Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Ledgie

Default Your guess on why Stevies Solo careeer eclipsed lindsey and Christines

what do you think the reasoning behind her larger success out of the band over Christine and Lindsey is?
Old 05-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Ledgie

She had the most sex appeal and charisma of any of the group, and she worked the hardest at it. Christine is a solid singer and writer but she's not a spellbinding performer, and she was usually content to just work within the band. And Lindsey's albums were too eccentric for mass success, plus he takes so long to make them. Stevie is also a strong, distinctive and prolific songwriter. It's actually amazing she stayed with Fleetwood Mac considering the situation with Lindsey and the small number of songs she was allowed on each record. I think it's because she knew that no matter how successful her solo records were, she always sounded the best with Lindsey arranging her material.

Last edited by squealy; 05-04-2003 at 08:53 PM..
Old 05-04-2003, 09:04 PM

It's like people slowing down on the highway to watch a car wreck.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Stevie is a complete dichotomy in that her music is all about the ethereal, as is her image while she also appears to be very human and real and approachable. I don't sense that from Lindsey or Chris. Chris wants nothing to do with the spotlight. She considers herself a solid player. Lindsey is an eccentric genius and seems to be a loner. While both Lindsey and Chris's music is appealing, it doesn't reach people on the same level as Stevie's.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
It's like people slowing down on the highway to watch a car wreck.
Ahaha! Thanks for laugh, Carne!
Yeah, Squealy summed it up spot on. My first thoughts were just simply that Stevie wanted to be a musical celeb, and Lindsey/Christine wanted to be musicians.
Oh, Stevie's songs are her 'children' ... You might even say she has lived vicariously through her own songwriting/performing career.. but I'm not sure that even makes sense actually :P
Old 05-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I once read a theory that went something like this: Stevie was the woman that other women wanted to be, and that men wanted to be with!
Old 05-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Could it simply be because Stevie wanted it more? Christine, by her own admission, preferred to be part of a band- not the lead singer --hence just one solo album and tour. Christine has her strengths, but as a solo performer, she's fairly bland.

Lindsey is just a completely insane studio junkie. Releasing albums seems to not to be as important to him as just noodling around. Plus, now it is evident from what he has been saying, that record companies are not that interested in him as a solo artist (i.e. because he doesn't have the broad commercial appeal).
Old 05-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why do these questions exsist? I think its totally obvious. Stevie is a woman--she is gorgeous--she has good music.

Not to say Lindsey and Christine aren't but not in the degree of Stevie. She had the total package more than those two. She had this spark...and a definite look.

There is no question..she was born to be a star. That's all. Christine and Lindsey are stars in their own rights too.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

To put it simply, Stevie just wanted it more. Christine and Lindsey's albums were more to get their music out and maybe get heard. Stevie wanted the spotlight and the attention and was willing to work for it. Christine and Lindsey did that only when they felt like it because it wasn't necessary to their well-being as musicians.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

the answer to this question is as simple as possible: her solo stuff was good, the others' solo stuff sucked.
mick: his solo albums' highlights were when lindsey jumped on board.
john: honestly- i didn't even bother checking.
christine: although her debut album was great, her 1984 solo was lame, uninteresting and dull, it had nothing to add to her FM efforts, instead- it was just a pale copy of them.
lindsey: okay, i guess so you could call OOTC "strange" and Go Insane "not his greatest work" but gimme a break, Law & Order is a total waste of plastic material (which as you all know, is enviromenytally harmful)
stevie: she joined hands with jimmy iovine, the man who became the best producer she ever worked with (a common mistake claims lindsey was the one, he wasn't.) Bella Donna extended her FM persona and succesfuly proclaimed her spot as a solo artist who's got her own unique and distinctive voice apart from the combo.
let me make it even more simple; take their most succesful singles: lindsey's Trouble, christine's Got A Hold On Me, and stevie's Stand Back. compare the three. who wins?

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Squealy, you put it very well.

I don't think Stevie is the greatest songwriter alive or dead, the most beautiful woman, or the greatest singer. She has said as much herself. However, she has a magnetic aura about her, and her talents and looks are unique. She can walk onto a stage or into a small room - and she has an effect on people. Charisma ? Magnetism ? I can't explain it. But it's hard to deny.

The music - I think people connect with it on an almost inexplicable emotional level. She inspires very passionate feelings in people. On both ends of the spectrum.

Lindsey and Christine are both remarkable musicians and artists. No doubt about it. I think their music has touched people and truly changed their lives. They would have succeeded no matter what.

Stevie though, has something else. She's a star, a show, a frontwoman. The record people picked her out right off as the focal point in the group - and they were right. The record companies believed it to be true, she was willing to be in the spotlight, and the machine went into motion.

If we knew what it was that made some people stars and others not - we could bottle it and make a million.

Nonetheless, people know it when they see it.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by tommer

let me make it even more simple; take their most succesful singles: lindsey's Trouble, christine's Got A Hold On Me, and stevie's Stand Back. compare the three. who wins?
Well if you mean sales of singles, it was Stevie's I'm assuming. But I've gotta say I much prefer the other two, especially Trouble.
Christine's material for the eponymous 1984 album was 'not lame' and was easily as good as or better than much of her FM stuff... but the production was straight out of a cereal packet, that's for sure. Had that material been on an FM album, it would be gold, and it still is to me regardless (especially compared to her FM stuff around Tusk and Mirage).
Old 05-05-2003, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"but the production was straight out of a cereal packet" Which begs the question why would someone who had written and performed some of the biggest hits from one of the biggest bands in the world put out such a lamely produced LP not to mention the tacky low budget vidieos that went with it.Christine's make up in "Love Will Show us How' looked like it came out of a $1.49 Halloween makeup kit and was applied by Boy George's makeup artist.

Old 05-05-2003, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

yeap, i can't recall where exactly did i read this review of her album, but i remember it said "christine mcvie used to be a decent blues singer, today she's just a stevie nicks without her hairdressers"
and to DownOnRodeo, i meant quality wise, if you really think Trouble and GAHOM are satnd-back-classed in some way or another, i'll just laugh quietly and leave you to it. both of these songs are as classy and sophisticated as their videos are.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!

Last edited by tommer; 05-05-2003 at 03:03 AM..
Old 05-05-2003, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is more of a "people"person than the other two. She is also more of an actress. Think about it. Can you see Christine whirling around like Stevie does when she does Rhiannon? She almost acts her songs. She also reaches out to the audience in a way the others don't. In fact, I think they depend on her to do that part for them=:-)Lindsey and Chris both strike me as kind of shy.

It's also what she wanted - she says "I want to be a star" in the demo to Sara. It was a goal for her and she worked for it. She was single-minded in pursuit of it. Lindsey and Chris wanted to be musicians first and foremost.

Something that's interesting to consider about the group: how many are first-borns in their family? I think only Stevie is, maybe John. All the others have older sibs, even if it's only a half-sib. First-borns are more achievement oriented according to all the books on this subject. Certainly it holds true for Stevie.

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN