Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default They could have tried this

I was just thinking after watching the Ellen performance. Why did they feel the need to get two people to replace Lindsey? When Christine retired they didn't fill her spot. The focus was then on Lindsey and Stevie songs. They did Don't stop and just sang her parts.

Why didn't they do the same thing with Lindsey's firing? They could have just hired Mike Campbell and not Neil Finn. Do all Chris and Stevie songs except for Go Your Own Way and have the girls sing it.

Mike is a great guitarist, but his sound is so different from Lindsey's. Neil is a fine singer, but not much stage presence with the Mac and frankly, you don't really need a male singer. Chris and Stevie have the bulk of the hits.

They could have also added a male backup singer to flesh things out.

After watching the Ellen performance, it just doesn't work. The Billy/Rick years were ok, but that was then. Just my 2 cents.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The biggest issue is that their 3 part harmony has a dominant male vocal. I realize that everyone in the backup band is singing now, to cover up their inabilities now, but they still need a guy singing, as a front person. JMO.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I honestly don't think Chris could lead half the show anymore, which is what you'd need her to do if they didn't hire Finn and you didn't want the show to officially become a Stevie Nicks solo gig. Even on the BuckVie tour, she appeared to play a more passive role to Lindsey who, to me, appeared to be leading the show.

It would be different without a male vocal but I think it could work with the right background singers. But they aren't bold enough to do that. With Finn they can essentially keep the same arrangements and setlist that they've grown accustomed to. After hearing Neil sing The Chain, I find it laughable that they are going to try and pull off some pre-75 stuff. I can't even imagine him singing Oh Well - MAYBE Hypnotized..Rattlesnake Shake?? Come on man!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So, we have two female backing singers....singing as Christine and Stevie.
Two new guitars playing as Lindsey, the one of which sings as Lindsey.
Various backing musicians on keyboard and guitar.
Oh and Mick and John.

So it’s Mick and John’s
Fleetwood Mac All Stars.
It is THe END, not the beginning of the end.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I was just thinking after watching the Ellen performance. Why did they feel the need to get two people to replace Lindsey? When Christine retired they didn't fill her spot. The focus was then on Lindsey and Stevie songs. They did Don't stop and just sang her parts.

Why didn't they do the same thing with Lindsey's firing? They could have just hired Mike Campbell and not Neil Finn. Do all Chris and Stevie songs except for Go Your Own Way and have the girls sing it.

Mike is a great guitarist, but his sound is so different from Lindsey's. Neil is a fine singer, but not much stage presence with the Mac and frankly, you don't really need a male singer. Chris and Stevie have the bulk of the hits.

After watching the Ellen performance, it just doesn't work. The Billy/Rick years were ok, but that was then. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with you 100% (except Mike being a great guitarist, but I will concede the point to the larger theme)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oddly enough, I’d find solely Mike replacing Lindsey 1,000 times more palatable. He has a history with the band members, the Heartbreakers were from the same general era and style as FM, and he’s quietly talented in the vein of John McVie. Not to mention with Tom Petty’s unfortunate passing, it seems like a fitting transition.

For whatever reason it’s Finn that absolutely makes my blood boil. He just doesn’t belong, in the way Billy Burnette & Dave Mason didn’t belong in FM. Not to mention the band got their replacement rock star-quality guitarist with Mike. Leave it at that! Otherwise the inevitable Billy & Rick comparisons are all too easy!!
Old 09-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Oddly enough, I’d find solely Mike replacing Lindsey 1,000 times more palatable. He has a history with the band members, the Heartbreakers were from the same general era and style as FM, and he’s quietly talented in the vein of John McVie. Not to mention with Tom Petty’s unfortunate passing, it seems like a fitting transition.

For whatever reason it’s Finn that absolutely makes my blood boil. He just doesn’t belong, in the way Billy Burnette & Dave Mason didn’t belong in FM. Not to mention the band got their replacement rock star-quality guitarist with Mike. Leave it at that! Otherwise the inevitable Billy & Rick comparisons are all too easy!!
I’m right with you man. I don’t hate Finn but to be honest I didn’t know his name when this first went down. But his being there enrages me for the same reason as it does you. It’s unnecessary and it absolutely leads to comparisons to 87-90 except that Campbell is in a different and better league than Vito.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For whatever reason it’s Finn that absolutely makes my blood boil. He just doesn’t belong, in the way Billy Burnette & Dave Mason didn’t belong in FM.
But how else was he going to promote "Light Sleeper" in the U.S.?!?!

Old 09-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And booooooommmm!! <-------- the sound of SugarMouse's head exploding
Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oddly enough, I’d find solely Mike replacing Lindsey 1,000 times more palatable. He has a history with the band members,
I was okay with Mike being the lone replacement and was nervous when it came out there would be a second guitarist/lead male vocalist. I didn’t think it was necessary. I was relieved that they picked someone who’s respected amongst musicians.

Quote:
the Heartbreakers were from the same general era and style as FM,
So was Neil, though. He joined Split Enz in 1977.

It’s too soon for me to judge how Neil will work out. One TV show appearance a month in is too soon either way. At least for me.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We’ve already had this thread, BTW…

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57867

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-07-2018, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
And booooooommmm!! <-------- the sound of SugarMouse's head exploding
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post

You stole my thesis

I agree with you in part. When Lindsey replaced Bob Welch, Lindsey did not try to sound like Bob. He put his own style and licks on those songs. I think its a mistake to try and duplicate Lindsey. I could be in the minority but it would be refreshing to hear a different guitar version on these songs. I know it would be so daring because the casual fans would criticize it. But I think highlighting the new guitarists is exciting rather than trying to duplicate and sound like Lindsey. If this is REALLY a new band then show it.
In 1990 Lindsey opened up and spoke to the press about Rick and Billy replacing him. Even though he worked on BTM, Lindsey stated it was a big mistake to replace him in trying to duplicate him. The band should have moved on in a new and different direction. I get it. When Lindsey and Stevie joined, the band went in a new direction with new sound. I think the same thing should happen. Would be interesting. Mike should have blown the audience away with his guitar playing, something hard and heavy that would have raised some eyebrows and made people say WOW.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-07-2018 at 05:06 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Mike should have blown the audience away with his guitar playing, something hard and heavy that would have raised some eyebrows and made people say WOW.
That could still happen on the tour. I think people are overlooking all the limitations of a TV performance. Songs always have to be shortened for television, and cutting guitar solos is the easiest way to do that. Also, how much energy was Lindsey going to be able to show on Ellen, where they were all crammed onto a stage the size of a postage stamp? Live on TV and live on stage are two totally different things.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think we can all agree--TV is not the best medium for a live performance. That said, Stevie and Lindsey have both performed solo on Ellen, and had great performances. Stevie and FM have done the Today Show and GMA--I think we can probably agree to mixed results, but far exceeding the high school band try out we saw this week. I assume if WE all know TV not the best medium--I would think their PR folks would too. Begs the question--who decided this should be the worlds inaugural look at a Lindsey-less FM. Particularly with all of the backlash these folks are getting. They HAD To be perfect in their first showing. First impressions last the longest. This was a fail all the way around. All the chatter we've had on rehearsals, chemistry, etc. bottom line is this group was not ready to play live, or if they are, find a show where you can easily fit their new 15 person band on the stage.