User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Right? I haven't seen her run that fast since she was catching Lindsey at the AMA's.
I understand that her teleprompter went out, but when she saw the musicians leaving, what did she think? That it was her place in the set to sing acapellla?

Michele
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I understand that her teleprompter went out, but when she saw the musicians leaving, what did she think? That it was her place in the set to sing acapellla?

Michele
What's funny is that it almost looks like she waves goodbye to them

Of course, she was probably waving to the crowd. But I'm going to pretend she was waving to Mick and Lindsey because it's funnier that way.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Really, she needs a teleprompter to know it's the end of the set? What do they write on it? "Go home now, Stevie?"
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
What's funny is that it almost looks like she waves goodbye to them

Of course, she was probably waving to the crowd. But I'm going to pretend she was waving to Mick and Lindsey because it's funnier that way.
I actually do think she was waving goodbye to Mick and Lindsey as if to say "you guys are leaving me out here" or "you are leaving too early" when in reality she was the one that was out there for no reason lol

Last edited by ShangriLaTroubl; 04-20-2013 at 03:19 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Really, she needs a teleprompter to know it's the end of the set? What do they write on it? "Go home now, Stevie?"

At Jones Beach last summer the teleprompter said "GO TO TENT"
Old 04-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
That was so cute!
That Smile! Makes me happy
Old 04-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anyone have a youtube video of "Sad Angel" from TD Garden? I would really like one Or even a recording.. I was too excited and didn't get to record it.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, i've had quite a bit of time to mull things over. I wasn't going to write a review this time. However, if I don't write some of this stuff down I will probably forget 85% of it.

The minute the bombings happened (I'm from Boston, and luckily, no, I wasn't at the marathon due to work, however, I have stood in that exact spot before), I thought the show was going to be cancelled. Both the Celtics and Bruins had already called their games, mostly done out of respect. I thought, theres no way they are going to let the band and 20,000 people into Boston after a terror attack. However, I was proven wrong.

The attack happened on a Monday, Stevie was in Toronto at the screening (Tuesday?) that same week. I was very surprised when she *didn't* mention anything about Boston in any of the interviews.

Thursday rolled around and the show was still 'on.' I hate the day of a show, I'm always filled with anxiety. Not bad anxiety, but just excited anxiety. I had third row seats on Lindseys side. After several beers at the Fours, my family and I entered the Garden. We walked by several officers with assault rifles, calming to say the least.

I walked right into the Garden and went right to the stage. People had already gathered at the front and they were allowing the "first three rows" to go up. I took a spot to the right of Lindsey, which is great, but I didn't realize his amp would almost completely block my view of Stevie (could only see her head).

The lights went down and the audience went crazy. It looked to me like it was a sell out. I always forget how small Stevie actually is. The internet makes her look much larger. I was very excited for this show. Way more excited than I was for Unleashed. From what I saw on youtube, Stevie seemed to be moving a lot better than her 2012 stage presence.

Second Hand News - This is a fantastic opener. I knew without a doubt that they were going to open with this. I called it when they announced the tour. As a matter of fact, I think someone must have handed them the 82' Mirage set during rehearsals, because they are nearly identical. Lindsey had a guitar issue at the beginning of the song, something wasn't working. He played his solo right over my head!

The Chain - I sort of miss this as the opener. It has a different energy when its in the first slot of the set list. If they aren't going to play this first, then I think they should move it somewhere else and change the arrangement (I'll touch on this later). The crowd went nuts for this one, especially during John's solo. I'm not going to repeat what Stevie said, you've already read it.

Dreams - Boring. I understand they have to play it, but I don't think I have listened to this song once since I saw Stevie last summer!

Sad Angel - Love the harmonies on this song. It definitely was more exciting the first few times I heard it, but its still a solid Mac song. Still, however, I think both Stevie and Lindsey's solo material hold up stronger than their 2 new tracks. It sounds like Lindsey just used his guitar parts from I Know I'm Not Wrong. Very fun song, though! Stevie runs away at the end to change for Rhiannon.

Rhiannon - New shawl for this. Nothing new from her on this one, really.

