User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
if i'm reading it right it looks like it starts out same but starts going out of synch the more it goes along
That's exactly right. I lined up the very first drumbeat at the same spot and as you can see it's quite quickly out of sync.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The more laid back take on it almost makes me think this is the sound they would've gone with if they'd have done the song with Lindsey on tour in '88 or for The Dance in '97.

Just a little bit slower and more emphasis on guitar and vocals.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is definitely singing "Aaron", which I believe was the original title of the song, as written by Sandy Stewart. The "additional lyrics" credit is undoubtedly due to Stevie's ad-libbing throughout and probably also in recognition of the song title being changed.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:10 AM

This Unreleased Version of Fleetwood Mac's 'Seven Wonders' Is Better Than the Original
Listen to a stunning Stevie Nicks vocal performance.

While most styles of music come and go, Fleetwood Mac always feels somewhat relevant no matter the year. Recently, though, as the '80s have made their way back on the big wheel of trends, Fleetwood Mac's most inconsistent era is more influential than ever. (Just look at recent albums from Taylor Swift, Haim, and Tegan and Sara.) Which makes it the perfect time for the band to release the 30th anniversary edition of Tango in the Night. The album itself might have been hit-and-miss, but what's exciting about this reissue is it comes with unheard recordings, including alternate takes of "Mystified" and "Seven Wonders" and a demo of "Tango in the Night."

Normally, these alternate versions of songs aren't anything to be too excited about. But Fleetwood Mac is different. With each anniversary release, Fleetwood Mac includes plenty of demos and alternate tracks of every song on the album. The Super Deluxe version of Rumours had early, stripped-down versions of the songs from their seminal album. Take the version of "Second Hand News," for example: Without any of the production, it really just shows off Lindsey Buckingham's songwriting ability.

Today, the band shared an early, unheard version of "Seven Wonders" that accomplishes much of the same. Without the production, this take on the song cuts out those bongos and that dorky synth hook. It's still a glossy Fleetwood Mac pop song, but feels more raw and subsequently more timeless. More importantly without the studio mess, Stevie Nicks' vocals carry the song, which should always be the case.

Compare that to the original version below:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...-in-the-night/
Old 02-17-2017, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
You really aren't fussed about TITN are you?
I did not know what you meant until I googled the meaning of "fussed." In the states we have a different meaning. To make a "fuss" means to make a big deal. Your context is to be excited?
Tango is probably my least favorite Mac album but I love the re-releases to give the band the credit they deserve. The point I was making that I read so many making a "fuss" about this Seven Wonders demo. Every online page had some article "The unleased/demo of Seven Wonders is so much better than the original or album version."
I don't see they are much different. The vocal track is the same and its just a stripped down version of the song.
IMHO
Too much fuss
Old 02-17-2017, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Stevie is definitely singing "Aaron", which I believe was the original title of the song, as written by Sandy Stewart. The "additional lyrics" credit is undoubtedly due to Stevie's ad-libbing throughout and probably also in recognition of the song title being changed.
Sandy's original lyric:

"You touched my hand, all the way all the way down you held the line"

Stevie sang:

"You touched my hand, all the way, all the way down to Emmiline"

That's the only reason she got a writing credit.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:24 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
I thought it was "never" (pronounced as "nev-uh"). Repeated from the line "I'll never see that beauty again."
i thought it was nearer ....... Near-rah

Last edited by olive; 02-17-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I did not know what you meant until I googled the meaning of "fussed." In the states we have a different meaning. To make a "fuss" means to make a big deal. Your context is to be excited?
Tango is probably my least favorite Mac album but I love the re-releases to give the band the credit they deserve. The point I was making that I read so many making a "fuss" about this Seven Wonders demo. Every online page had some article "The unleased/demo of Seven Wonders is so much better than the original or album version."
I don't see they are much different. The vocal track is the same and its just a stripped down version of the song.
IMHO
Too much fuss
I agree. They aren't radically different. To fans who grew up with the remixes, the music on the early version is familiar. Lindsey's solo which is in the background of this mix is called out on the Seven Wonders dub version.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
IMHO
Too much fuss
Sorry, I need to be more aware of my British colloquialisms. Yes, I recall from previous posts you don't tend to hold Tango in particularly high esteem and I think that came across in your assessment of the Seven Wonders outtake. For me TITN is the album that got me into the band and for that matter it will always be my favourite. I've been so excited about the deluxe releases so far. Though I love TITN so much it is without a doubt the one deluxe release that has excited me the most- for several reasons. I'm sure I'll get it but I havent bothered to order it yet.
I too seem to be in the minority and cannot see the big fuss over the early Seven Wonders version. I don't dislike it but I personally much prefer the polished version with all the extra synth hooks- they made the song so...catchy.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Ledgie

Interesting the final version is slightly sped up, hence the slightly higher pitched Stevie vocals.

I think he did the same thing with Everywhere and Isn't It Midnight too, Christine's voice sounds higher than usual.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That dorky Synth Hook. Exactly. Lindsey''s tasteful warm guitarline on this version was butchered for it. Unforgivable. The pace of the endversion is better, though.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:25 PM

If someone is interested, now the song is available also on Spotify.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 PM

Love this version. It's plods along... but some things are really cool about it. I love the backing vocals. You can hear them better. Great lead vocal by stevie. Sounds the same to my ears. One of my favorite Fleetwood Mac Songs.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Ledgie

Same vocal. But slightly sped up for album version. It's long been told that she received writing credit because Lindsey didn't like any other take than this one, in which she flubbed some of the original lyrics. Given her vocal condition at the time, it's easy to believe that he couldn't get a better performance out of her.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So something you hear a lot is that Stevie only spent two weeks in the studio for TITN. I've also heard that 7W is her last pre-Betty Ford vocal. Then there's WTTRS, which is about the Betty Ford experience. Is two weeks an approximate cumulative total for off-and-on work in the studio during 1986 and early 1987? Do we have any idea what was recorded when?