The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:17 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,202
Default Mick Fleetwood on His Peter Green Tribute Show, Future Plans, and Lindsey Buckingham




JANUARY 28, 2020 11:56AM ET

Mick Fleetwood on His Peter Green Tribute Show, Future Plans, and Lindsey Buckingham

“Lindsey’s legacy is alive and well, and as it should be,” says the drummer. “It will never be taken away, and never be down-spoken by any of us.”


By ANDY GREENE

Mick Fleetwood should be relaxing. He just wrapped up a 13-month world tour — Fleetwood Mac’s first since parting ways with Lindsey Buckingham and replacing him with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House frontman Neil Finn — but the 72-year-old drummer is already deep into planning his next project: a tribute concert to Peter Green, who co-founded Fleetwood Mac and wrote many of the group’s early classics before being sidelined by mental illness and addiction issues. The show is set for February 25th in London, with special guests David Gilmour, Christine McVie, John Mayall, and Steven Tyler. “I wanted people to know that I did not form this band — Peter Green did,” Fleetwood says. “And I wanted to celebrate those early years of Fleetwood Mac, which started this massive ball that went down the road over the last 50 years.”

Peter Green hasn’t been seen much in public over the past decade. When is the last time that you and he spoke?
It was about a year and a half ago. I went out with my girlfriend, and spent the day with him. He’s not the Peter that I knew, clearly. But he plays acoustic guitar. He loves painting, and fishing is his hobby. It’s no secret that he took a left turn and never came back, but he’s OK. He also has really little or no ego at all, which is unbelievable. You want to go, “Do you realize what you did?” “No, no. Yeah, I suppose so.” He has no ego about what he did.

Might he perform at the show?
No. But it seems he’s going to come. He wants to keep a very, very low profile, and that’s fine. This is about the journey Peter took into the music, and that music is still alive. Everyone that’s on this show has their own poignant story about being connected to that early band.

Will John McVie be there?
Not as of the moment. He’s in the middle of one of his sailing trips. But Christine [McVie] will be there.

I loved hearing you guys play “Man of the World” on this past tour.
Neil Finn did a really good job on that. It’s a very prophetic song. It wasn’t exactly the last song [Peter] made with us. That was “The Green Manalishi.” When he made those songs, we had no idea that he was suffering internally as much as he was. But if you listen to the words, it’s crucifyingly obvious what was going on. But a beautiful song. A poignant song.

Peter was one of about 10 guitarists who have left the band over the years. Why can’t you and John ever hold onto guitarists?
We don’t really know. It’s daunting when you look at all the great guitarists that have come through our ranks. But John and I have always just kept the band going. We can’t do this on our own. Every time [someone leaves] we go, “Well, what the **** are we going to do now? Find another guitar player!”

I’ve heard there’s talk of a Fleetwood Mac Broadway musical.
There’s always been talk about doing something like that. I hope it can happen at some point. A lot of people, understandably, would say, “Wow, that would make a really good musical.” It is an incredibly interesting story, especially the period around Rumours. But it’s not formed.

How do you feel physically, after wrapping up that recent marathon tour?
It’s actually coming off the road that’s the downer. You find yourself wondering why you start to get antsy around 8 p.m. It’s this military-type of stress where you just keep going and going, so you have to be careful with how you work your re-entry so you don’t beat yourself up too much.

What are the future plans for the group? I’ve read that Stevie Nicks is preparing a long solo tour.
We had a lovely get-together in L.A. about two weeks ago after the tour. We are all very open to that continuing in the band. There’s no breaking up of the band. We were like, “Give us a break. Give us a few weeks before we start wondering what to do.” In the New Year, we’ll touch on what the vision is.

What is your vision for what that might be?
We’re not going to do a [long] tour, I would say, ever again. But there’s loads of alternatives. People like Peter Gabriel have a lovely way of working where they go and just do four or five major festivals during the summer. That’s the sort of vision that I see for Fleetwood Mac. We’re able to cherry-pick things that have dignity, and are fun to do, and they’re historically interesting.

A lot of bands are doing farewell tours now. Can you ever see Fleetwood Mac doing one of those?
I suppose. It would be the right thing to do, to let people know you’re not wanting to play again. We are not at that point, but if we get there, it’s a pretty good, gracious thing to let people know they’ll never see the band play again.

Do you see any scenario where you’d ever play with Lindsey Buckingham again?
No. Fleetwood Mac is a strange creature. We’re very, very committed to Neil and Mike, and that passed away a time ago, when Lindsey left. And it’s not a point of conversation, so I have to say no. It’s a full drama of Fleetwood Mac, no doubt. His legacy is alive and well, and as it should be. A major, major part that will never be taken away, and never be down-spoken by any of us. Neil and Mike have tremendous respect for Lindsey. The situation was no secret. We were not happy. It was not working, and we parted company. And that really is the all of it.

