Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Question re: LB being left off Rolling Stone's list

Obviously, I recall the shock, "puzzlement", and (well) hate that was abound here when Our Lindsey was left off of Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All-Time a few years back. Rightly so!!!!! I can't recall, though, if anyone from The Ledge sent hate mail to Rolling Stone and if you got a response? Thanks for refreshing my memory!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes that was was COMPLETELY outrageous. I remember in a follow-up issue they printed a letter and commented that tons of people wrote-in asking about Lindsey as well as someone else. They even had a little picture of him Mirage era with cowboy hat.

Adam
Old 05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh don't get me started. I don't want to get in another shouting match with Gerald.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

barring in mind these charts are completly irrelevant to EVERYTHING it's not such a big deal.

Fleetwood Mac are a supergroup and the Rumours era is what most people will picture when you say "Fleetwood Mac" but Lindsey rarely gets the credited he rightly deserves. Peter Green gets a lot of attention for his playing (and so he should) but hes about the only member of the Mac that does.

I don't know how this list was comprised but it seems to me that its based on the influence the guitarist has/had rather than technical ability, in which case the reason to Lindsey's absence. Lindsey (and I don't know why because his style is very unique) has never really been an inspirational guitarist to the masses.

It's without doubt Lindsey is better technically than at least half of that list but the list is such a joke anyway it doesn't matter.

Kurt Cobain? hahah Johny Rammone? OMG Jack white

Even some of the bigger names (they are the biggest influence in RnR guitar music, but the greatest) Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy page and Eric Clapton are FARRRRR from the greatest guitarists of all time as well.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I'm right in saying that in the next issue they put up some letters from readers who were complaining about people they had left out... Lindsey's pic was used as he was one of the most mentioned names.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The list had nothing to do with technical ability because if it was the Yngwie Malmsteen would have been at the top somewhere, along with Satriani and Vai et al. And if was a list of technical ability then Lindsey still wouldn't have been too high. I love Lindsey, and he's my second favourite guitarist, but he is miles behind plenty of guitarists ability wise. But then, who cares about how well you can play? Yngwie Malmsteen is about the most talented guitarist on the planet and his songs all sound the same after a while and get boring quickly, but Lindsey's songs I could listen to on repeat for ages.

I got the impression that this list was more a popularity contest than anything else, hence White and Cobain being included so high. If it was the amount of influence a guitarist has had then Tony Iommi sure as hell should have been higher as should EVH (I'm not a big fan, but most pop-metal guitarists of the 80's were highly influenced, not to mention legions of other guitarists).
Overall it's just a list that I don't take much notice of.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBanks147
barring in mind these charts are completly irrelevant to EVERYTHING it's not such a big deal.
I agree...those Rolling Stone lists are crap. But as far as crappy lists go, LB should have been on it!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie
T
I got the impression that this list was more a popularity contest than anything else, hence White and Cobain being included so high.
Yeah, it's been tough for the Mac in the popularity area...now I see why Linds wasn't chosen.

ChiliD - you don't even think he should be in the top 100?! 100????

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember madly flipping through the issue...once....twice....three times..and nope, no mention of my boyfriend. Travesty! Disgrace! Abomination! I can see hime not making a top 10 list (although I wouldn't agree with it), but top 100??? Jesus!!!

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Oh don't get me started. I don't want to get in another shouting match with Gerald.
LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUMMMMMBBBLLLEEE!