Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default In My World vs. Where We Belong

Now for an interesting comparison. What's better: In My World or Where We Belong?

Recorded thirty years apart, they couldn't be more different.

But I believe with In My World we were ripped off. We were promised a duet album and the first single to drop is not only a Lindsey solo song but a MEDIOCRE Lindsey solo song.

Where We Belong on the other hand is a refreshing, surprising delight of a track. It IS a true duet, similar to I Don't Want to Know - with Linds and Chris sharing lead vocals. Yes Lindsey's vocal is more prominent in the mix but Christine's is very much present too. On In My World we can't hear Christine as well.

Let's face it, they had a ****load of songs according to Mick and they chose a mere ten, including a previously released solo song and In My World, a new song but very much a solo song.

It's like they weren't even trying.

Thoughts? Comparisons? Please share.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Now for an interesting comparison. What's better: In My World or Where We Belong?

Recorded thirty years apart, they couldn't be more different.

But I believe with In My World we were ripped off. We were promised a duet album and the first single to drop is not only a Lindsey solo song but a MEDIOCRE Lindsey solo song.

Where We Belong on the other hand is a refreshing, surprising delight of a track. It IS a true duet, similar to I Don't Want to Know - with Linds and Chris sharing lead vocals. Yes Lindsey's vocal is more prominent in the mix but Christine's is very much present too. On In My World we can't hear Christine as well.

Let's face it, they had a ****load of songs according to Mick and they chose a mere ten, including a previously released solo song and In My World, a new song but very much a solo song.

It's like they weren't even trying.

Thoughts? Comparisons? Please share.

How were you ripped off? If you bought the single you had an opportunity to listen to a snippet before hand. If you then decided to purchase it you spent the huge sum of a pound/dollar/Euro or two. I don't think anyone can honestly claim to have been ripped off. Nobody is forced to purchase music. As far as the album is concerned- if you don't think you'll like it...don't buy it.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-16-2017, 08:49 AM
Ledgie

Actually, I like both songs. Have started a playlist where they are both in it.
Also, I did the same comparison with In My World and Special Kind of Love which I included in the play list. Along with newer versions of songs from Mirage and Tango in the Night Deluxe Albums.

A faux Buckingham McVie at least until the Album comes out.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

I love Where We Belong, and it added to my sense of excitement for a forthcoming Buckingham McVie album. They made a decision to release this new album in a way that they've never done before, as a musical duo. Christine and Lindsey's collaborations have been one facet of Fleetwood Mac from 1975 to 1987, but now they have the opportunity to release an album where that collaboration can be the main focus.

When they started talking about this being a duet album, I was looking forward to hearing what would happen when they co-write together more extensively (more than their three co-writes on Tango In The Night), when they contribute to each other's songs in different ways (Christine adding lyrics to Lindsey's instrumentals, or vice versa), when they are harmonizing together vocally and playing together as musicians. I always like the sound of their voices together on songs like Hold Me, or even on a demo like Where We Belong. There's a spark in their work together that can now be expanded upon, on a full album (and tour).

Much of their new album might end up reflecting this, but In My World really doesn't. People on this forum can't reach a firm consensus on whether Christine is even on the song at all (I don't think she is on it). Which may be fine-- maybe there is a place for this song as an album track, maybe it makes sense in the context of the full album. But whether you call it a teaser or a single, In My World is the first taste people are getting of Buckingham McVie (and, since it's going into rotation on BBC2 and probably other stations, people who wouldn't otherwise be picking up the album will be hearing this as their taste of what Buckingham McVie, as a duo, is). Wouldn't they want to pick a song that introduces them as a duo, that says, "We're doing this as Lindsey and Christine now, and this is what we sound like together"?

Lindsey has done songs before where it's been him and Mick and John, on FM and solo albums. Stuff without Christine or Stevie on it. And he's done stuff where it's him speeding up his voice, etc. That approach can work in the context of certain albums, but this is the first single from two musicians who have never released an album as a duo before, who have never performed shows as a duo before, after many of years of working together within a band and doing solo projects. Now I want to hear Buckingham McVie. I want to hear what happens when Lindsey and Christine make music together (after thirty years since the last time they worked together on a full studio album), and release their first ever album as a duo. In My World isn't delivering that for me. I'm sure there are other songs on the album that will.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love the new single and I would have been thrilled if they saved Where we belong for the new record. That song should have been finished...it's GREAT!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Totally different songs. "In My World" is very good, and it's stronger than "Where We Belong." But "Where We Belong" is a true collaboration. I hear an organic partnership there that is absent on "In My World."
Old 04-18-2017, 11:52 AM
Ledgie

"In My World" is infinitely better - in fact, I consider it to be my favorite Lindsey chorus since the chorus to "In My Own Time" from Seeds We Sow. The song is nothing short of a pop miracle with a sparse arrangement and gorgeous production touches.

I am a huge Lindsey fan but never have trouble disliking and criticizing something when he misses the mark, in my estimation. However, this track is a pure gem and I've had it on repeat non-stop since its release at midnight Friday morning.

"We Belong Together" is a cute, sweet half-idea and an incomplete song.

One thing that IS correct though is the first single SHOULD HAVE been a song that features both vocalists prominently. THAT was a mistake.

However, the first single from TANGO IN THE NIGHT which was the Mac's big return after a 5-year absence featured no vocals from anybody other than Lindsey and it is arguable whether or not most of the drumming is actually Mick on "Big Love" as a lot of it is probably programmed - same goes for the bass.

We survived "Big Love" - we'll survive "In My World" ... plus, in my estimation: It's every bit as great.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalBegin View Post
"In My World" is infinitely better - in fact, I consider it to be my favorite Lindsey chorus since the chorus to "In My Own Time" from Seeds We Sow. The song is nothing short of a pop miracle with a sparse arrangement and gorgeous production touches.

I am a huge Lindsey fan but never have trouble disliking and criticizing something when he misses the mark, in my estimation. However, this track is a pure gem and I've had it on repeat non-stop since its release at midnight Friday morning.

"We Belong Together" is a cute, sweet half-idea and an incomplete song.

One thing that IS correct though is the first single SHOULD HAVE been a song that features both vocalists prominently. THAT was a mistake.

However, the first single from TANGO IN THE NIGHT which was the Mac's big return after a 5-year absence featured no vocals from anybody other than Lindsey and it is arguable whether or not most of the drumming is actually Mick on "Big Love" as a lot of it is probably programmed - same goes for the bass.

We survived "Big Love" - we'll survive "In My World" ... plus, in my estimation: It's every bit as great.
Agree with all of this!