Have you spoken to Lindsey since his heart attack?
I have not.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:57 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
What are the future plans for the group? I’ve read that Stevie Nicks is preparing a long solo tour.
We had a lovely get-together in L.A. about two weeks ago after the tour. We are all very open to that continuing in the band. There’s no breaking up of the band. We were like, “Give us a break. Give us a few weeks before we start wondering what to do.” In the New Year, we’ll touch on what the vision is.
Sounds as if Mick were downplaying a Stevie Nicks solo tour year. Is it possible he talked Stevie into being available in 2020 for Fleetwood Mac?


Quote:
Do you see any scenario where you’d ever play with Lindsey Buckingham again?
No. Fleetwood Mac is a strange creature. We’re very, very committed to Neil and Mike, and that passed away a time ago, when Lindsey left. And it’s not a point of conversation, so I have to say no.
Somebody is peeved that he was sued.
__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2020, 02:33 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Sounds as if Mick were downplaying a Stevie Nicks solo tour year. Is it possible he talked Stevie into being available in 2020 for Fleetwood Mac?


Somebody is peeved that he was sued.
mick is always very vague and nondescript when it comes to things that are completely out of his control (read: in stevie's control), but he wants to keep people engaged just in case. he was like that on the FM music that ended being BuckVie for years. and, just read all his responses in this interview - including one on LB which is full of circular nonsense and not saying anything except making it clear their initial "he didn't want to tour" was bs excuse and yet again lying about "he left" which was their original pr idea that got blown to pieces when what they did leaked.

also, apparently Campbell said something while promoting his current tour (full text is in UK's Uncut) which is parallel to what mick said here:

"Campbell also reveals that Fleetwood Mac are currently on hiatus after their recent mammoth world tour. “It was a year and a half! I’ve never toured that long in my life. It was really joyful. Great songs, and I love that rhythm section – I had so much fun playing with Mick and John. We ended the tour and we had a meeting. They are all even older than me, and I’m pretty old, and they were saying, I don’t think we’re up for doing any more long tours like this ever again. Stevie wants to do a solo show, she’s doing that right now, but in a year or so, if a handful of dates show up that made sense, everybody is open to doing those. So we’re on hiatus until things develop.”
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2020, 03:28 PM
BigAl84's Avatar
BigAl84 BigAl84 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 847
Default

all of this proves that it really probably is for the best that Lindsey sued their collective arses and moved on. Even with him out of the equation, pushing to make some new music etc, they are still persistent on showing up to play a greatest hits set and call it a day.

The behavior hasn't changed, they will break for Stevie to do a really stale solo tour paired with whatever boomer rock act they can find to pair her up with and Fleetwood Mac will pop up to play some festival dates here and there with Mike and Neil on a retainer agreement.

But the prospect of doing anything remotely interesting again has proven to be a mute point with him or without him in the band. Buckingham McVie was the last hurrah.

I look forward to what Lindsey may have planned in the coming year or so.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2020, 03:53 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 2,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Sounds as if Mick were downplaying a Stevie Nicks solo tour year. Is it possible he talked Stevie into being available in 2020 for Fleetwood Mac?


Somebody is peeved that he was sued.
You are spot on!
Mick speaks politically and says stuff like "its possible" or other language but was firm with Lindsey ever playing again (even though Lindsey said he was open to it). He definitely is peeved.
So he has reduced the band for a few "important" gigs here or there or most importantly when Fin and Campbell are available LMAO.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2020, 06:38 PM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 802
Default

Didn't ask the obvious question: "You and Stevie said this current lineup would be doing recording in the studio. Was that ever seriously in the cards?"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2020, 06:51 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You are spot on!
Mick speaks politically and says stuff like "its possible" or other language but was firm with Lindsey ever playing again (even though Lindsey said he was open to it). He definitely is peeved.
So he has reduced the band for a few "important" gigs here or there or most importantly when Fin and Campbell are available LMAO.
Coz Stevie told him no. You know Mick is a total 'never say never' person. Stevie is not, especially regards Lindsey. He's saying it's not possible because that's what he must say to keep Stevie onboard.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2020, 06:53 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Coz Stevie told him no. You know Mick is a total 'never say never' person. Stevie is not, especially regards Lindsey. He's saying it's not possible because that's what he must say to keep Stevie onboard.
yup.

if he saw no chance of ever touring with Stevie again, he'd sing a different tune.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-28-2020, 06:58 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post



JANUARY 28, 2020 11:56AM ET

Mick Fleetwood on His Peter Green Tribute Show, Future Plans, and Lindsey Buckingham

“Lindsey’s legacy is alive and well, and as it should be,” says the drummer. “It will never be taken away, and never be down-spoken by any of us.”


