The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Say You Will era would've been their best era if Christine had been there. The set lists were great and the concerts were probably more exciting than the ones from 1997.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Senior Ledgie

Say You Will was FM's best album since Rumours.

Think About Me is Christine's best ever FM song.

Lindsey has released the best solo albums by some margin.

Gypsy sounds too much like Sara

None of Stevie's producers can make her songs sound as good as Lyndsey does, though Dave Stewart isn't too far off.

Dan Perfect did really good work on "In the Meantime" and Christine should work with him again. "Friend" is Chris's best solo song, ever.

Last edited by Ench; 01-31-2017 at 09:32 AM..
Old 02-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
I don't think Carol Ann Harris was a bad person or just a Stevie replacement. I think she and Lindsey definitely shared something together and I do think he loved her and wasn't just trying to get back at Stevie.
I couldn't agree more. I'm quite sure that by 1979/80, Lindsey Buckingham was not only very much "over" Stevie, but considered her antics to be quite ridiculous.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I couldn't agree more. I'm quite sure that by 1979/80, Lindsey Buckingham was not only very much "over" Stevie, but considered her antics to be quite ridiculous.
Currently, also.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
That entire group is growing exponentially!
Old 02-02-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That entire group is growing exponentially!
Yeah, when they started in on his wife.. and how he really loved Stevie..
blahhh the whole creepy factor set in..
Old 02-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
The Say You Will era would've been their best era if Christine had been there. The set lists were great and the concerts were probably more exciting than the ones from 1997.
In fairness, the set lists might not have been as adventurous had she been there. I am a HUGE Christine fan, but she has so many hits that every time she steps to the mic it's a run-through of their radio songs. I would have LOVED her on SYW, especially since her ITM album was so intriguing to me. "Friend," "Bad Loser," "Anything is Possible," "Giving it Back" and "Forgiveness" would have sounded dynamite alongside the Buckingham-Nicks material.

At the same time, I was so pleased with ITM that I'm glad I got to hear 12 songs (14 if you count the acoustic Friend and Come Out to Play).
Old 02-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1 - I've never been a fan of Christine's singing live. She has always sounded pitchy to my ears, even back in the late 70s and early 80s.

1b - The pitch correction used on The Dance for Christine on Everywhere (I think...) ruins it. Why do it when most of the rest of the album sounds like it was rerecorded anyway?

2 - In the studio, I'd rather hear Lindsey and Christine sing harmonies than LB/SN or CM/SN.

3 - Everyone single one of Lindsey solo albums is better than every Fleetwood Mac album except Then Play On, Rumours, Tusk and Say You Will.

4 - Say You Will is Stevie's best collection of songs overall on any Mac album (maybe tied with Tusk).
Old 02-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. 1975+>pre-1975
2. Lindsey's solo work stinks with the rare exception here and there
3. There is a fairly good reason that Rumours dominates their setlists, it's, by far, their best collection of work as a band
4. I love Tusk, but some of Tusk stinks
5. The Rick and Billy live years make me cringe "Are we havin' fun yet!?"
6. Yeah, Lindsey probably would have said that to Bob Dylan
7. Stevie, like most old people, has become more and more irritating as the years have gone on
8. Not That Funny is simply not that good...and while at least we were spared the 13 minute spectacle in 2013, he had other "Tusk" options that would have been much, much, better
9. Lindsey's voice is terrible in concert for at least the last 8 years....it is painful hearing him croak out GYOW with the lowered key and plodding tempo
10. Sometimes the fans of this band turn me off more than even the band's ridiculous personalities and drama....how grown adults can carry on about Stevie and Lindsey's ridiculous relationship and "ship" them is beyond me - they dated for what, 5 years, 40+ years ago?

Last edited by jmn3; 02-02-2017 at 05:59 PM..
Old 02-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ench View Post
Say You Will was FM's best album since Rumours.

Think About Me is Christine's best ever FM song.

Lindsey has released the best solo albums by some margin.

Gypsy sounds too much like Sara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
2 - In the studio, I'd rather hear Lindsey and Christine sing harmonies than LB/SN or CM/SN.

