The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile I guess Lindsey did have a job at one time...

Poor Lindsey...he was traumatized! Actually, I think I would have been too. What a crap job.

Robert Morgan Special of the Week - 1980
(about a job he had to get after Buckingham Nicks flopped) "That was very embarrassing too cause as you can tell I'm pretty soft spoken. I got this job trying to sell advertising space. I had to get up at five in the morning to call back east...and uh..'Hi, this is, uh,' and you'd give a fake name and give the name of the directory and you'd say 'would you like to renew this year?' and half the people would say, 'oh, sure if we had it last year' and you'd write them down, but there had not been the directory the year before. It was such a scam, I couldn't believe it. I couldn't take that for more than a month, I just got, uh, too traumatized. I just wasn't cut out for that type of thing."

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 02-11-2005, 03:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Well, that is the worst job for Linsdey. I myself could never do sales. (although, regrettably, I did somewhat for a brief period)
but at least he tried something. I wish I had the luxury to be a genius. or even go to school without working.
I have a friend from Palo Alto, and he's kind of the same. He usually only has a summer job of coaching kids swimming, and sometimes other jobs, but mostly he "practices music" while his dad pays his credit card bills. Oh, and it's not like he's frugal. Somehow, he usually has money for drink, whatever else , and tasty food.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP
Poor Lindsey...he was traumatized! Actually, I think I would have been too. What a crap job.

(about a job he had to get after Buckingham Nicks flopped) "That was very embarrassing too cause as you can tell I'm pretty soft spoken. I got this job trying to sell advertising space. I had to get up at five in the morning to call back east...and uh..'Hi, this is, uh,' and you'd give a fake name and give the name of the directory and you'd say 'would you like to renew this year?' and half the people would say, 'oh, sure if we had it last year' and you'd write them down, but there had not been the directory the year before. It was such a scam, I couldn't believe it. I couldn't take that for more than a month, I just got, uh, too traumatized. I just wasn't cut out for that type of thing."
That was the only job he ever had and he's traumatized??? Poor thing NOT!!!!! He should consider himself lucky because Stevie always provided for him while he worked on his music. And I for one am very proud of her because she never bitched about that (not to my knowledge anyway). Many women would have said:"I took care of him and all he did was smoking dope or getting drunk". She always said that she knew he was a genius.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 02-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved the Today Show interview where Matt Lauer asked Stevie about Lindsey "not working"..he sort of insinuated that Linds was lazy and putting Stevie to work. Stevie completely put him in his place and told him "it was ok for him to stay home and practice his guitar because SHE SAID IT WAS OK".....I was thrilled with her answer. She was obviously not going to let Matt put Lindsey down.

I really do not see a problem with him not having a nine to five job and staying at home working on their music. Women have a "job" when they stay home and care for the house and kids. Lindsey was working on their songs, practicing his guitar, producing Stevie's songs...he had a job, just not in the typical sense. If Stevie had no problem with it, no one else should. She has said it many times..she was doing everything she could to make it possible for them to be successful. In fact, I think it makes her feel quite good to know that she financially supported them both at that time in their lives. They worked together as a duo towards their dream and they BOTH made vital contributions.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 02-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP

He really is a piece of work. He never held a real job, yet compares himself to a struggling artist living in a two room flat. He may have a good grasp on a lot things, but reality ain't one of them.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
. . . yet compares himself to a struggling artist living in a two room flat. . . .
Whose parents were financially well off and whose girlfriend was willing to work all day long and then cook dinner for him We all should be so struggling
Old 02-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I loved the Today Show interview where Matt Lauer asked Stevie about Lindsey "not working"..he sort of insinuated that Linds was lazy and putting Stevie to work. Stevie completely put him in his place and told him "it was ok for him to stay home and practice his guitar because SHE SAID IT WAS OK".....I was thrilled with her answer. She was obviously not going to let Matt put Lindsey down.
Why? He was a bum. I'd have kicked him out on his ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I really do not see a problem with him not having a nine to five job and staying at home working on their music. Women have a "job" when they stay home and care for the house and kids. Lindsey was working on their songs, practicing his guitar, producing Stevie's songs...he had a job, just not in the typical sense. If Stevie had no problem with it, no one else should. She has said it many times..she was doing everything she could to make it possible for them to be successful. In fact, I think it makes her feel quite good to know that she financially supported them both at that time in their lives. They worked together as a duo towards their dream and they BOTH made vital contributions.
I don't know what kind of person sits at home all day twiddling a guitar and smoking weed while their girlfriend is out there busting her ass to put food on the table and a roof over their head. I think it stinks of yet another instance of Lindsey being a spoiled little kid. I feel so bad over the trauma he endured as an ad salesman for a month.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Whose parents were financially well off and whose girlfriend was willing to work all day long and then cook dinner for him We all should be so struggling
No ****. He's a musical genius, yeah, but what a spoiled brat of a man with no concept of reality. I'm telling ya, he f*cks evrything up when he opens his mouth to speak. It's like a train wreck, you have to watch to see what ridiculous thing he'll say next.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
And whose aunt (that he didn't even know) left him and his brothers each $10,000 when she died. Which back then was a lot of potatoes (and still is today quite a bit of potatoes!) Tough life....