Not That Funny - I'm glad Lindsey decided to talk about 'Tusk' but I think their song selections were really crappy. We've heard him do this one 100 times already, there was no need to do this again. I would have preferred IKINW again if I knew this was the other choice. What about "What Makes You Think You're the One" or "Thats Enough for Me" or hell, even "The Ledge." There were so many other wonderful choices. I hate that he landed on this one. I'm just so glad we didn't have to endure a 2x drum solo from Mick.

Tusk - Yes, sweet Jesus this rocks. Never fails. Whether its Lindsey by humself or with the Mac, this song is just amazing live. The energy is just through the roof. You can tell Stevie likes this one too. She was all over the stage.

Sisters - Now this is what i've been waiting for. I guess its what we have all been waiting for. Now I knew that this could never match up to the Mirage version, but I think they could have made it a little more interesting. First of all, no new outfit? Hello, the hooded cape would have been spectacular. Second, this should still have been in the first encore. Third, Lindseys guitar was quite weak. Mick and John were pounding away, though. I loved how at the beginning the crowd went nuts. very fun, but a little anti-climatic.

Sara - I couldn't believe this one is back in the set. Honestly, the 2004 version was plenty. I think her Soundstage version was better than any recent Mac performance. This does suck the energy right out of the set. She went for the lower parts on some of the high notes. However, I was glad that she sang the "and the wind became.." part. Also, I love the new skirts shes sporting. Was so sick of the ruffle dress. Lindsey seemed extra flirty when she went over to him. He sort of put his head on her back. They did their little circle hug thing. I think at this point shes like "this is ridiculous, but i'll play it up for the audience."

Big Love - Way overdone, but still amazing to watch.

Landslide - As sick as I am of this, it does always seem to bring a tear to my eye. Especially with everything that happened that week, it seemed extra emotional. Stevie dedicated it to Vincent again, whom she brought on stage last summer (talk about tears).

NGBA - I filmed it. Way too slow, kick it up to Rumours speed please.

Without You - This song has grown on me more than I thought it would. What was more surprising to me was how much the crowd seemed into it. Those voices seriously just melt together.

Gypsy - Why? Why? Why? Again. It doesn't work live, at least not this arrangement. I know they like to do it because Lindsey loves it, or at least thats what I think. She did twirl which is always fabulous. Its funny, a friend of ours after the show "Lindsey is pounding and hammering on the guitar, a genius really, and all Stevie has to do is twirl, A VERY SLOW TWIRL, and the place goes insane." This needs to go. Immediately. Gypsy, Sara or both. If they are not going to reinvent the arrangement, then they just need to go.

Eyes of the World - YAY! This was one of the better songs the band has done in the past 10 years. The arrangement works great. However, again, they *could* have done something different (Blue Letter). I still love it though.

GDW - Snooze. Over it.

So Afraid - Amazing guitar solo, the crowd went nuts. Its moments like this that make me wonder why his solo shows are so undersold. by the end of a Mac concert, you always have a converted crowd of Lindsey fans.

Stand Back - Love it. Never thought I would see Stand Back AND Sisters of the Moon in the same set.

Go Your Own Way - Played Lindseys guitar, per usual.

World Turning - More fun than I thought it would be. Lindsey sat down on the side of the stage, very little fan interaction though.

After the band intros, Mick said something about Don't Stop thinking about tomorrow and that this song was for us.

Silver Springs - GORGEOUS. I always forget how amazing this one is live.

As for the last song, they should Say Goodbye to it.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Well, i've had quite a bit of time to mull things over. I wasn't going to write a review this time. However, if I don't write some of this stuff down I will probably forget 85% of it.
Yes, it's good to write it down and have it for yourself a few years from now.

I never really thought that Stevie likes Tusk, but it has a lot of elements, not least of which is the horns and I like the way they use the video behind it this tour. It's a fun song, Lindsey running around doing that little up and down motion all over the stage. I remember the days when he and John and Christine would huddle together, dancing and playing. It was exhilarating.

