User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I always thought opening for...who was it, REO Speedwagon (?) on the county fair circuit in '94 was the bottom of the barrel for the post-1975 Fleetwood Mac. Yes, even worse than their 2018 "rebirth"
It was Pat Benetar and REO. So long ago. Pat was first, then FM, and REO closed(I think! )
Old 08-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
That is up there too..but what can you expect for a tour preceding an album that did not even make the Billboard 200 after Rumours had sat atop it for seven months and with none of the 3 big "Rumours" singers doing the shows either.
$tevie was the only one anyone cared about, at least judging by the people surrounding us. We could hear quite a few people bitching about "it's not FM without $tevie".

Bekka was f*cking AWESOME. When she did Dreaming the Dream, she officially won me over. It's a god damned shame this lineup wasn't given more of a chance. She had the best, most powerful pipes of ANY singer FM ever had. And she still does!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I've been listening again recently to her Bella Donna tour concert (1981) and was reminded how much Rhiannon even then had already become very tame and middle-aged. No spark at all; all canned. Yes, I know that wasn't FM, but it's her song and she could have done it anyway she wished without the burden of FM, and she went with a watered down version that really isn't that different to The Dance version. Things spiced up a bit as the coke habit grew more intense, but she had already lost her ability to do Rhiannon as originally done (without mountains of coke) by the early 80s. Even Dreams had grown lame by then too.
Rhiannon will never be as great as it was from 1975 -1980. Some of the 1982 performances were still inspiring and I have been to an enormous amount of Live Stevie shows over the years. There were some live Rhiannon's this century that brought me back to the 70's for a few seconds here and there in these live performances. But that was usually found in her twirls.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was way too young to understand any of this at the time, but clearly something happened during the 80's because a lot of bands made this pivot at the time. I'm a pretty big Stones fan and the concert approach from 1981/82 as compared to their 1989-90 tours are indescribably different. They added a mini-band behind them and approached their catalog with the intent to mimic as best as possible, the sound of the album recording. Stones fans lament the change to the "Vegas-era" of the Stones in 1989 as compared to their live approach from 1969-82.

My take has been that the bands were older, the audience was older, there were less drugs and the ticket prices were much much higher. Middle-aged (and now senior citizen) baby boomers had, and were willing to shell out, larger dollars to see their heroes and relive a piece of their youth for one night...but were going to be a lot more critical of bands playing loose with the live performances. I don't know if I'm right at all, but just a theory I have had on it.

Personally, as someone who was born two months after those last Tusk shows at the Hollywood Bowl, it's a hell of a lot more interesting today listening to bootlegs off of the Tusk Tour with their varied approaches and outputs vs. any bootleg off of the Say You Will or On With the Show Tours with their standardized, sanitized, and consistent performances. Of course, the band isn't really going to a give a crap about me listening on YouTube vs. the paying audience getting their one night at the local hockey rink with their favorite band sounding "just like they did 40 years ago!"
I love everything you wrote. Fleetwood Mac changed dramatically after Lindsey left in 1987. Stevie took over the band and had a good chunk of her solo touring band onstage with FM. This is when everything began to sound just like the records. Oh how I miss the live sound created by just 4 people(Mick, John, Lindsey & Christine) and of course SN's vocals. But just FOUR people created an incredible live sound that made those shows from the White Album to Tusk so memorable for me. A lot of you guys became fans after the release of The Dance. For me at that time (1997) there was nothing in their live performance that could duplicate the magic of the 1970's except Silver Springs. That SS was filled with raw emotion.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I'm in agreement that I think with people willing to pay the premium prices for shows, the live experience changed. You had the Stones sounding more like they were in a recording studio on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour than on a stage. I will say, I think they really let loose on the Bigger Bang Tour and even some on the 50 & Counting Tour. I was at the show where they debuted Emotional Rescue and it sounded so FRESH.
Totally with you on the mini band too. I think in 89 they added Lisa, Bernard, Chuck. Now, I think they added more horns and they actually have 2 keyboard players. Maybe that was just to play She's a Rainbow
That’s just it - not to take this all Rolling Stones, but I think songs like Rainbow or Ruby Tuesday were only unearthed after ‘89 because of the “new” approach.