-Lis
Old 02-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know what kind of person sits at home all day twiddling a guitar and smoking weed while their girlfriend is out there busting her ass to put food on the table and a roof over their head.
The kind of person who takes his girlfriend's songs, helps turn them into masterpieces and is the driving force behind an album that sells 30 million? I'd say he's more than made up for it.

And remember, if he hadn't been twiddling a guitar all day long, maybe Mick wouldn't have been so interested in his playing
Old 02-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza
The kind of person who takes his girlfriend's songs, helps turn them into masterpieces and is the driving force behind an album that sells 30 million? I'd say he's more than made up for it.

And remember, if he hadn't been twiddling a guitar all day long, maybe Mick wouldn't have been so interested in his playing
What a fabulous excuse for sheer laziness.

At least we know who wore the pants in that relationship.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Pardon, but how do we know this is the only job Lindsey ever had?

I think it was pretty cool of Stevie to be out there working consistently when Lindsey most likely wasn't. But let's not go too overboard in the "willing to work all day long" rhetoric either.

In 1998, I believe, during an Off the Record show, Stevie described her waitressing schedule:

"I like doing lunches four days a week for three hours and making great tips, and making enough money to support Lindsey and I so that he could, lay on the floor and play guitar all day, and I could go out and do this for four hours a day, four times a week, and then I had the other three days a week to spend with him, and to spend working on our music."

First she says four days a week, three hours a day and then she says four days a week, four hours a day. Either way, that works out to a whopping 12 or 16 hour work week. Like I said, it was cool of her to do it, but let's also be realistic.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He never held a real job, yet compares himself to a struggling artist living in a two room flat. He may have a good grasp on a lot things, but reality ain't one of them.
While I know it's a thrill to make this claim because it makes for such an easy cheap shot at Lindsey, it still doesn't make it any truer.

Lindsey never compared himself to a starving artist. At that point in the documentary Lindsey was trying to convince Mick that making a double album, which would sell less, shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. He chose an analogy with film makers to try to make this point. As a film maker, one can put out the watered down blockbuster and make money hand over fist, or one can put out something more challenging, and accept that less money will come in, but maybe feel a greater affection and satisfaction about the actual product.

Mick's response, much like yours, was perhaps funny, but not to the point.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
In 1998, I believe, during an Off the Record show, Stevie described her waitressing schedule:

"I like doing lunches four days a week for three hours and making great tips, and making enough money to support Lindsey and I so that he could, lay on the floor and play guitar all day, and I could go out and do this for four hours a day, four times a week, and then I had the other three days a week to spend with him, and to spend working on our music."

First she says four days a week, three hours a day and then she says four days a week, four hours a day. Either way, that works out to a whopping 12 or 16 hour work week. Like I said, it was cool of her to do it, but let's also be realistic.
It doesn't matter if she worked for three minutes or three months, at least she got up off of her ass and did it instead of lounging about with a guitar and few rolled joints. Pardon me if I don't feel so enthusiastic for someone who sent his girlfriend out to support him while bemoaning the trauma he endured by having to make silly telephone calls for a month. He sure had it rough.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It doesn't matter if she worked for three minutes or three months, at least she got up off of her ass and did it instead of lounging about with a guitar and few rolled joints. Pardon me if I don't feel so enthusiastic for someone who sent his girlfriend out to support him while bemoaning the trauma he endured by having to make silly telephone calls for a month. He sure had it rough.
It doesn't matter if she worked for three minutes? Wait, weren't you just dumping scorn on Lindsey describing a job that lasted just a month?

He "sent his girlfriend out to support him"? Really? It's a shame Stevie had no say in this. It's a shame that nothing Lindsey worked at was in any way meant to help support he and Stevie or prepare for their future. Pardon me if I don't pretend to know everything these people did in their lives when I wasn't there to see it.