User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
If I understood correctly from this radio show, those Mac discs will feature the same contents as the 'Complete Blue Horizon Recordings' boxed-set. It sounds like they're just releasing the discs individually now, without any brand-new additional material.I believe it was the Chicken Shack non-LP singles Mike Vernon was referring to, when he said they had to use the actual 45s as their source material... an unfortunate last-resort which he said was "galling," but necessitated by the fact that the masters seem to have been discarded years ago.

macfan57, am I remembering his statement correctly, or was that in regards to another artist?
Yes, Johnny Stew you're right. He was definitely referring to the Chicken Shack non-LP singles. They're definitely going to be released somewhere in these re-issues. I will be adding these to my list of things to get.

Last edited by macfan 57; 03-20-2004 at 04:43 PM..
Old 03-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Much to my chagrin, I still don't own that 'Madison Blues' set.
I've been drooling over it for a while now though... I would just like to find it for a little less than $35 bucks!
In the thread that was here about MB a while back, someone said they "saw it going cheap on ebay" (though I haven't seen it there myself) so hopefully that'll work for you (don't know what their idea of "cheap" was/is though).

Shame about them not having the masters for the non LP CS tracks, I hope the vinyl they use is in better shape than the ones I have otherwise, I'll just stick with the vinyl versions I have and skip the CD's but however they release them, I'll be interested to see how they do it with the time constraints and all, hmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
Mike Vernon did mention that the Chicken Shack singles never made it onto their albums. I took that to mean that those singles will be released this time. I'm thinking that maybe they'll be on that Blue Horizon box set. He also mentioned something about some live Chicken Shack recordings, although I'm not sure if he was referring to Christine era CS or after she left the band.

I have only 4 of the tracks from that Martha Velez album on a compilation CD. Just looking at the liner notes, it said that Christine played piano on that record. Someone else is listed as playing organ. So I assume any piano that's on that album is Christine. I'm definitely getting that CD, too.
This live deal sounds interesting, though I bet it's non CP era CS (as I know CS did release some live albums latrer on, though I'm not sure if they were while they were still with BH or not, I don't think so for some reason though) or the OA/FTV stuff we already have but here's hoping anyways. Funnily enough, I think they did release a live album which had a Shack lineup that included one of the bogus FM members.

Yeah, I've always assumed that Christine is playing the piano parts on the Velez album and that Mick Weaver (AKA "Wynder K. Frog") is playing the organ parts on the record but I know there are listings SOMEWHERE saying which songs everyone's on and what they do, it's just that the ones I've seen have conflicting info so hopefully the notes on that reissue will set the records straight once and for all.

John
Old 03-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
In the thread that was here about MB a while back, someone said they "saw it going cheap on ebay" (though I haven't seen it there myself) so hopefully that'll work for you (don't know what their idea of "cheap" was/is though).
Thanks for the tip, John!

I've actually been checking ebay for a while now, and I do see the 'Madison Blues' set from time to time, but never for what I would consider "cheap"!
Well, at least not when the seller is from the US.
If I had Paypal, I wouldn't mind bidding on it from a seller in the UK, but otherwise it seems like it'd be too much of a hassle.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was also slow in getting the "Madison Blues" set, but when I finally got it, it was worth every dime!

The interview with Jeremy (seems like he's got a cold ) was very informative, and cleared up some things. I think he says that the two Jeremy-tracks that has appeared on various collections ("Look Down At My Woman" and "Who's Knocking") are the Levi Blues Set.

Also that Peter had a diary from his Mayall days where he'd written a PRAYER before meeting Jeremy. "Please let Jeremy be good..." Pretty heavy stuff!!!

Also, he tells his version of leaving the band and joining the Children Of God.

The CDs are divided in three "sections", Christine's studio outtakes, "Live/studio" and finally "Live in concert". (I don't think this is exactly what the parts are called, but I don't have the CDs here now.)

In the "Live/studio" part are stuff like "Down At The Crown", and I finally got to hear it without all the hiss and noise that I had on my bootleg version of it. Anyway, I don't understand how any of the songs on the "Studio/Live" part could be live. The sound quality is way better than on the "Live in Concert" part, and the tracks also have several guitar parts that could not have been played by Jeremy and Kirwan alone on in a live set. To me they all sound like studio recordings/demos...

Does anybody have an idea about this?

Daniel
Old 03-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dansven
I was also slow in getting the "Madison Blues" set, but when I finally got it, it was worth every dime!

The interview with Jeremy (seems like he's got a cold ) was very informative, and cleared up some things. I think he says that the two Jeremy-tracks that has appeared on various collections ("Look Down At My Woman" and "Who's Knocking") are the Levi Blues Set.

Also that Peter had a diary from his Mayall days where he'd written a PRAYER before meeting Jeremy. "Please let Jeremy be good..." Pretty heavy stuff!!!

Also, he tells his version of leaving the band and joining the Children Of God.

The CDs are divided in three "sections", Christine's studio outtakes, "Live/studio" and finally "Live in concert". (I don't think this is exactly what the parts are called, but I don't have the CDs here now.)

In the "Live/studio" part are stuff like "Down At The Crown", and I finally got to hear it without all the hiss and noise that I had on my bootleg version of it. Anyway, I don't understand how any of the songs on the "Studio/Live" part could be live. The sound quality is way better than on the "Live in Concert" part, and the tracks also have several guitar parts that could not have been played by Jeremy and Kirwan alone on in a live set. To me they all sound like studio recordings/demos...

Does anybody have an idea about this?

Daniel
I also highly recommend the Madison Blues box set. By the way, the live in concert tracks are broken down into 2 sections. The liner notes seem to say that the live tracks on disc 2 were recorded months after the live tracks on disc 1. This record company sounds like a tiny label, but I think they did a great job. I wish they'd do the same with the Bob Welch/Fleetwood Mac years. As for the studio/live portion, I agree the sound quality of these tracks is better than the Live in Concert tracks. They do sound like studio outtakes to me also. However, last year someone here on this board speculated that these tracks could possibly be live BBC recordings. I'm not completely sure, but I thought it might have been John(wetcamelfood).
Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, that was just my guess but who knows.

That label just put out a John Mayall 2 CD/1 DVD set which has 3 or 4 tracks John McVie plays on from the 1982 Bluesbreakers reunion tour they had done in the Summer of '82 (and they're different to the recordings that are on the One Way Records "The 1982 reunion concert" CD from 1994) so hopefully they'll see the market and seek out the recordings we want.

John
Old 03-29-2004, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've just compared the Studio/live tracks of "Madison Blues" 2CD with some bootlegs that I have, and they are the same. The bootlegs says they are BBC recordings. Also, these songs are on the lists of BBC recordings in Lewry's book "Fleetwood Mac Complete Recording Sessions".
Old 03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dansven
I've just compared the Studio/live tracks of "Madison Blues" 2CD with some bootlegs that I have, and they are the same. The bootlegs says they are BBC recordings. Also, these songs are on the lists of BBC recordings in Lewry's book "Fleetwood Mac Complete Recording Sessions".
Thanks, dansven. Well, it looks like John was right afterall. It does make sense. It says studio/live tracks in the liner notes. Christine's 4 songs are labeled just studio tracks, so I thought there had to be some difference.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i love more shicken shack stuff
I only got like one lp from them
and the perfect album bring it on mr vernon
i already have the blue horizon sesions so if the new masters are the same i won't buy the FM releases.
sounds like a promising summer