Bottom line is, everyone got older, the money got way more intense, and expectations changed. And with that came the doldrums that are Rhiannon since 1997 (piano intro as an exception), truncated blah versions of The Chain, and basic studio recreations that lack any oomph like Over My Head.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It was Pat Benetar and REO. So long ago. Pat was first, then FM, and REO closed(I think! )
I love Pat and REO is serviceable....but Fleetwood Mac sandwiched between the two on a Fair grandstand bill is the low point for sure.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I love everything you wrote. Fleetwood Mac changed dramatically after Lindsey left in 1987. Stevie took over the band and had a good chunk of her solo touring band onstage with FM. This is when everything began to sound just like the records. Oh how I miss the live sound created by just 4 people(Mick, John, Lindsey & Christine) and of course SN's vocals. But just FOUR people created an incredible live sound that made those shows from the White Album to Tusk so memorable for me. A lot of you guys became fans after the release of The Dance. For me at that time (1997) there was nothing in their live performance that could duplicate the magic of the 1970's except Silver Springs. That SS was filled with raw emotion.
I think there was still some fire for The Dance. Silver Springs is something to behold and it just came off right. I also think they took SOME risks with the arrangements. Silver Springs for one, Landslide with just Lindsey and Stevie (no keyboard solo), Say You Love Me, the piano intro for Rhiannon (a first in the band setting and it didn’t drone on like some of her solo performances of it prior to 1997), and Farmers Daughter pulled out to close each show. I think the problem is for the most part, they created a formula that they never changed from during the Dance. Some subtle setlist changes and some minimal arrangement choices. The sound has more or less been steady since then. The only real difference is less playing by Lindsey and Chris, lowered keys, and worse voices from all of them.

Oh - and my biggest gripe with 1987+ Fleetwood Mac, those damned background singers. I know the sound needs to be filled out but I’ve always thought Stevie’s “girls” have overtaken her solo and band performances.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I agree that LindSEY was the only gift they had left. His energy was great, even if his voice wasn't. And yet the old goat fired him. I actually think his intense energy onstage was a part of the reason. He was outshining her by far, and $he couldn't stand it.

I was always a Christine fan, until she had her spine removed. Kept Bob Welch out of the R&RHOF(which I did my best to get over), and then didn't stand up for LindSEY(which was the last straw- she's just an old company shill - my lifetime heroine, now not much better than $tevie).

$tevie's just a joke now, but $he and Dick will milk this until one of them dies. I'll bet even if John and Chris died, $tevie and Dick would keep on keepin' on.
well, she could always ask Benmont to join the touring band. One step closer to being in the Hearbreakers, and hey, he knows all her solo songs.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=elle;1259368]you know, personally and as you are all well aware i really could care less for Nicks or her airy fairy thoughts - but i think in her own way she is doing a good thing here with her PSA efforts. every little bit can help.[/QUOTE]

You are right, of course. Whenever these people do it, be it Taylor Swift or Stevie Nicks I cheer them because it may influence their fans.

But considering what happened to Lindsey, the idea of her saying she could lose HER voice as a way of scaring people into reality made me grunt, groan, growl ... well a sound emitted from my throat. I haven’t quite been able to categorize it yet.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
That’s just it - not to take this all Rolling Stones, but I think songs like Rainbow or Ruby Tuesday were only unearthed after ‘89 because of the “new” approach.

Bottom line is, everyone got older, the money got way more intense, and expectations changed. And with that came the doldrums that are Rhiannon since 1997 (piano intro as an exception), truncated blah versions of The Chain, and basic studio recreations that lack any oomph like Over My Head.
When I first saw the Dance Chain, I was completely underwhelmed.
Did someone give LB a valium? And the greeting, "Welcome Everybody"
Old 08-17-2020, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
When I first saw the Dance Chain, I was completely underwhelmed.
Did someone give LB a valium? And the greeting, "Welcome Everybody"
"Run run run run run run run"...and the ending without a solo "chaiiiiinnn keep us TO-GETH-ER!" *HARD STOP* and then that lame greeting.

Though, not as lame as what started in 2009..."let's get this party started" before Steph goes into another droning, monotonous session of Dreams.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Though, not as lame as what started in 2009..."let's get this party started" before Steph goes into another droning, monotonous session of Dreams.
Haha right that was always so ridiculous- like girl aren’t you supposed to someone who knows about parties? Because if slow boring version of dreams is what you consider starting a party? Then hm, your ultimate party girl bona fide kinda rings hollow.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-17-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
"Run run run run run run run"...and the ending without a solo "chaiiiiinnn keep us TO-GETH-ER!" *HARD STOP* and then that lame greeting.

And to think Dreams got worse! When I saw SOTM in 2014 I almost cried.

I get that she can't perform the possessed version... but put a guitar solo in there!! Don't sound so nasal monotone.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Haha right that was always so ridiculous- like girl aren’t you supposed to someone who knows about parties? Because if slow boring version of dreams is what you consider starting a party? Then hm, your ultimate party girl bona fide kinda rings hollow.
The party was over a llllooooong time ago.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
I loved in 2014 they did The Chain and went into YMLF and Christine got a UGE cheer when she started singing. That must have made shippers and goats so angry!!