3 - Everyone single one of Lindsey solo albums is better than every Fleetwood Mac album except Then Play On, Rumours, Tusk and Say You Will.
agree on Say You Will being up there on FM albums - and it's definitely unpopular opinion!

also agree on Lindsey's solo albums being the best of all their solo albums by far, also unpopular. possibly because many FM fans never bothered to listen a lot of his solo stuff. but i would put some of his solo albums above almost any FM album (Cradle and Seeds for example). i think SYW has some of his great solo stuff on it, but solo GOS and UTS have other parts of that whole.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
1 - I've never been a fan of Christine's singing live. She has always sounded pitchy to my ears, even back in the late 70s and early 80s....

).
I can totally see this. She sounded fantastic live from 1973-76. Rarely is there a live show or soundboard from this era where she doesn't sound terrific. But excessive touring, drugs, and the fact that her lovely soft voice doesn't translate easily to an area setting makes her live performances less, shall I say, perfect?

When she's off pitch, she can sound awful. Her "Songbird" on the Tusk Doc is cringeworthy, as is the live "Over and Over" version used on the 1980 live album. She was similarly in rough shape for the Mirage tour--if the HBO special is anything to go on (though I have heard very good live versions of "Hold Me" and "Brown Eyes" from 1982 shows).

But for the Tango tour she sounds very strong. And she was in pretty good form for her solo tour in 1984. YMLF from The Dance is amazeballs. But overall, even when she is in tune or in pitch, her performances live do not electricfy as the other two's songs sometimes do.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
7. Stevie, like most old people, has become more and more irritating as the years have gone on
8. Not That Funny is simply not that good...and while at least we were spared the 13 minute spectacle in 2013, he had other "Tusk" options that would have been much, much, better
9. Lindsey's voice is terrible in concert for at least the last 8 years....it is painful hearing him croak out GYOW with the lowered key and plodding tempo
10. Sometimes the fans of this band turn me off more than even the band's ridiculous personalities and drama....how grown adults can carry on about Stevie and Lindsey's ridiculous relationship and "ship" them is beyond me - they dated for what, 5 years, 40+ years ago?
6. Yeah, he probably would have.
7. Agreed. I hope she realizes it. She drones on and on, all about her own world. Complete narcissist.
8. I would show friends in high school the Mirage concert, and they would cringe and make me turn it off, when NTF came on. TRULY an embarrassment, with all that screaming.
9. It is so bad now. I really feel for him, because he's giving it all he has, but it's just not there now. Stevie learned years ago to hide behind the backup singers. Last time I saw them, Lindsey was pretty much singing ONLY the verses, and letting "the girls"(NOT Chris and Stevie) sing the choruses.
I hope they DO pull the plug in the next 3-5 years. Because the time is coming(or already past).
10. People think that I hate Stevie... And while she is my least favorite member, it's really because of the fanbase that she has, and the shipper community. They're (IMO) f*cking ridiculous, and I LOATHE them far far more than my small disdain for Stevie. Unicorn farts and all.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
1. 1975+>pre-1975
2. Lindsey's solo work stinks with the rare exception here and there
3. There is a fairly good reason that Rumours dominates their setlists, it's, by far, their best collection of work as a band
4. I love Tusk, but some of Tusk stinks
5. The Rick and Billy live years make me cringe "Are we havin' fun yet!?"

Unpopular opinions...I can only believe the vast majority would agree with the vast majority of what you write. Either that or we are a meeting of minds!

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Unpopular opinions...I can only believe the vast majority would agree with the vast majority of what you write. Either that or we are a meeting of minds!
Haha...all depends on which segment of the FM fandom you asked I suppose! I'm sure my #10 could get me castrated by some...
Old 02-04-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Haha...all depends on which segment of the FM fandom you asked I suppose! I'm sure my #10 could get me castrated by some...
Not by me. It got creepy here for a while. It was like an obsession of an agenda. The castration happened when you disagreed. And when Christine came back, all hell broke loose. lol