User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
The movie follows the plot fairly well but doesn't manage to convey the emotions and themes of the book that effectively. If you liked the movie you'll be bound to like the book. That is, as long as you can get into the strange writing style where mostly the only punctuation is commas and the occasional full stop/period. Some paragraphs go on for page after page!
I never saw the movie, but lack of proper punctuation is giving me Cormac McCarthy vibes (while his lack of proper punctuation annoyed me, it was his style of barely explaining anything that went on and using atrocious diologue made me stop reading The Road), but he isn't for everyone.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
I never saw the movie, but lack of proper punctuation is giving me Cormac McCarthy vibes (while his lack of proper punctuation annoyed me, it was his style of barely explaining anything that went on and using atrocious diologue made me stop reading The Road), but he isn't for everyone.
ACK OMG BLASPHEMY.

I agree McCarthy's style can take some getting used to, but barely explaining and atrocious dialogue? This hurts my heart more than if you had run over my puppy.

Why do you feel that he barely explains things and has atrocious dialogue?

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chelsea Handler books are really funny if you dig her type of humor. They are short stories so they are a pretty quick read and good bathroom material.

If you read a lot of chick lit, you have probably read or heard of a few books that I enjoyed which are "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb and "Love Invents Us" by Amy Bloom. I also enjoyed Elizabeth Wurtzel's "Prozac Nation." I'm thinking those are pretty standard chic lit.

I also really enjoyed Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes" and his follow up books that I can't remember the names of right now. His brother Malacay McCourt also wrote an autobiography which is very interesting because although he and Frank grew up together their tales of the same events vary. Also, Frank grows up to have more of a shame based personality due to adversities of his childhood, Malacay basically said my childhood sucks and being poor sucks and not being anyone that matters sucks and I'm going to make more of myself. Franks book are better than Malacay's though.

I love biographys because...welll, I guess cause I'm nosey.

He asked me for my love
And that was all
Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
ACK OMG BLASPHEMY.

I agree McCarthy's style can take some getting used to, but barely explaining and atrocious dialogue? This hurts my heart more than if you had run over my puppy.

Why do you feel that he barely explains things and has atrocious dialogue?
When I read The Road, I had barely any clue what was going on (I knew some war thing happened, but what caused it and what were they doing at certain parts?) and the diologue got on my nerves with how they seemed to say the same few words over and over again, and after a while, I just wnated to hear them say something else. In many ways, it reminded me of Book of Eli, with it's post-apocalyptic story and lack of explanation for anything, but that's just me.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kena View Post
The Chelsea Handler books are really funny if you dig her type of humor. They are short stories so they are a pretty quick read and good bathroom material.

If you read a lot of chick lit, you have probably read or heard of a few books that I enjoyed which are "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb and "Love Invents Us" by Amy Bloom. I also enjoyed Elizabeth Wurtzel's "Prozac Nation." I'm thinking those are pretty standard chic lit.

I also really enjoyed Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes" and his follow up books that I can't remember the names of right now. His brother Malacay McCourt also wrote an autobiography which is very interesting because although he and Frank grew up together their tales of the same events vary. Also, Frank grows up to have more of a shame based personality due to adversities of his childhood, Malacay basically said my childhood sucks and being poor sucks and not being anyone that matters sucks and I'm going to make more of myself. Franks book are better than Malacay's though.

I love biographys because...welll, I guess cause I'm nosey.
I have read Anegla's Ashes and the sequel, Tis, and I love both. Fantastic books IMO and I still think that part where he threw up in his grandma's backyard on the day of his communion and what followed was hilarious.

I basically have stopped reading chick lit (it felt like the same story over and over again with unrealistic people, which got on my nerves after a while), but I'll definitely check out Chelsea Handler.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have read Anegla's Ashes and the sequel, Tis, and I love both. Fantastic books IMO and I still think that part where he threw up in his grandma's backyard on the day of his communion and what followed was hilarious.

I basically have stopped reading chick lit (it felt like the same story over and over again with unrealistic people, which got on my nerves after a while), but I'll definitely check out Chelsea Handler.

Frank McCourt also wrote Teacher Man

Oh, I just recently I read Rue Mcclanahan My First Five Husbands...And The One's Who Got Away. Blanche is just precious I tell you, just precious!

Obviously autobiographics interest me. Got a secret confession (shuuu don't tell anybody) I read McKenzie Phillips autobio and also Melissa Gilberts. Nothing I really cared about in either, well except in McKenzie's. The dynamics of ABBA and the stuff about Mick Jagger was interesting. I liked the insight into what it was like to be the kid of famous rock stars. As for Melissa Gilbert, she's rather boring.

I can't pass up an autobiography at the thrift store!

