Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Dancin' Across The USA

Can you tell by the heart that I LOVE this song? I wish Lindsey would release a GH album (after GOS of course!) and I wish this song were on it

Matt
Old 05-23-2002, 03:17 PM
SoulDrifter1949
This message has been deleted by SoulDrifter1949.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always liked that lyric you mentioned. It's such a catchy, sing-song-y kind of tune that the lyrics get overlooked. I think it's actually a lot more serious than it is light-hearted, but he disguises it well. There's lots of Lindsey's songs that are deceiving at first glance/listen in terms of his intent. But there will be one or two lines where he crystalizes a more serious message for a moment, and then lets it drift back out again into something a little more vague or humorous. It's a very interesting way to make a point. It sort of makes you feel like he's letting you in on some inner discussion with himself, without being overly self-conscious about it. It's like you're drifting into and out of the thoughts in his head in the real way that thoughts do just sort of drift in and drift back out in a continuous stream.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart Dancing Across the USA

Well, seeing how this song kinda has a country-ish flavor, and we all know country songs are very dark underneath, even the funny ones, I can see that. I LOVE this song, it fit the movie, just like Holiday Road did, and it's catchy and upbeat. It rocks!! When I first downloaded AG, I searched for those two songs, HAD to have em, cuz I don't have the NLV movie soundtrack. They need to re-release that on CD!!
Old 05-23-2002, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Dancin' With Lindsey!!!

Hi!
Wouldn't you just LOVE to Dance Across The USA
with handsome, funny, awesome Lindsey???
Dancin' and Holiday Road are so Countryfied!
Lindsey could certainly cross-over to Country!Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 05-23-2002, 11:08 PM

Default Great song, but what movie

I too, really like this song. But what movie is it from? And by the way, Les - very nice discussion.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Funny, classic 80's movie...

The songs are from National Lampoons Vacation with Chevy Chase, Randy Quaid, Anthony Michael Hall, Beverly D'Angelo and the late, great, John Candy! Great, funny, 1980's movie. It's a classic film!!
Old 05-24-2002, 09:02 AM

Default Didn't know that . . . thanks!

Thanks, Wondergirl. I knew about Holiday Road being from that movie (what a GREAT song!), but I didn't realize Dancin' Across the USA was in there. Makes sense, though, considering the title.

I'd better rent that one tonight. I could use a good laugh.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Love this song!

I love this song, too! This one of my top 10 Lindsey solo songs, and Holiday Road is my all-time favorite of his.

These two songs were not only the first solo Lindsey songs that I'd heard, they were the first in-any-way-FM-related songs I'd ever heard, and I adore them! At the time I didn't know who Fleetwood Mac was, or that Lindsey Buckingham was in Fleetwood Mac. I just knew I liked those songs!

HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Old 05-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like these two songs, and I'm glad they are featured so prominently in the movie. Whenever Vacation is on, I'll watch it just cuz!

I remember reading somewhere that Lindsey was apprached to do the theme song for Ghostbusters right after doing Dancin' and HR, and he turned it down.
Then, the suits just got somebody to write something that had that LB sound (yeah, right), and the result was that horrible Ray Parker, Jr. song!

I know Lindsey could have done something killer-rocking with that! I wonder what his reason for turning it down was?
Anybody ever heard? Did FM get in the way?

I think if he had really branched out into movie soundtracks he really could have received alot of critical acclaim and attention.
Who knows, because he seemd to have an affinity for it, and it would have made him learn to work against a deadline!

C'mon Linds! Drop date for the CD wanted! ASAP!
Old 05-24-2002, 12:17 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith
I remember reading somewhere that Lindsey was apprached to do the theme song for Ghostbusters right after doing Dancin' and HR, and he turned it down.
Then, the suits just got somebody to write something that had that LB sound (yeah, right), and the result was that horrible Ray Parker, Jr. song!

I know Lindsey could have done something killer-rocking with that! I wonder what his reason for turning it down was?
Anybody ever heard? Did FM get in the way?
Hey! I typed up what he said on the Words and Music CD about this...which I guess is the closest to knowing exactly why he didn't do the Ghostbusters song we're going to get.. I included what he said about Holiday Road right before it too...

Lindsey said:
"The 'Holiday Road' song for the movie vacation, we kind of put this thing down in the studio as a rough, and it was very rough compared to what it ended up being. We went up to the Warners offices, and they said, you know he was kinda 'oh.....well....ok let's go with it...ok.' You could tell he was not too sure about it. [laughs ] And then when we had worked on it and really gotten the melody out of it and got it down, he was really happy when he finally heard it. So, that was a nice situation that worked out very well. Ivan Reitman--I met not too much after that. He wanted me to try the Ghostbusters thing. But my attitude was 'well, you know, I don't want to get sort of loop-holed into this kinda thing. I mean, obviously we did it well once, I think, you know, at least for now, let's leave it at that.'"

Old 05-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks, Jessica for clearing that up.

I should have known, typical Lindesian response!
Old 05-24-2002, 01:35 PM
SoulDrifter1949
Old 05-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Jessica, YOU are INSANE! That's all that I have to say

Matt
Old 05-24-2002, 02:46 PM
SoulDrifter1949
Old 05-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Dancin Across The USA with Lindsey!

Hi Music Fans!

That quote by Lindsey sounds like he
gets bored and wants to move on to
the next thing! Been there Done that!

WAITING for MORE Lindsey MUSIC!
WAITING ON THE COUNTDOWN!!!
Things about to Turn Around!!!

LIDDY BUCK RULES THE MUSIC!!!

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 05-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Dancin' Cross the USA has always been on of my favorite songs. I couldn't find it anywhere since it was released on the NLV soundtrack, which has been out of print for years. I love the ending scene of the movie on the roller coaster, then the song comes on. I replayed it over and over just to listen to the tune. The song was recorded around the time he worked with John Stewart/Kingston Trio, as I think I had mentioned before. I am pretty sure some of the members are singing harmony on that song.
I never knew why he didn't do the Ghostbusters theme, which would certainly have given Go Insane a publicity boost.