Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Forever a mystery

Hi folks, a while ago I read in the Rumours thread something negative about the song "Forever" which made me wonder... Has this one a bad reputation over here? I think Mystery is a very good album and my highlights of the album are "Forever", "Hypnotized" and "Miles away". Forever has a laid back easy going sound. Mystery imo was Bob Welshs career peak. The only thing I don`t like about it is the cover "For your love". Now what do you guys think of the album and about Forever?
Old 02-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Not as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't.

To me, Mystery To Me the closest thing to "the perfect album" that Fleetwood Mac has ever done. (INCLUDING their cover of "For Your Love")

I like the pseudo-reggae, Caribbean feel of "Forever".

"Miles Away" is a generally overlooked gem. John McVie's bass part on that is nothing less than phenomenal.

"Hypnotized" is a classic.

There's not a song on the entire album that I don't like...or skip...and more often than not when I DO play the CD, it'll play two or three times all the way through.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mystery To Me is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album. It beats all of the Rumours line-up albums by quite a bit for me. There's not a bad song on there. My favorites are "Why", "Hypnotized", "The Way I Feel" & "Emerald Eyes". "Forever" is great, also. I wasn't aware that it had a bad reputation. "For Your Love" is just fine, too.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well one sort of 'gets used' to "Forever". Now I liked it... sort of a mother song to... let's say "Paper Doll", but much better. I agree with the positive reviews of Mystery To Me, except for the cover of "For Your Love", which I believe was not needed... still it does not sound that bad.

But when you have "Emerald Eyes" as an album opener, and "Why" as an album closer, it can't be a bad album. And "Hypnotized", "Believe Me", "The Way I Feel"? Please! It's a classic. Much superior to other often overlooked Fleetwood Mac albums like Mirage or Tango.

Song of the moment - Child Of Mine
Old 02-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was the one who put it on my least favorite list. I have never liked the song. It just doesn't do anything for me. For the record, I also don't care for "The City," mainly because I don't care for the lyrics (Bob's done better), and "The Way I Feel," which is kind of boring for me. But then again, I really love the rest of the album.

BTW, ChilliD, my vote for perfect Mac album is still "Future Games." But, MTM still ranks very high on my favorite Mac albums.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveMacD
IBTW, ChilliD, my vote for perfect Mac album is still "Future Games." But, MTM still ranks very high on my favorite Mac albums.
MTM may have "The City", but, c'mon, Steve...it has almost twice as many tunes as Future Games...and DOESN'T have "What A Shame" or "Lay It All Down"!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To me, Mystery To Me the closest thing to "the perfect album" that Fleetwood Mac has ever done.
I absolutely agree. I never tire of it. I only listen to Rumours a couple times a year anymore. Of course I've made myself hate it, being on my 7th copy(3-8tracks(god help me), 2 cassettes, 1 album, and one cd).
Anyway, I listen to MTM at least weekly. Emerald Eyes,Hypnotized, and Why are just phenomenal! But, the secret to a killer, classic album is FLOW. MTM has it nailed to the floor, as did Rumours.
IMO, that's why SYW isn't a very well appreciated effort, there's NO continuity, no flow.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

MTM is my favorite FM album too! I agree that Forever is very overlooked. I'm glad chilid pointed out the bass part...just incredible. I also love The Way I Feel beacuse Christine sounds so sweet on it. The City is probably my least favorite track, but I would never skip it! Emerald Eyes and Hypnotized, what can I say? It is just awesome and the way EE blends right into the piano of Believe Me is fantastic. It's like one song! Why is a masterpiece as well. Wow, I'm ranting out of order again...anyways, I can never say enough about this album. Total genious and everyone sounded great on it.

Shamus
Old 02-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Ledgie

Default Re: Not as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I like the pseudo-reggae, Caribbean feel of "Forever".

I really agree with what ChiliD says here. Likewise, for me "Forever", totally goes with cover art of the album, reminding me of a warm, sunny, carefree day on some beautiful Caribbean or South Pacific island! The song helps me to visit those places if only in my thoughts!
Old 02-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Forever. I can't say it's a standout track or a favorite FM song but it serves it's place on the album well. It's like one of those nice, short, funny little throwaways you need between tracks once and a while (Aerosmith's Big Ten Inch Record and Yes's We Have Heaven come to mind).

This is most definately one of the best FM albums and I do prefer it to even Rumours or Mirage or something like that. My favorite two are Tusk and Heroes though.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:29 AM

Mystery to Me is an excellent album.

I think Mystery and Heroes gave Christine a lot of room to stretch her contributions a little. There are jazz chords all over Bob and her songs. The harmonies they created toward the end of this line-up were stellar. I wish they would have done one more album with this line-up.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wish they would have done one more album with this line-up.
Or ten. This lineup is so underappreciated. I'd take Welch/McVie over BN ANY day! Get yourself the 1974 Hempstead, and Sausalito recordings. They are phenomenal.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by HomerMcvie
Or ten. This lineup is so underappreciated. I'd take Welch/McVie over BN ANY day! Get yourself the 1974 Hempstead, and Sausalito recordings. They are phenomenal.
They're almost my favorite version. My FAVORITE version is the Future Games/Bare Trees version, though Welch was a bit on the tame side, relatively speaking. I love the Welch era. They were all over the map back then. They also had an indie vibe about them. Great stuff!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Ledgie

After Pete, it was Kiln House and Bare Trees for me.
That said, Go Your Own Way, still gives me goosebumps
to this day. I guess I've never stopped loving this band.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

I LOVE Mystery To Me! I think Bob Welch's talent is showcased very well on that particular album. Emerald Eyes is a favourite of mine. Beautiful song with some lovely lead guitar work by Bob Weston (I presume that was Weston??). Forever is a nice, laid back track. Another Bob Welch song "Good things come to those who wait" was originally going to be on MTM but was replaced by "For Your Love" (record company pressure). "Good Things" reappeared on Bob's "Three Hearts" album as "Dont Wait Too Long" (but I guess most of you probably know this!).

Anyway... another song I like on MTM is "Somebody". Nice riffage! I like Bob's laid back, jazzy leanings...

And of course "Hypnotized"! Have you ever heard a more "stoned" sounding song in your life?? I get high just listening to that!

Great album!