User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
btw, remember the tour was not called The Dance tour, but the Reunion tour, though everybody recall it as The Dance toour).
I didn't know that.

Michele
Old 06-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbbyStew86 View Post
i think the change in guitar during Tango is the biggest reason for the different sound. just watch the Chain video from that concert series and compare it to the Mirage Chain vid and see the difference. IMO they utterly lamed out. Rick and Billy did seem to bring in a laid back type soft rock style.

on a side note, does anyone out there have an MP3 of the GYOW from the Mirage concert that was turned into the tape? Ive heard its spectacular and I would love to hear it. I have SOTM, Rhiannon and The Chain. Does anyone have anything else!?!!? HELPPPPP!
I totally agree an it's nothing against Rick and Billy personally. The sound was just so unbelievably different and low key. The Chain is the best example (Tango VHS versus Mirage VHS)...Lindsey had such a manic solo and the vocals were scorching during that entire song in 1982. By 1987, the band was playing note-for-note and everything was "perfect." They just seemed to lose a lot of punch. Lindsey's departure is certainly a factor, the then-new mini-Mac is obviously a factor, Stevie/Klonopin, and so on. I guess like all incarnations of the band, they were just totally different from their former selves.

Jbby - I have that GYOW mp3...shoot me a PM with your address and I will email to you.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I didn't know that.

Michele
Oh yes I bought 3 t-shirts from that tour (NYC), one has the The Dance cover album, but all of them said "The Reunion tour" with the cities list
Old 06-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I totally agree an it's nothing against Rick and Billy personally. The sound was just so unbelievably different and low key. The Chain is the best example (Tango VHS versus Mirage VHS)...Lindsey had such a manic solo and the vocals were scorching during that entire song in 1982.
I defy anyone to listen to Rick on THE CHAIN from both 1987 & 1990 & to tell me, without knowing beforehand, which audio is from which tour.

Rick has excellent chops & a lot of soul, guitarists tell me, but over the nearly two years he was on the road with Mac, his playing never evolved. You can pick any live song on which he's prominent from the first few weeks of his tenure with the band, & then pick the same song toward the end of the last tour he did with the band, & you can't hear a difference in the extemporaneous aspect of the playing. It's uncanny! It's akin to listening to Stevie Nicks sing live these days. (Can anyone really tell the difference between a STAND BACK from 2005 & one from 2008?)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I defy anyone to listen to Rick on THE CHAIN from both 1987 & 1990 & to tell me, without knowing beforehand, which audio is from which tour.

Rick has excellent chops & a lot of soul, guitarists tell me, but over the nearly two years he was on the road with Mac, his playing never evolved. You can pick any live song on which he's prominent from the first few weeks of his tenure with the band, & then pick the same song toward the end of the last tour he did with the band, & you can't hear a difference in the extemporaneous aspect of the playing. It's uncanny! It's akin to listening to Stevie Nicks sing live these days. (Can anyone really tell the difference between a STAND BACK from 2005 & one from 2008?)
Sadly, yes. The 2005 version was better, Brett Tuggle gave it away.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=David;759838]I defy anyone to listen to Rick on THE CHAIN from both 1987 & 1990 & to tell me, without knowing beforehand, which audio is from which tour. QUOTE]

Totally agreed. There is no difference at all. Same for Billy's vocals on Go Your Own Way. The passion is lacking altogether. I never have gotten on board with the love fest that some have for the "new" non-Lindsey versions of GYOW. The bland vocals and anthem like arrangement and solo take away from the raw emotion that the song should bring out. And I can't buy that only Lindsey can sing those lyrics with emotion....I mean, who hasn't had an ex they wanted to tell off?

Of course, in the later years, Lindsey has done his own version of blanding down the vocals on GYOW....but that's another story.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[ The passion is lacking altogether. I never have gotten on board with the love fest that some have for the "new" non-Lindsey versions of GYOW. The bland vocals and anthem like arrangement and solo take away from the raw emotion that the song should bring out.
The worst culprit has got to be Wilson Phillips. Their performance is so sweet and sing-songy they might as well be saying, "You can have iced tea today. Have ice tea your way." If Lindsey had sung it frothy and pleasant like that, Stevie would have been flattered by the shackin' up line.

Michele
Old 06-19-2008, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was at the forum the nights they taped the Mirage shows for Showtime ..any number of Tusk tour shows blows those performances away ..I'll go with my first FM show ever Dec 1979 at the San Diego Sports Arena and that version of SOTM ..no speaking in tongues but still intense.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Hard to find one song that "represents Fleetwood Mac", since we have 3 songwriters and singers (just to mention the Rumours lineup). And that's why Fleetwood Mac is my favorite band. Their complexity and variety.

