Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Brisbane

Review: Fleetwood Mac’s Stevie Nicks and The Pretenders, A Day on the Green, November 12, 2017
Daniel Johnson, The Courier-Mail
November 13, 2017 1:31pm

IT’S often considered a bit of a fashion faux pas to wear a T-shirt of the band you’re seeing to their show, let alone to wear your own band’s T-shirt on stage. But no one would dare mention that to Chrissie Hyde, who oozes cool in a form-fitting Pretenders tee, black jacket and tight blue denim jeans as the band take to stage at Sirromet Winery and launch straight into the title track from their latest album Alone.

As the song closes, Hynde swaps her jacket for a six-string and shouts a Ramones-style “one, two, three, four” before Gotta Wait. Hynde keeps her between-song banter brief and to the point, dedicating Message of Love to departed former bandmates James Honeyman-Scott and Pete Farndon, saying “if it weren’t for us they might still be here, but that’s rock ’n’ roll for ya”.

Hynde’s aversion to being filmed and photographed by punters during shows has been well publicised, and the crowd has been given repeated warnings to refrain from, and it’s a refreshing change to attend a gig where you don’t have to contend with rows of people blocking the view of the band with their smartphones held aloft.

At 66, Hynde commands the stage with a youthful vigour that belies her almost four decades fronting The Pretenders, and the set covers all bases – from a haunting, sparsely arranged rendition of Hymn to Her through to the outlaw country of Thumbelina and earnest balladry of I’ll Stand By You, but set-closer Brass in Pocket, which sounds as evergreen as the day it was released in 1980, is the standout.

Nearly four decades in, The Pretenders are still the real deal.

When Stevie Nicks takes to the stage backed by her eight-piece band – comprised two guitarists, a bassist, drummer, keyboardist, pianist and two back-up singers – it quickly becomes clear the woman often referred to as The Queen of Rock won’t be exhibiting the same between-song brevity displayed by Hynde. After Nicks performs Gold and Braid, from her 1981 debut Bella Donna, she shouts “welcome to Brisbane,” as the South Bank Brisbane sign is projected on to the screen behind her, before giving “a heads-up” that she will be regaling us with stories throughout the set.

Soon after, Nicks tells of how when she was preparing to record her solo debut, she told producer and then partner Jimmy Iovine she “wanted to make a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers record, but for girls”, before performing Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around, which features a surprise cameo from Hynde, singing what were originally Petty’s lines in the duet that helped launch her solo career.

Some of Nicks’ anecdotes are genuinely entertaining and insightful, such as the one that begins with Nicks owning a second-hand Toyota Corolla that can’t reverse, and then morphs into a story of how she got a limo everywhere shortly thereafter when Fleetwood Mac’s eponymous album became a commercial hit.

Before launching into Bella Donna, Nicks somehow finds time to don a cape, which she proceeds to tell us is the original silk chiffon cape she wore for photos shoots for the 1983 album of the same name, and explains it cost $3000, a fact she was embarrassed to tell her battler mum. It might not have been the most relatable story, but the fawning crowd lap it up and respond with cheers of approval when she makes the case for the cape representing good value for money.

Elsewhere, Nicks tells of how the second film in the Twilight series inspired her to return to write the song Moonlight and how she wrote the song on a grand piano in her hotel suite in Brisbane while touring with Fleetwood Mac in 2009 (who knew Brisbane had a hotel suite equipped with a grand piano?), and how she came to collaborate with Prince on her 1983 hit Stand Back.

The career-spanning set features everything from Crying in the Night, from Buckingham Nicks’ self-titled 1973 album, through to tracks from her most recent solo release, 2014’s 24 Karat Gold, including Belle Fleur, Starshine and If You Were My Love. But the few Fleetwood Mac numbers Nicks sprinkles through the set, including heartfelt renditions of Rumours hits Dreams and Gold Dust Woman, earn the most vocal response from the crowd.

Nicks ends her set with Edge of Seventeen, before thanking the crowd “for listening to my crazy stories”. A few moments later, Nicks and her band return to the stage for a two-song encore – Rhiannon and Landslide, a song she describes as a “little song” she wrote that became Fleetwood Mac’s “Super Bowl favourite”.

In an industry where ageing male rockers are celebrated and their female counterparts often slighted, it’s inspiring to see two of rock’s greatest frontwomen at the top of their game decades into their careers.

Steve Nicks and the Pretenders play Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, on Thursday, and A Day on the Green at Rochford Wines, in Victoria’s Yarra Valley, on Sunday

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entert...b710e0f74787f0
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You may recall I was very excited about my front row tickets at this show (and that I anxously kept checking my receipt to make sure I wasn't mistaken!). The good news: I really did have front row seats! The bad news: this was by far the worst concert I have ever attended in terms of crowd behaviour. But I'll try to be positive.