By ANDY GREENE

Mick Fleetwood should be relaxing. He just wrapped up a 13-month world tour — Fleetwood Mac’s first since parting ways with Lindsey Buckingham and replacing him with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House frontman Neil Finn — but the 72-year-old drummer is already deep into planning his next project: a tribute concert to Peter Green, who co-founded Fleetwood Mac and wrote many of the group’s early classics before being sidelined by mental illness and addiction issues. The show is set for February 25th in London, with special guests David Gilmour, Christine McVie, John Mayall, and Steven Tyler. “I wanted people to know that I did not form this band — Peter Green did,” Fleetwood says. “And I wanted to celebrate those early years of Fleetwood Mac, which started this massive ball that went down the road over the last 50 years.”

Peter Green hasn’t been seen much in public over the past decade. When is the last time that you and he spoke?
It was about a year and a half ago. I went out with my girlfriend, and spent the day with him. He’s not the Peter that I knew, clearly. But he plays acoustic guitar. He loves painting, and fishing is his hobby. It’s no secret that he took a left turn and never came back, but he’s OK. He also has really little or no ego at all, which is unbelievable. You want to go, “Do you realize what you did?” “No, no. Yeah, I suppose so.” He has no ego about what he did.

Might he perform at the show?
No. But it seems he’s going to come. He wants to keep a very, very low profile, and that’s fine. This is about the journey Peter took into the music, and that music is still alive. Everyone that’s on this show has their own poignant story about being connected to that early band.

Will John McVie be there?
Not as of the moment. He’s in the middle of one of his sailing trips. But Christine [McVie] will be there.

I loved hearing you guys play “Man of the World” on this past tour.
Neil Finn did a really good job on that. It’s a very prophetic song. It wasn’t exactly the last song [Peter] made with us. That was “The Green Manalishi.” When he made those songs, we had no idea that he was suffering internally as much as he was. But if you listen to the words, it’s crucifyingly obvious what was going on. But a beautiful song. A poignant song.

Peter was one of about 10 guitarists who have left the band over the years. Why can’t you and John ever hold onto guitarists?
We don’t really know. It’s daunting when you look at all the great guitarists that have come through our ranks. But John and I have always just kept the band going. We can’t do this on our own. Every time [someone leaves] we go, “Well, what the **** are we going to do now? Find another guitar player!”

I’ve heard there’s talk of a Fleetwood Mac Broadway musical.
There’s always been talk about doing something like that. I hope it can happen at some point. A lot of people, understandably, would say, “Wow, that would make a really good musical.” It is an incredibly interesting story, especially the period around Rumours. But it’s not formed.

How do you feel physically, after wrapping up that recent marathon tour?
It’s actually coming off the road that’s the downer. You find yourself wondering why you start to get antsy around 8 p.m. It’s this military-type of stress where you just keep going and going, so you have to be careful with how you work your re-entry so you don’t beat yourself up too much.

What are the future plans for the group? I’ve read that Stevie Nicks is preparing a long solo tour.
We had a lovely get-together in L.A. about two weeks ago after the tour. We are all very open to that continuing in the band. There’s no breaking up of the band. We were like, “Give us a break. Give us a few weeks before we start wondering what to do.” In the New Year, we’ll touch on what the vision is.

What is your vision for what that might be?
We’re not going to do a [long] tour, I would say, ever again. But there’s loads of alternatives. People like Peter Gabriel have a lovely way of working where they go and just do four or five major festivals during the summer. That’s the sort of vision that I see for Fleetwood Mac. We’re able to cherry-pick things that have dignity, and are fun to do, and they’re historically interesting.

A lot of bands are doing farewell tours now. Can you ever see Fleetwood Mac doing one of those?
I suppose. It would be the right thing to do, to let people know you’re not wanting to play again. We are not at that point, but if we get there, it’s a pretty good, gracious thing to let people know they’ll never see the band play again.

Do you see any scenario where you’d ever play with Lindsey Buckingham again?
No. Fleetwood Mac is a strange creature. We’re very, very committed to Neil and Mike, and that passed away a time ago, when Lindsey left. And it’s not a point of conversation, so I have to say no. It’s a full drama of Fleetwood Mac, no doubt. His legacy is alive and well, and as it should be. A major, major part that will never be taken away, and never be down-spoken by any of us. Neil and Mike have tremendous respect for Lindsey. The situation was no secret. We were not happy. It was not working, and we parted company. And that really is the all of it.

Have you spoken to Lindsey since his heart attack?
I have not.



