User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green lasted longer than Cream.
True, and Kolors and Splinter Group lasted longer than Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, as did Bob Welch with FM. However, I do prefer those 1967-1970 FM years.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

BTW I bet the song you remember with Mick Fleetwood on the Hi-Hat was "Coming Your Way". Peter Green didn't introduce "The Green Manalishi" until late '69. Maybe that was the concert you remember later in the year.[/QUOTE]

When I saw them play Coming your Way (if your talking about Danny's song )then Mick played it entirely on the two hanging tom toms (though with Bass drum and Foot high hat possibly !)
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Les Paul not strat

I went to "wiped.com" (a website devoted to lost video, and audio material), and discovered that the show "Colour Me Pop" is in high demand for the videos that still exist of bands from the late 60's. Many claim that the BBC erased their footage right after broadcast, yet someone responded that two years later when Peter Green left the band, the BBC showed this footage in tribute to his departure.

To make this footage more rare, Peter Green is playing his Fender Stratocaster. It doesn't matter the guitar, the tone is amazing![/QUOTE]

It was I who posted on that site about seeing the tribute when Peter quit. It was on an edition of Late Night Line Up on BBC2. a live magazine prog broadcast at perhaps 10.30 every night. I believe the clip they used was Love That Burns .(but I might be conflating (Ooh Matron!)
I also of course saw the Fleetwood Mac Colour Me Pop when it was broacast .
Peter used his Les Paul on all songs , to the best of my recollection ,except , in a filmed insert of Need Your Love So Bad, and .I could be wrong ,but I think he was playing a strat in this , poss even a Sunburst one and I think?he was sitting on a chair !!?(it was 40 years ago!!) I think this bit was in B&W, but its possible I saw the whole thing in B&W as we may not yet have got a Colour TV !
The basis of the show was they put a band on the studio for a 30 poss 40 minute prog presumably taped prior to broadcast , and let them get on with it playing live (no audience incidentally )therefore it was unusual to have a filmed part .
Other lost Colour Me Pop gems include a very young Free, Chicken Shack , Frank Zappa and many, many more - including the pick of the so called "underground bands "of the time in fact - those that did sessions on John Peel's Top Gear Radio show though there were also some "middle of the road and "pop" artistes

So you could say all these recordings are reported missing in Acton (English BBC related joke )

Last edited by THD; 02-12-2011 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: just adding a little more info
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I also of course saw the Fleetwood Mac Colour Me Pop when it was broacast . Peter used his Les Paul on all songs , to the best of my recollection ,except , there was a filmed insert of Need Your Love So Bad and .I could be wrong ,but I think he was playing a strat in this , poss even a Sunburst one and I think?he was sitting on a chair !!?(it was 40 years ago!!) I think this bit was in B&W, but its possible I saw the whole thing in B&W as we may not yet have got a Colour TV !
Pretty good memory, THD! I'm sure this would be the video you're thinking of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2ek7WkQ

This is also on the Fleetwood Mac "The Early Years" DVD.

Great posts you've been making, THD - keep it up. I know a lot of us here would love to hear more of your recollections of seeing the band play live, as well as of all those lost TV appearances.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post

Great posts you've been making, THD - keep it up. I know a lot of us here would love to hear more of your recollections of seeing the band play live, as well as of all those lost TV appearances.
Thank you very much !

Just looked at the you tube clip. I have seen this before ,as it happens ,but I'm convinced the filmed insert on Colour Me Pop was not this .The only other things I remember about what I saw was that it wasnt in a studio ,it was in a house or something ,and, as I say ,my memory is of Peter sitting on a chair ,possibly astride it ,with it turned round the wrong way (obviously he wasnt playing a guitar at this point though he might still have been wearing it ) It was more like an early pop promo vid !

Now that's what I remember ,but I'm old enough and ugly enough (as my dad used to say )to know that after all these years it's only too easy easy to combine two different events into the one memory etc .

But I'd dearly like to be proved wrong about all my reminiscences of this .cause that would mean that the tape of the prog has turned up !! Come on someone prove me wrong !

Finally ,Jeremy seems to be the only Fleetwood Mac member who post here, and he was there when they recorded it, and judging from the Peter Green doc ,his memory is spot on .( One of the delights of that prog was to see him interviewed - in all my time of following this band I had never seen him talk !)

Last edited by THD; 02-12-2011 at 06:34 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes, great postings THD! Fantastic that you have actually seen and heard FM in their prime. Please keep the memories coming! How many times do yo reckon you saw FM and where? How old were you?

