The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's interesting about Battle of the Dragon, one of my personal favorites. Talk about a dark song... I always interpret the words as being about a person contemplating suicide ("Well I got the message, stay among the living"). But the song was written in 1985, before the whole Austrailian thing, which happened in 1986, I thought.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
In Tom Petty's autobiography it talks about Tom getting ready to go off on his Australia tour, and his wife was supposed to go but then said she wouldn't go. This is where Stevie had her infamous line like "promise her a Porsche, promise her some diamonds" --something very close to that. But nothing worked. So in the book it says that she knew he was having a hard time for whatever reason and so she asked him "Do you want ME to go with you?" And it was arranged that she would go.

The opening lines to Battle of the Dragon describe this time: "This was not preplanned, but after some calls, I decided to go to the other side of the world"
I miss half a story about how she wound up spontaneously touring with Tom Petty. “And I said, ‘Have you promised her diamonds or something? Buy her a ****ing Porsche.’ And he goes, ‘She won’t go’ ”—she imitates Petty talking about his wife in a low, mopey voice. Nicks went in her place to keep Petty company and had a grand time, she says, until the Australian government discovered she was performing without a work permit and told her, “ ‘If you even walk on that stage and go ping!, you can never come back to Australia. Not on a vacation, not with Fleetwood Mac, not with friends.’ And that’s, like, a career-killer right there.’ ”
I learn how she came back from that trip, having accidentally pilfered a bunch of melodies written for Petty, and wrote a song to one of them and recorded it with Fleetwood Mac and kind of like an idiot played it for Petty over the phone: “All I can hear is Tom screaming.”

http://www.vulture.com/2013/06/stevi...twood-mac.html
Old 03-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
In Tom Petty's autobiography it talks about Tom getting ready to go off on his Australia tour, and his wife was supposed to go but then said she wouldn't go. This is where Stevie had her infamous line like "promise her a Porsche, promise her some diamonds" --something very close to that. But nothing worked. So in the book it says that she knew he was having a hard time for whatever reason and so she asked him "Do you want ME to go with you?" And it was arranged that she would go.

The opening lines to Battle of the Dragon describe this time: "This was not preplanned, but after some calls, I decided to go to the other side of the world"
Very interesting insight into the possible relevance of that line. I'm willing to buy it.

The L.A. Times ran a few tidbits that, if true, might explain why Stevie's album was out in late 1985 but her tour didn't start until mid April 1986. The Times (probably Patrick Goldstein) wrote that it was Stevie's abrupt decision to travel with Petty & Dylan that in fact postponed the start of her own tour, which would have started a lot sooner than four months after the album was released had she been around to get things going.

The other tidbit was that Stevie entered Betty Ford in early 1986, but didn't stay for the whole treatment.

Finally, Lindsey said some interesting things about Fleetwood's recording schedule at the Toxics concert in Long Beach. You'd have to dig it up and listen to it. It took place at the very end of August 1986.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Very interesting insight into the possible relevance of that line. I'm willing to buy it.

The L.A. Times ran a few tidbits that, if true, might explain why Stevie's album was out in late 1985 but her tour didn't start until mid April 1986. The Times (probably Patrick Goldstein) wrote that it was Stevie's abrupt decision to travel with Petty & Dylan that in fact postponed the start of her own tour, which would have started a lot sooner than four months after the album was released had she been around to get things going.

The other tidbit was that Stevie entered Betty Ford in early 1986, but didn't stay for the whole treatment.

Finally, Lindsey said some interesting things about Fleetwood's recording schedule at the Toxics concert in Long Beach. You'd have to dig it up and listen to it. It took place at the very end of August 1986.
The song Battle of the Dragon has been written in 1984 so the timeline doesn't match.