The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Most of the albums I have are compilations, so I haven't heard that many proper albums per se. Anyway, this list probably wouldn't change radically, although a few on the list may get pushed down over time as I hear more albums...
While these are ordered in favouritism, the first two I currently consider tied. Anyway, on with it!

1. Days Of Future Passed - The Moody Blues. Simply a must own masterpiece!!
1. Avalon - Roxy Music. I was listening to it on the way home last night from the MFBB concert at Sutton Grange Winery. It's absolutely beautiful!
3. Tusk - Fleetwood Mac. We all know why...
4. Tango In The Night - Fleetwood Mac. If the B-sides were also on it (I've made a playlist where they're inserted rather cleverly, if I do say so myself) it'd probably be tied with Tusk for me...
5. Soul Cages - Sting. Another beautiful album!
6. The Turn Of A Friendly Card - The Alan Parsons Project. As stated by Zombie.
7. American Pie - Don McLean. "Everybody Loves Me Baby" is my favourite track for the album, in case you wanted to know...
8. Go Insane - Lindsey Buckingham. I just love the sounds he created for it!
9. Out Of The Cradle - Lindsey Buckingham. Self explanatory.
10. Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits. "Sultans Of Swing" is my favourite songs of theirs, but this is their best album!

Dido's first two albums could make a top 20 list, let alone FM's Mystery To Me, Heroes Are Hard To Find, Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Mirage. I'd also include The Doors' Strange Days and L.A. Woman, and the self-titled Tracy Chapman ("Fast Car" is my favourite, but all the songs are fantastic).
As stated before, I haven't heard many albums (very sadly, none by Pink Floyd... ), but these ones listed are still extremely difficult to beat!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 02-21-2010, 03:05 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
The Velvet Underground and Nico, by The Velvet Underground...and Nico. Lou Reed is a genius. So, this album is genius too, all the songs being composed by Lou Reed. Favorite ones : Sunday Morning, Venus in Furs and Heroin.

Oh, excellent choice! "Heroin" is such a good song.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I don't listen to it anymore, but it was the first band and the first album I fell in love with. Favorite songs : Under The Bridge, I Could Have Lied, Give it Away, Blood Sugar Sex Magik...(okay I'm going to listen to this!)
Excellent choices, both. "Heroin" is a damn fine song.

And I love RHCP back in the day, but don't listen to them as much anymore, which I will need to rectify soonly. And speaking of "Under the Bridge," if you haven't seen it, this is full of lulz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys (1979)
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. (1972)
Also excellent choices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie
In one word... Epic. In a few more; I will never get enough of this album. I play it so often, I have two copies. The vocals are perfect, the look is f*ing gorgeous. I'd do a lot for Ziggy Stardust The guitar is infectious and the lyrics are out-of-this-world clever.

Oh my god, this is long O_o
Long is good! I am interested to read everyone's comments & ideas.

And David Bowie is effin' awesome. Since I posted an RHCP lulz, here's a relevant Bowie lulz as well:

"Wear the eyepatch, Bret! Wear the funky, funky eyepatch!"

Flight of the Conchords kinda rocks the earth. If you are interested, there are several more clips from that episode - Ashes to Ashes music video Bowie, 1986 David Bowie from the movie Labyrinth, and then they do a badass song, "Bowie's In Space." Love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
2. MTV Unplugged- Nirvana: Once again another album I has to re-purchase because the CD started to skip from over-use. I love, love the covers on this album especially Where did you sleep last night.

3. Achtung Baby- U2: Many people think The Joshua Tree is their best work, but I've always liked Achtung more. One, Love is Blindness, Mysterious Ways...

7. What's the Story Morning Glory?- Oasis: Great Brit rock from the nineties, and I love it! Don't Look Back in Anger, Champagne Supernova!
Oh man, I love Nirvana's Unplugged album. I played that thing to death, and it still stands up even how many years later. I love, love, love the version of "Something In the Way" on that album. I also agree about Achtung Baby - I always liked it a lot more than Joshua Tree.