That Youtube clip is from a dutch tv appearance. According to Hjort's book "Strange Brew" it was filmed on the 26th of september 1968. Danny had just joined at the end of the summer. I really hope you are proven wrong too.

Ms Moose

Last edited by Ms Moose; 02-10-2011 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default need your love so bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhdfN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWwUQ...eature=related
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Yes, great postings THD! Fantastic that you have actually seen and heard FM in their prime. Please keep the memories coming! How many times do yo reckon you saw FM and where? How old were you?

That Youtube clip is from a dutch tv appearance. According to Hjort's book "Strange Brew" it was filmed on the 26th of september 1968. Danny had just joined at the end of the summer. I really hope you are proven wrong too.

Ms Moose
Thank you so much Ms Moose- I hope I am Proven wrong But even more so I hope I'm proved right ,as I would then be really impressed with myself !

I saw them 7 or 8 times whilst Peter was in the band , and a further 4 times before they settled in the US . I wish I'd seen them more, but I was still a schoolboy at the start,(well actually up till Peter left !!) and I guess I was still getting pocket money from my parents ,and this had to pay for records and everything else , sheet music and saving up for a better guitar, and a few performaces by other people Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Aysley Dunbar Retaliation , John Lee Hooker etc

So:

Battersea Town Hall ,London oct 22, 1968 ( I was 16)

Surrey rooms Oval cricket ground, London, May 8,1969

Royal Albert Hall with Duster Bennet & BBKingJune 30 ,1969 (Def saw this line up , but they did earlier Albert hall show with BB, so some doubt as to which I was at, though my memory is that it was after seeing them at the Surrey Rooms )

The Round House Feb25 1970
Ditto Venue (but poss not -the doubt here is that I think I saw them at the Round House on a total of three occassions ,but that doesnt fit with the published gig lists! )

The Lyceum Ballroom ,Strand, London 12 April ,1970

Roundhouse( Peters last Appearance possibly 24 April 1970, but see above)

Imperial College London (Peter had left ,but was in the front row watching the band!)

Kensington Town Hall Bob Welch(this is weird but I can't remember much about him being there and perhaps he wasn't?) (Jeremy had left) and Danny definitelty there (Mick did an amazing free flowing drum jam afterwards belying his self confessed limitations )

Marquee (Bob Welch , but was Danny there?)

City University ?

Some other university or College ,Bob Weston etc

I will post my memories of each one if you like, but which is the best thread to do it on ? I mean, I wasn't the only one at these events, and I 'd love for it to jog other peoples memories ,but they won't find them on a Colour Me Pop thread will they ? Or maybe they will!

Last edited by THD; 02-12-2011 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: more accuracy over dates and doubts over line up
Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Wow, Vinnie - that's a great clip! Grandma Mary can play. Her website said she only began learning to play when she was 60. Just shows you it's never too late to start!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I will post my memories of each one if you like, but which is the best thread to do it on ? I mean, I wasn't the only one at these events, and I 'd love for it to jog other peoples memories ,but they won't find them on a Colour Me Pop thread will they ? Or maybe they will!
I'm sure most of us here would love to hear your memories of these shows, THD! Why not start a new thread for them, or you could even start a separate new thread for each show.

In fact I'd love to hear your recollections of seeing Cream, Hendrix, Hooker, and others too!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 AM
Ledgie

Yes THD, please post your recollections! A new thread is a good idea.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sure most of us here would love to hear your memories of these shows, THD! Why not start a new thread for them, or you could even start a separate new thread for each show.

In fact I'd love to hear your recollections of seeing Cream, Hendrix, Hooker, and others too!
Thanks !

To Hear is to obey .

I will start a new thread.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydevil View Post
Yes THD, please post your recollections! A new thread is a good idea.
Will do ! I case anyone is interested ( or hasn't noticed it ),I did my memories of the concert at the Lyceum Ball room April 1970 on the HEY MR BASSMAN !THREAD
Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Will do ! I case anyone is interested ( or hasn't noticed it ),I did my memories of the concert at the Lyceum Ball room April 1970 on the HEY MR BASSMAN !THREAD
Thanks for starting the new thread, THD! And I did see your notes on that Lyceum show too - any other memories from that show besides Peter playing his 6-string bass?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Question Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
... The audio of those recordings are the alternate versions from "Jumping At Shadows", and "The Vaudeville Years"...
I don't understand this, what do you mean?

GJK
(from the Netherlands)