I loved Chrissie Hynde. I'm a reasonable fan of the Pretenders anyway, but the band was super tight and Chrissie's voice was outstanding. Hymn to Her gave me chills. She said it was for Stevie who she "discovered today really is an angel". I feel like there was a story here, but despite it being mentioned again during Stevie's set, we never did hear what it was... I can also fully support Chrissie's anti-camera/phone stance. It really is becoming a terrible annoyance at concerts, and it was nice to see people just focused on the music and dancing and enjoying themselves (cf: Stevie's set; see below). I think Chrissie genuinely just wanted people to have a good time, and she seemed to be loving the crowd response.

Stevie, Stevie, Stevie. My experience of her performance was marred on several occasions by ratty people around me, but I know she was stellar. With the exception of If Anyone Falls, which I honestly think she should stop performing live because it ends up sounding too shouty for my ears, I think it's the best I've heard her sound in five outings. Memorable moments:
- She said very early on that she will never break Fleetwood Mac up. I snickered.
- I loved the story about the Bella Donna shawl. My word, it is beautiful too.
- At one point (of several), Stevie was talking about her memories, but accidentally said "memori" (rhymes with "cacti"). She absolutely cracked herself up, saying that was her "double memory", and that should definitely be the plural (or "plurali" ) of memory.
- If You Were My Love is not my favourite song off 24K Gold, but she sang it beautifully and the visualisations behind her on stage were very dramatic, and captivating.
- Actually, all the visualisations were great, and I loved how they supplemented her story telling in parts.
- Has Stevie been saying all tour long that she inspired Prince's ruched pants? That seemed a stretch, even to me
- I loved hearing Outside The Rain for the first time live.
- It's possible that my mother and I missed it because of "crowd issues" (trying to be positive), but we are both 99% certain Stevie did not sing Crying in the Night last night. I think the above reviewer has referred to the setlist, which is simply a copy of the earlier setlists. No particular reason that I can give for why it was missed.
- The stripped back version of Moonlight was wonderful. Being in Brisbane: The Birthplace of Moonlight, she did tell the story about how she came to write it, although compared to the 2011 story, she focused more on how she'd dragged Karen? and someone else (a man; not Waddy, surely; there was definitely something going around me at this time which meant I didn't get the whole story) off to see the movie (twice) in Melbourne. She did basically thank us though for single handledly getting her back into recording music. We'll take it. We can't lay claim to much else

Writing this has actually made me feel substantially better about the crowd, but a quick note -- it shouldn't be surprising that having a concert at a winery, from 3pm in the afternoon, and letting people buy wine by the bottle leads to some profoundly drunk people. Also, it was not a typical Stevie or Fleetwood Mac crowd -- lots of less than casual fans (who are now complaining on Facebook about all the talking Stevie did, and about how she didn't sing enough FM songs; these were probably the same people who repeatedly yelled out things such as "shut up and sing" during the concert). Unfortunately, being at the "end" of the front row, we had a lot of people (who had paid substantially less for their ticket) trying to push in front of us, largely to take selfies and photos, not even to rock out to the songs. My mother copped some terrible verbal abuse and harassment, all for standing up for herself. I have another concert on Wednesday night (Live, a genuine 90s rock band), and I think it will be an interesting test. I go to a lot of concerts, and I really, really just want people to be more considerate of others.

Last edited by DoubtfulMiracle; 11-13-2017 at 04:30 AM..
Old 11-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
I have another concert on Wednesday night (Live, a genuine 90s rock band), and I think it will be an interesting test. I go to a lot of concerts, and I really, really just want people to be more considerate of others.
Are you on Live's fansoflive.com message board too? (I thought I was the only person Earth with this mix of taste, lol). How exciting you get to see both of them in concert!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:21 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks for your awesome review of the concert. The Sydney audience was boring, and one drunk woman near me would not shut up chatting but I didn't let it ruin my experience...
Glad you were front row and enjoyed it.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
Are you on Live's fansoflive.com message board too? (I thought I was the only person Earth with this mix of taste, lol). How exciting you get to see both of them in concert!
Oddly, I’ve never ventured on to a Live message board. Now you have me questioning why lol. Yes, I’m very excited. Have seen Ed several times solo, but never the full band (they broke up just as I was starting to go to concerts more regularly).