And for Oasis, I love "Wonderwall," even if it's kinda cliche. I also really like "What's the Story, Morning Glory?" the track. Has a great sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I wish I could pick a top 20. It's hard to narrow it down to 10 as I like so many other albums equally... for different reasons. The particular ones below, I never tire of listening to.
Gimme the others, too, if you want. I went for 10 because I thought it would be doable enough for most, but if you have more, hit me. I would love to hear about them. I could do a bunch more, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
This used to be one of mine, and it's probably his best album, but he's such a douchebag f*ckface, that it's ruined his music for me. Same with Steve Earle.
Oh, do tell - would love to hear about this. And Steve Earle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
1. Days Of Future Passed - The Moody Blues. Simply a must own masterpiece!!
6. The Turn Of A Friendly Card - The Alan Parsons Project. As stated by Zombie.
10. Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits. "Sultans Of Swing" is my favourite songs of theirs, but this is their best album!
!
That's my girl, you know the awesome lethality of the Alan Parsons Project! And major love for the Moody Blues (cold hearted orb that rules the night...I did a speech and drama presentation using that bit of spoken word, and it was great.)

And diggin the Dire Straits, too. Is Six Blade Knife on "Brothers in Arms?" I love that song, but I can't remember and I am lazy and won't Google it.

For anyone that really loves a well-put together concept album, I definitely recommend 666 - Aphrodite's Child. It's based on the Book of Revelation

As an aside, I am kicking myself for not including "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" in my list.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 02-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Registered

I'm still thinking about my Top 10 list, but so many here have great Fleetwood Mac albums on their lists, but most don't have 'Rumours' included! Can this be right, really???
'Rumours' has got to be on it! I know it's so pc to say 'Tusk'-- but... Gold Dust Woman, Go Your Own Way, The Chain (and now with the expanded cd), Silver Springs.
Oh Daddy, I think 'Rumours' isn't getting the love it deserves!
But, at least you all have done your Top 10 albums of all time, so I'll shut up, I still have nine more to go!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really into Bluegrass, moreso the progressive kind, but since 2007 I've broadened my musical horizons an all that good stuff. Anyway, I'm not much of a music critic, I just like what I like. So don't ask Lucy to 'splain.

In no particular order:

All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
The Reminder - Feist
Blue Album - Weezer
Lonely Runs Both Ways - Alison Krauss and Union Station
Make Yourself - Incubus
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Lindsey Buckingham - Out of the Cradle
Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
Chris Thile - Not All Who Wander Are Lost
Old 02-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post

8. Self-Titled- Sheryl Crow: This is her second album and still her best imo. My favorites are the non-single tracks like Hard to Make a Stand and Redemption Day.

10. Actual Miles- Don Henley: Probably cheating again with another greatest hits package! I love his eighties solo work and here it all is nicely collected in one disc. Boys of Summer, The End of the Innocence, and The Heart of the Matter always remind me of summer when I was a kid and life was uncomplicated.
GREAT choice to go for Sheryl's second album. I think Sheryl was at her best between this and The Globe Sessions (which I think is her best album and Imeant to put in my list). Detours didn't really do it for me, although I do own it and saw her on the (de)tour...sorry, couldn't resist! I especially love Hard To Make A Stand and it never gets mention. After Everyday Is A Windong Road and A Change Would Do You Good the rest of the album often gets forgotten about, which is a real shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
he's such a douchebag f*ckface, that it's ruined his music for me. Same with Steve Earle.
Hahahaha!! Quote of the day. I now must use it in a sentence. I still like Steve though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I feel the same way about John Mayer.
Brandon, I completely agree!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:24 AM
Registered