So you're not ever going to do a big tour again, just cherry picking festivals etc. But then if the band is ever "done" you'll do a farewell tour. How does that square up? A small, intimate farewell tour?

And not speaking to LB... well, well. part of me thinks he wouldn't be able to keep it from Stevie and he's paranoid she'll get mad at him. You know if he spoke to LB Lindsey would let it be known. Mick can't risk it. But the other part of it is possibly what others have said.... he's pissed they got sued. Mick doesn't like giving money away. And he's cast his lot with Stevie and he's fine with that. ka-ching. Still a total dick move.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-28-2020, 07:22 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 4,028
Default

ugh..every time that this creepy grifter opens his mouth lately it makes my skin crawl.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-28-2020, 08:06 PM
BigAl84's Avatar
BigAl84 BigAl84 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 847
Default

They have already refused to do Glastonbury twice due to money, I don’t even quite understand how this odd reformation would be that big of a draw for festivals.

They truly are, as human beings, ungrateful pieces of garbage.

Integrity and love are two words that should never come out of their ignorant, collective mouths.

And Christine.....really?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-28-2020, 11:42 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
[/B]


So you're not ever going to do a big tour again, just cherry picking festivals etc. But then if the band is ever "done" you'll do a farewell tour. How does that square up? A small, intimate farewell tour?

And not speaking to LB... well, well. part of me thinks he wouldn't be able to keep it from Stevie and he's paranoid she'll get mad at him. You know if he spoke to LB Lindsey would let it be known. Mick can't risk it. But the other part of it is possibly what others have said.... he's pissed they got sued. Mick doesn't like giving money away. And he's cast his lot with Stevie and he's fine with that. ka-ching. Still a total dick move.
Lindsey hasn’t been doing much talking (figuratively and literally) for a while now so I doubt that was the issue. Mick and all the rest of them just aren’t great people and likely never were. This says a lot in my opinion. There is a lot that can happen between coworkers and then there’s rational human behavior when someone you knew for decades nearly dies.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-29-2020, 10:08 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,185
Default

If you really look at this interview, the interviewer was able to make Mick admit he was a liar without saying the word, "liar".

Great read for those that need confirmation of what really went down. Had nothing to do with touring, or LB solo shows. It had everything to do with $tevie wanting him out and wanting control of the band, and using Mick to do get her that control.

Will LB ever play with Fleetwoood M.........errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr $tevie Nicks band?

No, $tevie will not allow it. And $he'll refuse to tour if I were to ask him. And that would leave us without the $$ we would be asking if we were doing a few tour dates in 2020/2021.



^^^^ I translated for you guys.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-29-2020, 10:10 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
. It had everything to do with $tevie wanting him out and wanting control of the band, and using Mick to do get her that control.
.
Control of the band? That was the actual reason? It sounds really an excuse to me. Or a consequence instead of a cause. I mean, there was always the suspect that since Bella Donna she seemed to have more interest in her solo career than in being in the band. Mirage tour was very short, among her two solo albums. She arrived just at the end of the Tango recording sessions (yes, after rehab, but anyway I think she prioritized more her solo career). Did she want to take control of the album recording sessions? Of the past tours? I never heard that.

And all of the sudden she wants to take control of Fleetwood Mac? I don't get it. I still think there were more things that we don't know. And I don't mean she is innocent. I just think that's not the whole or main reason.
__________________

Last edited by Villavic; 01-29-2020 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-30-2020, 08:50 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Control of the band? That was the actual reason? It sounds really an excuse to me. Or a consequence instead of a cause. I mean, there was always the suspect that since Bella Donna she seemed to have more interest in her solo career than in being in the band. Mirage tour was very short, among her two solo albums. She arrived just at the end of the Tango recording sessions (yes, after rehab, but anyway I think she prioritized more her solo career). Did she want to take control of the album recording sessions? Of the past tours? I never heard that.

And all of the sudden she wants to take control of Fleetwood Mac? I don't get it. I still think there were more things that we don't know. And I don't mean she is innocent. I just think that's not the whole or main reason.
Let me summarize it for you: $he wanted him out because $he is full of hate and jealousy. So, $he took control of the band with her $tarpower to oust him. We can speculate all we want for reasons. But, the truth is finally coming out. It wasn't due to touring or business conflicts, the lies that $he originally $pewed. It was because $he wanted to be happy with her entourage (people $he can control) Happy calling the $hots.

Mick, John, Christine would have been more than happy touring w/ Lindsey again. $tevie used her starpower to hold a gun to their head.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 01-30-2020 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$49.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER pictureFLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE
$29.0
FLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE pictureFLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE POSE
$29.0
FLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE POSE pictureWire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Wire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picturePress Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Press Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved