Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bath Moles Club Review

This is a Crackerjack review of Peter Green and Friends.
http://www.crackerjack.co.uk/bristol...les-club/music

Crackerjack rating: 8 / 10. September 3, 2009

You can forget Eric Clapton, many guitarist connoisseurs will tell you that the only musician who could hold a candle to Jimi Hendrix was Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green.

But like many before him and many after, Green's rock'n'roll lifestyle - in particular his use of LSD - was to scar him permanently.

He's struggled with mental health problems for the best part of 40 years after, in his words, taking an acid trip where he "never came back."

Notwithstanding the odd track here and there, Green was almost lost to us for 25 years or so.

Let's focus on the positives here though, as for once this is one of those stories with a happy ending.

After tentatively stepping back on stage a decade ago with his Splinter Group and having relearned how to play his instrument almost from scratch, Green has come on in leaps and bounds.

For this very intimate show at the rammed Moles Club, he ran through a whole host of blues classics as well as some of his self-penned gems.

The "Friends" in question here are a cracking five-piece led by Mike Dodd on vocals and rhythm guitar who essentially runs the show, too. Green hands over the general banter to him, content to sit stage right and let his fingers do the talking instead.

Green does the vast majority of the singing though and his weathered, husky vocals rather suit him as one of the elder statesman of British blues - he sounds a little like a white Louis Armstrong in fact.

They kicked off with a cover of Albert King's The Blues Don't Change and the old Mac gem Long Grey Mare which boasted a slinky sax solo.

Green's vocals were particularly well suited to Willie Dixon's When The Lights Go Out and his solo on Pretty Woman displayed all of the remarkable tone and touch of his heyday.

The band flexed their muscles on an upbeat version of the Rolling Stones' early track Off The Hook while keyboard player Geraint Watkins duetted with Green on a beautifully touching Dark End of the Street.

But it was a double whammy of Green's self-penned classics that stole the show. A rocking version of Oh Well won the biggest cheer of the night followed by a reverential silence the like I've never witnessed before when the crowd realised a neat segue had welcomed in his finest moment, Albatross. It was one of those genuine goosebump-inducing moments.

Another Green classic, the swampy blues of Black Magic Woman, sealed the deal in the encore. And if any thoughts that he was tiring and losing a little focus had started to percolate to the surface, they were banished by a rip-roaring blues instrumental at the close.

To see a genuine legend at such close quarters was a real privilege. The fact that his newly-rejuvenated Green is getting back to his best just made it all the more special.

Steve Harnell
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks michele. so its peter and a 5 piece. they've added a sax. do we know when that happened? continuing great news for #3. zero
Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "The Dark End of the Street"

I just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjbtKVW-MZg

Peter seems to be getting stronger, and more confident every gig, beautiful guitar solo.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Black Magic Woman" too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI719ROGn3s
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default thats playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
i have heard of Buddy Guy playing upside down hanging from a ceiling and Hendrix playing behind his back but that is really "sideways' and he took the band with him

8^)

doodyhead
Old 09-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
That was awesome!

It seems they've been touring for some time now, but I can't find any tour info anywhere... does anyone here know? I don't want to miss it if they come to Sweden!
Old 09-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Ledgie

Many thanks for the review Steve.

Quote:
i have heard of Buddy Guy playing upside down hanging from a ceiling and Hendrix playing behind his back but that is really "sideways' and he took the band with him

Good one doodyhead!

Peter seems to be really into playing live now, unlike the latter days with the Splinter Group where Nigel Watson was taking centre stage with his lead guitar playing and sidelining Peter to just abit player. Now, Peter is playing the lead parts on most numbers and getting his chops together......great stuff.
Lets hope a return to the studio is imminent.

Blue Horizon

PS. I have been listening to a very early recording made by Peter and the Splinter Group (1996 ) that was made for the Hank Marvin (Shadows) tribute album 'Twang!' called 'Midnight' and I just love it........if you have never heard it before, take a listen via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT2xpEJJQsY
WARNING
The video is abit near the mark with regards to being decent!!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
That was awesome!