1. 'Rumours', Fleetwood Mac. It's been in my life since forever, and I need 'Gold Dust Woman' Go Your Own Way', 'The Chain' and 'Silver Springs' until forever! I'm choosing the 2 cd expanded version.
2. 'Parallel Lines', Blondie. I gotta have some Blondie, and this was my favorite album of theirs. 'Fade Away and Radiate', the extended 'Heart of Glass','Sunday Girl',the insanely-hooky 'Pretty Baby' and really so many good songs.
3. 'Blood On The Tracks', Bob Dylan. I always was influenced by my older cousin, and she loved this album and told me how historically significant it was. It took me a lot of years, but I saw her point, 'Idiot Wind', 'Lily, Rosemary & The Jack of Hearts', 'Tangled Up In Blue' and 'Simple Twist of Fate' are 4 perfect songs off the top of my head without cheating and pulling the album, and decades later, I still feel a little bit smarter than I really am when I listen to 'Blood On The Tracks'...
4. 'Sticky Fingers' by The Rolling Stones. Garage-grunge on 'Sway' and 'Sister Morphine' and a bunch of good songs, visceral, enticing, decadent- almost perfect.
5. '40 Licks' by The Rolling Stones. Because I want as many of the Stones hits as I can have- the amazing 'Gimme Shelter', 'Mother's Little Helper', 'Paint It Black', and so many great songs, Jagger-Richards are maybe my favorite songwriters of all time, and the best of their hits sound so great, still.
6. 'Enchanted' by Stevie Nicks. I need a ton of Stevie Nicks music in my life, and so far, this 3 cd box set is the best place to get a lot of Stevie in one place. There are songs missing I'd like- oh wait, this isn't exactly a "desert-island" list of albums, so I guess I can hear anything I want at any time, this is just a Top 10 Favorite Albums List, so, yes, I'll stick with 'Enchanted'.
7. No, I'm not really that old... but...'Anthology' by Diana Ross And The Supremes. So, on Anthology, 12 number one songs, the incredible songwriters Holland Dozier Holland, the hook-laden 'Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart', 'You Keep Me Hangin' On', 'Stop!', 'Love Child', 'Someday We'll Be Together' 'My World Is Empty Without You' & a bunch of other hits and lots of rarities- the music still lifts me.
8. 'Achtung Baby' by U2. I think from start to finish, this is my favorite cd of theirs. 'Until The End of The World', 'Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses', 'So Cruel, 'One'- all 4 of those songs can transform me to a really intense place, and I like the rest of the songs, too. Plus, I can't keep cheating with Greatest Hits, this is supposed to be 'albums' and I'm having a hell of a time choosing a David Bowie album because I want 'Heroes' on it but don't wanna choose the 'Heroes' album... so I guess, it's a cheat again and:
9. 'Changes Bowie' by David Bowie... 'Rebel Rebel', 'China Girl', 'Modern Love' and all the others, Bowie was so amazing. I like that someone chose 'Never Let Me Down' in this poll. I loved that album, though Bowie himself disowns it, and for the cd release, he refused to let 'Too Dizzy' be included on it from the album, a song I liked a lot!
10. 'Tusk' by Fleetwood Mac, because I need 'Beautiful Child' 'Storms', 'Angel', and 'Walk A Thin Line'....but to be honest, if those 4 songs weren't on the album, I wouldn't choose this as a Top 10 Album of All Time selection... But they are. And it's late and my medication is wearing off and I'm tired of thinking and tired of typing. On edit, I'm going to tie Tusk with Led Zep's 'Physical Graffiti'.
I would like a Linda Ronstadt album on here, but can't decide which, bits of 'Mad Love' and 'Don't Cry Now' and 'Hasten Down The Wind' I suppose, but this is getting hard. On another edit, an honorable mention to the original 2 lp set 'Goodbye Yellowbrick Road' by Elton John.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 02-26-2010 at 03:23 PM..
Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Nikolaj;872864]
I would like a Linda Ronstadt album on here, but can't decide which, bits of 'Mad Love' and 'Don't Cry Now' and 'Hasten Down The Wind' I suppose, [QUOTE]

That would be an amazing Linda album! I've just listened to Simple Dreams actually...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Registered

Christina Aguilera's Stripped: I loved that she completely changed her image from the "bad" pop girl to somewhat of an actual artist.

I totally agree. It took me a while to admit, but Christina Aguilera is emerging into a very important 'actual artist' and 'Stripped' was the beginning. "Hurt," from her third album, umm... 'Back To Basics' --- has classical music as the basis of the melody, a torch vocal you gotta hear, she can sing anything, that girl. She's 28. And she's the closest thing to a vocal talent like Streisand since Streisand. She'll be around when she's 61, like Stevie
Oh, she also has Irving Azoff as a manager, now, Azoff was behind Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles, and he certainly sees Christina as 'the real deal'- she's very talented. I bet Azoff was behind Christina singing with the Rolling Stones in the Martin Scorcese concert film. Not many women have been asked to share a stage with Mick and The Stones.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 02-21-2010 at 05:52 AM..
Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
2. 'Parallel Lines', Blondie. I gotta have some Blondie, and this was my favorite album of theirs. 'Fade Away and Radiate', the extended 'Heart of Glass','Sunday Girl',the insanely-hooky 'Pretty Baby' and really so many good songs.
YAH YAH Baby! La Dolce Vita is a magic dancee *twirls*

I wanted to include more Blondie in my top 10 but I wouldn't have had room for all the other albums I love. I guess leaving 2 spaces was cutting it too tight

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
That's my girl, you know the awesome lethality of the Alan Parsons Project! And major love for the Moody Blues (cold hearted orb that rules the night...I did a speech and drama presentation using that bit of spoken word, and it was great.)

