Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Aimee Mann on At Midnight

I've become ardent watcher of Chris Hardwick's show on Comedy Central. The show predominantly features professional comics. It was big surprise to see Aimee Mann participating as one of the three panel guests.

I'm a long term, die hard , huge fan of Aimee. She has a very low key persona, but she's very cool, appealing, quirky and clever. She held her own on the panel, and when she was the first to be cut from the panel, she responded "very very unsurprising to me."

She ranks at the top of my favorite female singer/songwriters. She has an aura about her without even trying. Her level of songwriting ranks up there with Elvis Costello.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was BEYOND stoked to meet Aimee some time ago at Ameboa in SF. I like Bachelor #2 the most, but I think she was out promoting Lost in Space. I had LIS in my hands, but forgive me...I harken back to the 80's and was stupid for Til Tuesday, so I had to, HAD to have my LP signed.
To say she seem perturbed by fact, and was less than cordial is an understatement. I realize she has grown vastly since TT, but I honestly doubt if I'd have known her music had it not been for her roots. I kept trying to casually speak to her and not gush so much...but neither worked. If she was having a bad day, I can't understand why proceed w/ the signing, and god only knows how good (or not) the show was later that night. I have since paid little mind to Charmer, and I think she did something around 09 maybe??
Idk, **** like that bums me out. Anyone I meet, they are all people with good days and bad, but like I said, totally turned me off.
That woman will work til the day she dies, and I'm so glad she's earned the honor she deserves. Just sharing my story.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 11-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
I was BEYOND stoked to meet Aimee some time ago at Ameboa in SF. I like Bachelor #2 the most, but I think she was out promoting Lost in Space. I had LIS in my hands, but forgive me...I harken back to the 80's and was stupid for Til Tuesday, so I had to, HAD to have my LP signed.
To say she seem perturbed by fact, and was less than cordial is an understatement. I realize she has grown vastly since TT, but I honestly doubt if I'd have known her music had it not been for her roots. I kept trying to casually speak to her and not gush so much...but neither worked. If she was having a bad day, I can't understand why proceed w/ the signing, and god only knows how good (or not) the show was later that night. I have since paid little mind to Charmer, and I think she did something around 09 maybe??
Idk, **** like that bums me out. Anyone I meet, they are all people with good days and bad, but like I said, totally turned me off.
That woman will work til the day she dies, and I'm so glad she's earned the honor she deserves. Just sharing my story.
Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry to hear that Aimee wasn't in a good mood that day. It doesn't surprise me; as appealing she is on stage, I assume she doesn't have the most jovial personality! I would except a steely cool attitude. That's why I have no desire to meet the famous people I admire because I don't want it to spoil my perception of them- that they are actually human!

I'm not a movie buff, but I worked for several years at the SunDance Film Festival. I knew I was encountering and meeting famous directors and actors, but I didn't recognize most of them. They were just people --strangers to me, so I had no emotions or nerves being around them. Some times people I worked with would come up to me and say "Oh my God, do you know you were just talking to?" Most of the time I had no idea!

But I digress.

I have seen about a dozen of Aimee Mann shows, often very close to the stage. One time, after the show, I just walked a few steps over to stage, and peeled off the set list that was taped to the floor. It's a great souvenir.

Several months ago, I went see a The Both show -- Aimee and Ted Leo. The venue bordered a neighborhood. I got there early (waiting to meet up with a friend). While I was waiting, I walked around the building - a cool old vintage theater- to the back, which was just a quiet side road with houses on the other side. The back doors were open and I could hear Ted and Aimee doing a sound check.

It was a beautiful day, so I sat on a low wall near the doors, amazed to get a rare chance to hear them prepping for the show. A few roadies or venue workers came in and out the doors occasionally. I realized that Ted or Aimee could pop out at any moment, for a breath of fresh air. I was both excited and fearing the possibility! How should I react? I hoped I could be very casual and just say " Hi Aimee, thanks for coming back to Portland!" I'm sort of relieved it didn't happen. Wish I could attend her annual Christmas show, but those limited shows are mostly held in California.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-29-2014 at 12:52 AM..
Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now that's a cool story!
I have met many musicians & actors, and although I agree that the chance of meeting them could spoil the image, I just can't help myself. Because they are indeed just regular people (who happen to be famous) I always hope for the best. Thus far thank god, I've been fortunate.
My ex & I had a limo service in SF. He too didn't know 99% of the people he met. You & he are meant for your jobs as they just don't need hyper ventilating star struck people around. I sadly would be one of those screw balls. lol. I am kidding...I mean I THINK I retain my coolness but a little bit of me is just over the moon. I never go out of way to meet someone just cause, I mean I only seek out those that I admire-so I'm not that much of a star whore. lmao.
I'd still go see her in concert. I should just once for all the great songs I already know and love. (Oh also killer cool you got the set list!!) I had no idea she had an annul Christmas show. How in the world did I miss that?!
I've got to run into you one day at a show!!

Old 11-30-2014, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
I've got to run into you one day at a show!!
How far are you from Portland?

Unfortunately, Aimee doesn't tour her Christmas show. She just performs a short series of them in California, along with guest stars.

Did you get a chance to see a show on her tour when she toured with her husband Micheal Penn? It had a vaudeville theme, with each of them featuring their own songs, both together and separately. In between several short sets, they had three comedians come out; each did their own set. It was very fun and unusual. Much like the time Aimee chose to close her show with Lynyrd Skynyrd's song Sweet Home Alabama! I love her songs with Til Tuesday. I wish she would take stock in some of those songs. But she is the kind of person that doesn't look back, and doesn't have much emotional connection to that period (the polar opposite of Stevie!).

I love artists like Aimee, who color outside of the lines, taking chances outside the box. with inspired ideas. I love Fleetwood Mac, but they just aren't that kind of band, given their intense multi-pronged dynamic, along with huge fan base of general fans who just want to hear their familiar, biggest hits. Lindsey proclaims this is a profound time for the band. I guess in some ways it is. But it's also just more redundancy. Let's hope they will get it together and give us a new, full album of songs.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-30-2014 at 12:57 AM..
Old 12-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am in King City/Tigard area, so for me to get to Burnside (to the alter of Powells lol) takes about 10 min. I'll be at KONGOS tonight, and seeing Fitz & The Tantrums on Tuesday. KINK's December to Remember. There are 2 other shows I had hoped to attend, but not happening. In addition, I believe KINKs Jingle Jam is tonight w/ Billy Idol (LOVE) and also Cary Elwes will be at Powells in Beaverton doing a signing. What a loaded night of options. I try to get out a lot-and Portland always has so much happening, it's not to difficult.
What I am unfamiliar with is just a good place to hang out. I either go to something and come home or don't go out. I've yet to find that cool hangout type of place. lol. Suggestions??

Old 12-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Aimee is going to be on PBS's Infinity Hall Live .Check your local PBS station listings for air times.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016