It seems they've been touring for some time now, but I can't find any tour info anywhere... does anyone here know? I don't want to miss it if they come to Sweden!
I've been relying on the good people on this site and on the My Space page found here:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=165825595

I am so disappointed--I've been living in the US but arrived back in London today for holiday and I just missed the Windsor show last night. I keep watching in hopes that another UK date will be added whilst I'm over here!
Old 09-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
I've been relying on the good people on this site and on the My Space page found here:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=165825595

I am so disappointed--I've been living in the US but arrived back in London today for holiday and I just missed the Windsor show last night. I keep watching in hopes that another UK date will be added whilst I'm over here!
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on that myspace page.

That's too bad, I hope you get a chance to se them.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Horizon View Post
Many thanks for the review Steve.

Good one doodyhead!

Peter seems to be really into playing live now, unlike the latter days with the Splinter Group where Nigel Watson was taking centre stage with his lead guitar playing and sidelining Peter to just abit player. Now, Peter is playing the lead parts on most numbers and getting his chops together......great stuff.
Lets hope a return to the studio is imminent.

Blue Horizon

PS. I have been listening to a very early recording made by Peter and the Splinter Group (1996 ) that was made for the Hank Marvin (Shadows) tribute album 'Twang!' called 'Midnight' and I just love it........if you have never heard it before, take a listen via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT2xpEJJQsY
WARNING
The video is abit near the mark with regards to being decent!!
Thanks for the YouTube clips! Its wonderful how he is laughing, smiling and having a good time with the others. Unfortunately the sound and picture is not very good, so I do hope this is recorded and filmed professionally as well. Yes Blue Horizon- he really seems to be enjoying himself now and - as you say - "get his chops together". In Dark End of The Street he almost takes of in the solo...but lands it jazzy. I think Geraint Watkins joins very subtle and soulful in the vocals - and also Mike Dodd.

The audience seems to have taken over BMW. When I saw PG and Friends in february he seemed surprised at the response, but now he seems to thrive on it. By the way I think it is nephew Joe playing that sax - but I am not sure. Somehow I don't think sax fits this outfit.

In the Pre-Rumours section there is an interesting thread about whether Mick Fleetwood and McVie might join PGaF at their concert in Dublin in late october. This is because FM is playing Manchester a few days before or after, so it would be theoretically possible.

"Midnight" is taken of YouTube unfortunately because of this silly "indecency" thing. I wish someone would put it on again. As far as I remember this "censured" version also stopped before the end of the number - which was very annoying.

And jenniferuk I sympathise with you. I am going to London at the end of september myself, and hope that it will be possible to see PGaF. But then again I also hoped when I stayed there in may
I can't see anything on that MYspace site with regard to tourplans. Maybe I am looking at the wrong things. I am keeping an eye on the danish venues though and will post right away for the benefit of the scandinavian ledgies

Ms Moose
Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Junior Ledgie

The audience seems to have taken over BMW. When I saw PG and Friends in february he seemed surprised at the response, but now he seems to thrive on it. By the way I think it is nephew Joe playing that sax - but I am not sure. Somehow I don't think sax fits this outfit.

Its not me playing guys !! if it was it would have fit fine :-)
Old 09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face Uuups.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgreen67 View Post
Its not me playing guys !! if it was it would have fit fine
:-)
I am so sorry! I don't want to offend anybody.
I DID think that you were not quite as voluminous as the saxplayer on the clip, though...
Do you know who it is?

Ms Moose
Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 AM
Ledgie

Default Could this be the sax player?

When I saw PG at Dingwalls in July, Geraint Watkins came on first with his band 'The Goldtop Band' which included a sax player. I am fairly sure that the sax player was Frank Mead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frank-mead.jpg (48.5 KB, 10 views)