evening with 15 Songs, sorry!

I remember the start of the Splinter Group very well and I think they really began to be a great band when they toured for their DESTINY ROAD album. That means they needed beside of their rehearsing 2 years of playing live and a lot of studio sessions together to be in full cry.

Please, understand me right - Splinter Group did a good job on their debut and some times later with THE SOHO SESSIONS. But their form was strong in progress for 2 years to build their own magic in their sound and to find the top form they had on the following albums. So I think we should give the boys of the new band some more time and wait what will happen. I’m glad a start is made!

Best wishes and regards
Manfred
Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Junior Ledgie

"backing band are no better than your average run-0f-the-mill club band"

Quite true, although isn't this what PG probably prefers, ie a low-key small club type of band, where he can just have fun & jam along in a relaxed environment?

As Dino suggested - other situations could just put too much pressure on him.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default practic, practice

I have been listening to the gig Wouter so kindly put up on mediafire for three days now

band is run of mill
the song choices are nice lounge music.
when you play songs like that you suddenly begin to compete with Tony Bennett and I don't mean"Duster"
Peter is not playing like Kenny Burrell

Wouter, How did they mike Peter? His voice is a soft cigarette voice. If he is going to sing stuff like they are doing they have to be able to hear the nuances in his phrasing ,which, i might add is above run of the mill but gets lost in the percussion.

Peter is playing well and soft like someone who is not trying to overpower the material or the surrounding players, unfortunately. Peter tends to play up or down to the level of talent, just like any good basketball player. The Splinter group was together a very long time for a band. At least three times as long as PGs FM

vinnie cerniglia
Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Post "stupid and bad" review Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
The reviewer may have a point. Thanks to the kind efforts of Wouter for recording a show, and then placing it on mediafire, I find Green's backing band are no better than your average run-0f-the-mill club band in Anywhere USA/UK/Continental Europe.

The "Albatross" performance is stunning because Peter Green was playing his song again the way it should be played. The songs where Peter isn't featured are just average at best to me.

Seriously take a step back, and compare this band to the Mick Fleetwood Blues band (several clips on Youtube for comparison purposes). That's where Peter belongs, but I know the hype that would create as well which is why it would never happen.

I'm glad Green is back, and one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but he deserves better support.
I saw Mick Fleetwoods Bluesband some months ago in Copenhagen, and somehow I don't think they would be right for PG as he is now. They were ok and "blues-rock clever", but lacked in every way what PG puts across no matter who backs him up. The audience reaction was different as well.

Like doodyhead points out PG's voice will have to be put over in a way that can pick up nuances, and Mick Fleetwood was - very impressively - attacking a massive drumkit on his tour and Rick Vito was going through the motions - very competently. It was like they could not lay of their stadion-rock manners though in spite of the small venue. Of course some of the MFB might be better musicians than some of Peters Band but probably bigger EGO's as well. I think PG would get lost in it.

I agree with you dino. In my opinion Splintergroup never lifted off the ground either with it's too heavy (in the wrong sense) rhytm group and keyboard, and PG mostly looked like he would rather be somewhere else.

The question of better support is tricky, because in PG's case support means more than musical support. It also has to be humans who can put up with him and his ways I suppose.

I am looking so much forward to hear Wouters recording (in ten years time when I find out how to do it )

Ms Moose
Old 03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Peter is playing well and soft like someone who is not trying to overpower the material or the surrounding players, unfortunately. Peter tends to play up or down to the level of talent, just like any good basketball player.
I think you have a good point there, Vinnie. It seems to me that Peter has always preferred playing with people he felt comfortable with rather than more exceptional players who might challange him musically - players who might have pushed him to an even higher level, but might have pushed him places he didn't want to go. And these days in particular, I doubt that would be such a good idea.

I haven't yet listened to the whole show, but "Albatross" and "The Stumble" seem to work better than some of the other numbers since the focus is so much on Peter's playing on those two tracks, and he does a nice job with them. I have to agree that the vocals are not a strong point in this show.