So If I look for a song where the 3 of them are "equally" involved, it would be The Chain. Cause thinking in Rhiannon or GYOW doesn't show Christine at her "zenith". So The Chain is the most "band" song..

now the "zenith concert performance" in terms of a whole show could be any from the Rumours-Tusk era, in my opinion, followed by the Reunion Tour

btw, remember the tour was not called The Dance tour, but the Reunion tour, though everybody recall it as The Dance tour).
I disagree with the way you're looking at it. It doesn't have to be a song where everyone is equally involved, because the reality of the band is each member doesn't get equal spotlight time, even while playing their own songs. Each of the 3 songwriters played their own totally different role within the band. Even when they were performing Christine's songs, she was hidden behind her keyboards, and wasn't a stand out showman... that was just her style and stage presence. You would think Lindsey would trump Stevie in the showman category because he not only runs around and sings, but he also plays hard driving guitar. At the same time, he and Stevie's showmanship is pretty equal because of Stevie's crazy outfits and dancing around.

I feel that the Sisters Of The Moon from the Mirage concert captures each member doing what they do the best. Lindsey's hard driving guitar riffs battle it out with Stevie's take no prisoner vocals. Lindsey shares vocals by singing a verse too. Mick certainly plays up his role by having beer dumped down his throat and looking crazed in general. Christine looks sexy, drunk, and jolly as ever... all while backing the band up with her flawless keyboards. John stays in the shadows as always, but really brings the house down with his bass riffs. I feel personally that this one song performance totally captures every single person doing what they do the best. If you could tie up everything that the Rumours era Mac was in a neat little package, this performance is it (for ME at least!)
Old 06-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd have to say August 29, 1977 at the GW Forum was the peak for me as far as the "whole show". Everything after that was on the downward slide...they'd have 4 or 5 song stretches of grandeur here & there during subsequent tours, but that "Hot August Night" was the peak for me.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Even when they were performing Christine's songs, she was hidden behind her keyboards, and wasn't a stand out showman... that was just her style and stage presence.
This makes perfect sense. I mean, "Don't Stop" is Chris' song but I would think based on the live performances, many casual fans and newbies would think it was Lindsey's.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The worst culprit has got to be Wilson Phillips. Their performance is so sweet and sing-songy they might as well be saying, "You can have iced tea today. Have ice tea your way." If Lindsey had sung it frothy and pleasant like that, Stevie would have been flattered by the shackin' up line.

Michele
LOL...that's awesome. I absolutely loathe that Wilson Phillips recording. I am always amazed at covers of Go Your Own Way and the difficulty so many have with achieving the proper balance of tone/emotion in the vocals. I'm certainly not a singer so I have no room to talk but I guess if I was I would not cover a song if I couldn't sing it in a way that did the original some justice.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This makes perfect sense. I mean, "Don't Stop" is Chris' song but I would think based on the live performances, many casual fans and newbies would think it was Lindsey's.
Perhaps less so for DON'T STOP than most of her other songs because she was always seated at the grand piano for DON'T STOP, & she kept the lid all the way down so when you were watching the song in person, you could generally see Chris quite well.

In the old days, she was more hidden while standing because the Hammond was in its original case & she generally had two keyboards above it. But when she got the Hammond recased in a smaller console (in time for the 1977 tour), she was a little more visible from the audience.

She was fairly nicely visible from 1977 on, once she cut the number of instruments back. Certainly more so than Mick.

Christine's biggest visibility problem was always that the stupid cameramen ignored her.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The answer to this was actually really easy for me. No song showcases every danmed member of Fleetwood Mac all at their "Zeniths" like a REALLY GOOD live Rhiannon from 1975-1980. And I mean really good. Midnight Special don;t cut it for me. There's about a 7-10 way tie that do cut it for me. Almost any of the Tusk bootlegs I have are included. But so is Largo 75, and a few from 77 and 78. Just you have the obvious Stevie at her Witchy Vocal Exorcism Zeneth. Lindsey's had many guitar Zeneths but you cna't argue that his Rhiannon solos have to be some of his best. Not just the solos, the slow build up to Stevie's finish have some of his most psechadelic licks ever. And speaking of the slow build up, did someone say Christine's finest playing ever. Her danmed piano playign is the freaking glue that throws the song into outer space, then Stevie lets out that wail before the dreams unwind part that throws it past outer space into the after life, but first is that hypnotic piano. And Mick and John are all over the song with awseome drumming and bass. SOTM may have temporarily borrowed the title for a milisecond, but Fleetwood Mac performing Rhiannon from 1975-1980 is their Zeneth.

Green Manalishi Live comes close, but there's not enough of a Chis showcase.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
And speaking of the slow build up, did someone say Christine's finest playing ever.
I certainly didn't say it, nor would I ever.

Quote:
Her danmed piano playign is the freaking glue that throws the song into outer space, then Stevie lets out that wail before the dreams unwind part that throws it past outer space into the after life, but first is that hypnotic piano.
So why your exclusion of the Midnight Special performance? Her board work on that one is no different from that of these other 1975-1976 performances you mention, & it's a lot more audible, to boot.

moviekinks.blogspot.com