I haven't watched videos, because I don't want to overdo, but I will be interested in seeing if Without You improves for me the next time I see it the way it has for you. Something to look forward to.

I wonder if Mick just started saying "Don't Stop thinking about tomorrow" at Boston. It's very fitting. Usually he would just say be good to each other -- which would also take on added poignance after the bombings.

Michele
Old 04-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Second Hand News - He played his solo right over my head!
I bet it sure felt nice.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really enjoyed reading your song-by-song review of the concert. I did something similar for my show at Madison Square Garden and wanted to respond to some of your points.

I too was expecting Second Hand News as the opener. I felt they would want to change it up from The Chain and Monday Morning, and Lindsey was using SHN as the key song to transition from his opening acoustic set to his backing band in his last tour. Definitely started strong.

While I don't think Dreams is that boring--the audience was very into it and it has to be played--I understand where you're coming from. It's one of the most obvious songs that misses Christine's presence, as her vocal was instrumental to the glorious sound of the chorus.

I agree with Not That Funny. At my concert, that song was the first moment when I could see people leave their seats to get concessions or go to the bathroom. In fact, maybe that began as soon as it was clear Lindsey was introducing Tusk songs. That song didn't do anything for me--after listening to the Tusk tour rehearsals on Youtube (which are a lot of fun...and Christine is playing guitar on a few songs ), I think I would've most wanted to hear What Makes You Think You're The One.

Yeah, Sisters of the Moon, it could be much more interesting and I felt it was a bit anticlimactic. Stevie's "Sisters" over the full-band chorus segments are growing on me, but I'm still unsure if I like that touch--it seems like a choice that speaks to the feel of her most recent solo work (not that that is necessarily a bad thing). I agree about Lindsey's guitar: it needs a stronger sound. The song just doesn't rock or reach that intense place they used to capture. I'd like to see it lengthened to include the cowbell break. But to stress, Stevie really went for the vocals; she impressed me...the band instrumental did not.

I actually think Sara is a solid transition to the acoustic segment of the show. So I didn't think it took the energy out of the set. I was most missing Lindsey's guitar part that he used to make more prominent, especially at the beginning (a la the Fleetwood Mac Live album version).

Big Love was staged very well, great design choice to highlight his guitar playing. I wish they would do this acoustic-style treatment to another song. To be honest, they really haven't done what Christine called "a new take on a very old song" since The Dance. What about an acoustic Gypsy? The audience really wants to hear that song and were very into it at MSG, but it did sound a little slow and of all the songs, I think that one makes it most obvious that Stevie is taking down the high notes, completely bypassing "Oh, and it lights up the night" (which the audience was singing when she was not). A new, revamped version could better accommodate her changes and not make it as obvious to the audience.

With Landslide, I think an interesting choice to engage the audience (everyone was singing this one) would be to actually lengthen it, for Stevie to start and then let the crowd sing the first verse. Then, she could of course go back and sing her part or come in. It'd be very fun to create this dynamic of audience singing, like Tina Turner would do on What's Love Got To Do With It or Beyonce more recently with Irreplaceable. I know Stevie's not one to change things up, but it could give her voice a brief break and really bring in the audience. Again, a somewhat fresh take on an old song. I'm convinced Lindsey and Stevie could pull of a ballad version of Little Lies that slows down the song, but then again the band really hasn't reworked any of their old songs in their performances since The Dance.

Without You didn't do much for me. I'm still waiting for Lindsey and Stevie to perform Crystal with Fleetwood Mac, especially when John has repeatedly said it's his favorite song.

I could've done without Eyes of the World. That's probably my last criticism of the set. I thought the background images were cheesy, and I would've preferred Bleed To Love Her, I Don't Want to Know, or Thrown Down. Interesting you mention Blue Letter--I really like that song, but I'm not convinced Lindsey would ever choose it now, since he didn't write it. Kind of like how I'm pretty sure Stevie will never go with Seven Wonders again, those songs may be seen as not really 'their' songs.

Very cool you got to play Lindsey's guitar!! It seems like Don't Stop really resonated with the Boston audience.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie talks to the audience about the Boston bombings.