He asked me for my love
And that was all
Old 09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kena View Post
Frank McCourt also wrote Teacher Man

Oh, I just recently I read Rue Mcclanahan My First Five Husbands...And The One's Who Got Away. Blanche is just precious I tell you, just precious!

Obviously autobiographics interest me. Got a secret confession (shuuu don't tell anybody) I read McKenzie Phillips autobio and also Melissa Gilberts. Nothing I really cared about in either, well except in McKenzie's. The dynamics of ABBA and the stuff about Mick Jagger was interesting. I liked the insight into what it was like to be the kid of famous rock stars. As for Melissa Gilbert, she's rather boring.

I can't pass up an autobiography at the thrift store!
What'd Melissa Gilbets do? Speaking of autobios, is Eric Clapton's one any good?

Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When I read The Road, I had barely any clue what was going on (I knew some war thing happened, but what caused it and what were they doing at certain parts?) and the diologue got on my nerves with how they seemed to say the same few words over and over again, and after a while, I just wnated to hear them say something else. In many ways, it reminded me of Book of Eli, with it's post-apocalyptic story and lack of explanation for anything, but that's just me.
it seemed to me that the lack of backstory was kind of the point. it doesn't matter what the exact mechanism was - there are many ways we could end up there. i thought it made the story more personal because each reader has to fill in his/her own blank. furthermore, it put the reader in the same mentality as the characters. it doesn't matter what happened because the only thing that matters is moving forward and surviving.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
it seemed to me that the lack of backstory was kind of the point. it doesn't matter what the exact mechanism was - there are many ways we could end up there. i thought it made the story more personal because each reader has to fill in his/her own blank. furthermore, it put the reader in the same mentality as the characters. it doesn't matter what happened because the only thing that matters is moving forward and surviving.
YOU CONFUSE ME!!!!!!!!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Still, he really wasn't for me. Anyways, I'll keep looking, and put everyone's recs into consideration.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
Yar, 'zactly. He doesn't explain how the apocalypse thing happened, because it doesn't really matter - it happened and the man and the boy have to deal with it. Were something similar to happen to us, I don't think we'd have all the details at our disposal immediately, if at all, especially if it happened to the same degree as it does in the book. Hard to get reliable info when the world is mostly dead. No radio, no TV, no newspaper.

Also, the re: the dialogue - we have to remember that the boy is just that - a boy. He's very young, and he's in an impossible situation. Not much room for learning how to be a sparkling conversationalist or how to be more articulate. I think the man and the boy's dialogue is pretty spot-on - they communicate in basics, because basics are what they need to survive.

McCarthy has a gift for apt dialogue - check out exchanges in No Country for Old Men, Blood Meridian, Child of God, any of the Border books, etc. All the dialogue styles fit the situations the characters are in, whether they're uneducated, degenerate hill folk in Appalachia or sly Texas lawmen.

McCarthy is definitely not for everyone, but hearing his writing put down like that makes me sad panda.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yar, 'zactly. He doesn't explain how the apocalypse thing happened, because it doesn't really matter - it happened and the man and the boy have to deal with it. Were something similar to happen to us, I don't think we'd have all the details at our disposal immediately, if at all, especially if it happened to the same degree as it does in the book. Hard to get reliable info when the world is mostly dead. No radio, no TV, no newspaper.

Also, the re: the dialogue - we have to remember that the boy is just that - a boy. He's very young, and he's in an impossible situation. Not much room for learning how to be a sparkling conversationalist or how to be more articulate. I think the man and the boy's dialogue is pretty spot-on - they communicate in basics, because basics are what they need to survive.

McCarthy has a gift for apt dialogue - check out exchanges in No Country for Old Men, Blood Meridian, Child of God, any of the Border books, etc. All the dialogue styles fit the situations the characters are in, whether they're uneducated, degenerate hill folk in Appalachia or sly Texas lawmen.

McCarthy is definitely not for everyone, but hearing his writing put down like that makes me sad panda.
I'm sorry, but that was my thoughts when I tried to read The Road. it was just something I'd never seen before and it struck me as being very odd.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that was my thoughts when I tried to read The Road. it was just something I'd never seen before and it struck me as being very odd.
I understand - his style does take some getting used to, particularly the lack of punctuation we're usually used to seeing. He definitely needs to be approached a little differently than you would approach the average paperback.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I understand - his style does take some getting used to, particularly the lack of punctuation we're usually used to seeing. He definitely needs to be approached a little differently than you would approach the average paperback.
Anyways, moving on, have you ever read Angela's Ashes?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Anyways, moving on, have you ever read Angela's Ashes?
I'm a Heathen because I watched the Movie before I read the Book. *bows head in shame* I know. Kill me now. I don't deserve life hehe. But it was a good read.