And diggin the Dire Straits, too. Is Six Blade Knife on "Brothers in Arms?" I love that song, but I can't remember and I am lazy and won't Google it.
(If I actually were a girl...)
It's a beautiful poem, isn't it? It's probably a good one to recite in front of a girlfriend.
"Six Blade Knife" was on their first album, the self-titled Dire Straits, which also has "Sultans Of Swing". It's also an excellent album, along with Love Over Gold. I own the three other studio albums, although I don't listen to them quite as much...
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 02-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going to try and do this. Hard to narrow down any Top 10...but here we go (in no particular order)...

When I Woke - Rusted Root
I'll never forget the first time I heard this album at a friend's house. It was thumping and jamming. Stayed with me a long time and still ranks high after all this time.

Catch A Fire - Bob Marley
My favorite album by Marley, hands down. I'll never forget the first time I heard 'Stop That Train'.

Arrival - ABBA
Good family memories with this album, not just my immediate family, but also Aunts, Uncles and Cousins. As kids we played this vinyl to death...dancing around like idiots. LOL. Good times.

The Wild Heart - Stevie Nicks
This is the album that got me really, really into Stevie. Bella Donna is technically a better album...but I have such a wild love for this album. This pick is certainly emotional for many reasons. Don't blame it on me...blame it on my wild heart.

Hotel - Moby
I've always loved this guys stuff...especially Play...but I fell in love with this album when I had the opportunity to attend a private party for the release, and Moby performed a very acoustic set of some songs from this forthcoming album. I was blown away...listening at a hotel, by the pool. Then partied down in his hotel room after the gig. I drank most of his vodka. LOL. I will never forget this night even though I got so drunk. Anyway, I really like this album concept.

Fuzzy - Grant Lee Buffalo
Ahhh...this debut album is tight from start to finish. Grant-Lee's writing and vocal style is nothing short of amazing. Been a fan ever since and own every band and solo work.

Bellybutton - Jellyfish
Another amazing debut album. Their second album, Spilt Milk, deserves honorable mention as well. A shame they broke up so soon.

IV - Led Zeppelin
An amazing album from start to finish. Made me a Zep head.

Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Allison Krauss
Something that really sounds like a terrible idea. But damn, does it ever work. This album is glorious. I listen to it often, I find it relaxing.

Buckingham Nicks - Buckingham Nicks
Why this album failed, I'll never know. How can you not fall in love with the vocals, songwriting and guitar on Frozen Love? Impossible.

And two albums I wanted to add, but couldn't pick between which two to choose, so they get a special mention for both albums that I played the **** out of when they came out. Still do. These are kick ass albums.

Ill Communication - Beastie Boys
Check Your Head - Beastie Boys

Last edited by Richard B; 02-23-2010 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Grammar corrections
Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
Lonely Runs Both Ways - Alison Krauss and Union Station
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Allison Krauss
Something that really sounds like a terrible idea. But damn, does it ever work. This album is glorious. I listen to it often, I find it relaxing.
Love Alison Krauss so both of these albums are great choices. I've been listening to Too Late To Cry a lot lately. Richard, I toally agree about your Raising Sand comments. I couldn't believe it when I heard they were working together and was more than pleasatly surprised by the amazing album they came up with. Roll on the follow-uo that they're recording right now!
Old 02-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Err.. I completely forgot about Patty Griffin in my post.
My list cannot be confined to just 10 =\
how about top 100 lol
Old 02-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
Oh, do tell - would love to hear about this. And Steve Earle.
I live in the same town as JCM, and trust me, he's an ASSHOLE(yes, deserving of caps), and everyone knows it. His opinion is the only one that matters, and he's rude as hell. Little piece of sh*t is completely full of himself....no humility whatsoever.

Steve Earle - I provided(and ran) lighting for one of his shows. I was a HUGE fan of his(Guitar Town WAS one of my favorite all time albums). Well, I really wanted to get one of my guitars signed, so I took a $1200 Takemine acoustic(yes, that's not much money to him, but it was to me). So I go on his bus with his tour manager, who tells him that I was the LD for the show, and a fan, and would like to get my guitar signed by him. He takes my Takemine, looks at it, and all he could say was, in front of his entire entourage, "I hate these fukcing japanese pieces of ****", then signed it.

Thanks Steve, you fukcing asshole.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

(Not in any order)
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
Stevie Nicks - Wild Heart
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
Kate Bush- The Hounds of Love

Call me boringly plain with only three artists, but I can put up with listening to the same stuff!