Fleetwood Mac and Live are easily my two favourite bands, and I love Ed *almost* as much as I love Stevie. Despite first glance, perhaps it isn’t so strange to like both — they are both wonderful songwriters whose lyrics I think people really connect with
Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyleo View Post
Thanks for your awesome review of the concert. The Sydney audience was boring, and one drunk woman near me would not shut up chatting but I didn't let it ruin my experience...
Glad you were front row and enjoyed it.
My pleasure (it was actually very therapeutic for me lol). I’m glad you enjoyed the show despite others. I had myself convinced that a more Stevie-centric (vs wine-centric) crowd would have been much better, but perhaps not! The lack of attention some people pay to actually enjoying the concert makes you wonder why they even fork out to attend, doesn’t it?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
Oddly, I’ve never ventured on to a Live message board. Now you have me questioning why lol. Yes, I’m very excited. Have seen Ed several times solo, but never the full band (they broke up just as I was starting to go to concerts more regularly).

Fleetwood Mac and Live are easily my two favourite bands, and I love Ed *almost* as much as I love Stevie. Despite first glance, perhaps it isn’t so strange to like both — they are both wonderful songwriters whose lyrics I think people really connect with
I've seen Live once and Ed solo once, before his albums. I should have driven up to Chicago to see them in August, but I was swamped by travel requests and preparations for my PhD exams.

I agree, and it wouldn't surprise me if people connect with their lyrics for similar reasons.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In 1998 there was a 2-day festival in downtown Charlotte. Live headlined Fri and Stevie headlined Sat. This is the only Stevie show that I've been to that was general admission. Other acts that were on the bill included Boz Scaggs, Isaac Hayes, Lorrie Morgan, Clint Black, and Squirrel Nut Zippers.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:44 AM

A DAY ON THE GREEN: STEVIE NICKS + THE PRETENDERS + ALI BARTER | LIVE REVIEW AND GALLERY | SIRROMET WINERY

risbane rocked out recently to an all-star, all-female line up of rockers at A Day On The Green.

Kicking things off, Melbourne’s Ali Barter hit the stage in the late afternoon with songs from her record ‘A Suitable Girl’, a bold and brash collection of fantastic feminist songs that felt so right paired with the music of the rock legends to come later. Fans were also treated to some new material as she rocked out to the thousands of punters partying on the hills of Sirromet Winery at Mt Cotton.

The Pretenders were in fine form, fronted by Chrissie Hynde, as they rocked the entire stage for nearly an hour. The band were as tight as ever and their performance faultless. Playful, fun and provocative, the music took life of its own when you could hear the crowd singing along to hits like ‘I’ll Stand By You’ and ‘Brass In Pocket’.

And just when you think The Pretenders couldn’t rock any harder the band launched into what seemed like a battle of the bands; guitarist against guitarist flaunting their skills, whilst their drummer sat behind and showed the crowd who’s really boss with some neat drumstick tricks.

Then finally the ‘Queen of Rock’ Stevie Nicks brought us a special two-hour performance featuring the songs and the hilarious stories across her 40-year long career. After starting things off she took a moment to thank and celebrate the life of her late collaborator and friend Tom Petty, whose influence could be heard throughout the set.

Paired with equally fantastic music were the stories behind each song, including how Nicks approached Fleetwood Mac to tell them she wanted to make a solo record, telling them she didn’t want to become a solo star and leave Fleetwood Mac – “I’m not the future Beyoncé, I’m not leaving Destiny’s Child,” she joked.

Fellow rock queen Chrissie Hynde then jumped back on stage to sing the 1981 hit ‘Stop Dragging My Heart Around’ with Nick’s in a faithful rendition of the duet she once sang with Petty.

In true Nicks fashion she treated us to a few Fleetwood Mac tunes including a stunning performance of ‘Dreams’.

A lot of the show was for the diehard fans as Nicks reached into her ‘gothic trunk of songs’ of rarely performed album cuts and live rarities featured on her 2014’s ‘24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault’.

With so many songs and stories across the night it was hard to find fault between Prince collaboration ‘Stand Back’ and the beautiful ‘If You Were My Love’ that was originally pulled last minute from her first album.

Closing out the night Stevie Nicks rocked on with an extended rendition of ‘Gold Dust Woman’ that really showcased her powerhouse voice, still unchanged in it’s warm, rich timbre. With a roaring crowd begging for more, Nicks’ guitarist strutted across the stage performing a wild guitar solo as Nicks returned to perform ‘Edge of Seventeen’. Wrapping up the night Nicks thanked the crowd with her final song ‘Rhiannon’, powerful and poetic, to deafening applause.

IMAGES (c) Nadia Achilles

More pictures here: http://blankgc.com.au/adotg-stevie-nicks/