User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow In The Meatime turns 13

In a few weeks will mark the 13th year since we got the surprise Christine McVie solo album In the Meantime. I don't recall how I found out Christine did a solo album but I was so excited and shocked. I ran down to my local record store (they still existed in 2004), Specs Music, South Beach.
I liked the album at first listen but it grew on me so much over time. I must say many of the songs on the album are better than anything on Buckingham/McVie. There was no pressure on Christine and she had so much time to go over each song. Some of the songs have such layers that really shows how much time she spent on developing this album. In 2014 she sort of knocked her album saying "There are some good songs on it but I went about it the wrong way." I wish there was a follow up. What did she mean she went about it the wrong way? I just picture her and her nephew in her huge home working on these songs.
Some highlights, Friend, You Are, Northern Star, and my all time favorite Bad Journey. Its autobiographical and I want to ask her questions about the song. I think the song has the best bridge of any song she has recorded. It just gives me goosebumps. So many subtle arrangement changes in the song.
Question and poll: Which do you think is the better solo album her 1984 album or 2004? I cant decide. Although I would probably favor her 1984 release just a tad. Each is so amazing and holds up so good. All I can say is thank goodness she did this album!!!!

My favorite Bad Journey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EaSHUYwO1U

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-21-2017 at 05:00 PM..
Old 08-22-2017, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OH, I clearly remember this album coming out, the announcement for its imminent release was so casual. We waited about a year and voila it was there, no drama or fanfare.

I fell in love the with the music immediately. For me, this album is far superior to the blander features of her 1984 release. The difference is her nephew, Dan Perfect, who functioned as an effective collaborator and studio wizard. Also, Christine's songwriting and singing were in top form here.

My only complaint is that some of the songs have too many repetitions and could be about 30-60 seconds shorter. I'm thinking of "Liar," which is a great tune with one too many repeats of the chorus. But the last three songs in particular are remarkably concise and perfectly arranged.

There are a number of great blues/R-n-B moments here. "Bad Journey,""Forgiveness," and "Anything is Possible" are so cool!

But the best tune is not on the album--the acoustic version of "Friend."

ITM is my favorite Mac solo album behind no other except Out of the Cradle.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
OH, I clearly remember this album coming out, the announcement for its imminent release was so casual. We waited about a year and voila it was there, no drama or fanfare.

I fell in love the with the music immediately. For me, this album is far superior to the blander features of her 1984 release. The difference is her nephew, Dan Perfect, who functioned as an effective collaborator and studio wizard. Also, Christine's songwriting and singing were in top form here.

My only complaint is that some of the songs have too many repetitions and could be about 30-60 seconds shorter. I'm thinking of "Liar," which is a great tune with one too many repeats of the chorus. But the last three songs in particular are remarkably concise and perfectly arranged.

There are a number of great blues/R-n-B moments here. "Bad Journey,""Forgiveness," and "Anything is Possible" are so cool!

But the best tune is not on the album--the acoustic version of "Friend."

ITM is my favorite Mac solo album behind no other except Out of the Cradle.
That's definitely some fair criticism of some of the songs. I agree.
I have had the Buckingham/McVie CD in my car ever since it came out and listen to it everytime I drive. I just listened to some of In The Meantime again recently and it blew me away (yet again) how good some of the songs are. She is on top of her game. I wish she would have promoted it but even if she had, I don't think she would have toured. I would love to hear some of these songs live.
Most of this album is superb. However, I think Ask Anybody and The smile I live for are some of Christine's best songs ever. I also think Love Will Show Us How is a great sing along to open the album. The Challenge and One in a Million are top notch too. So its really impossible for me to pick a favorite. But her voice on In the Meantime I think is some of her best singing ever.
Bonus factor: We get 2 angry bitter Christine songs on one album. How rare and to get 2 of them: Liar and Bad Journey
Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile I Live For and One In a Million are incredible tunes. Ask Anybody is my third favorite from the 1984 record.

But ITM just has it over that album as a whole. I love the vibe, the alternating wistfulness and ire. I still listen to it a lot and wish it were still on iTunes.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Smile I Live For and One In a Million are incredible tunes. Ask Anybody is my third favorite from the 1984 record.

But ITM just has it over that album as a whole. I love the vibe, the alternating wistfulness and ire. I still listen to it a lot and wish it were still on iTunes.
Once again I 100% agree with you. ITM does have a total and consistent feel. I suppose the no pressure and no time limit to work on each song at her house led to this effect. I love 1984 but the Todd Sharpe effect has a different feel at times. I like it but sometimes wonder what it would have been like it Christine wrote all the songs herself.
Each is a wonderful piece of work. Thankfully Chris did not embrace the synth pop sounds of the mid 80s which is why her album holds up. I love the fact that she worked with the same drummer and bass player on ITM as on her 1984 album
Old 08-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Once again I 100% agree with you. ITM does have a total and consistent feel. I suppose the no pressure and no time limit to work on each song at her house led to this effect. I love 1984 but the Todd Sharpe effect has a different feel at times. I like it but sometimes wonder what it would have been like it Christine wrote all the songs herself.
Each is a wonderful piece of work. Thankfully Chris did not embrace the synth pop sounds of the mid 80s which is why her album holds up. I love the fact that she worked with the same drummer and bass player on ITM as on her 1984 album
she didn't write all the songs on ITM herself either. She cowrote most of the songs-- with people like George Hawkins, her nephew Dan Perfect, her ex Eddy Quintela, Robbie Patton is even in the mix along with Billy Burnette. Some songs were written only by Dan Perfect. She's only got 1 solo writing credit on the whole thing (You Are).
Old 08-24-2017, 12:10 PM

She also helped produce the album.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
She also helped produce the album.
Yes. Contrary to what Lindsey suggests, Christine does not NEED him to help her with songs. She allows him to participate in the shaping of her material. She loves collaboration.

I really dig the direction she went in with ITM. She let her blues origins surface, as well as her folk sensibilities--both within the context of radio-friendly music, even if radio was pretty much dead by then. But I still hear Friend on the radio in certain stores.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Both albums are great, but I love 'In the Meantime' more. It is intimate and personal, as if Chris and her band are playing in your living room, without concern about commercial success, with Chris singing from her heart. The 1984 album sounds more muscular and I think impersonal, as if they were going for hits, as if they were trying to sell copies, as if they were playing to thousands of people in an arena.

"Calumny" is one of Christine's greatest vocals ever.

I think I first heard about the album when I discovered the old Christine McVie website. We had a very friendly message board there, with just us Chris fans sitting around drinking tea and chatting amicably about music.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Both albums are great, but I love 'In the Meantime' more. It is intimate and personal, as if Chris and her band are playing in your living room, without concern about commercial success, with Chris singing from her heart. The 1984 album sounds more muscular and I think impersonal, as if they were going for hits, as if they were trying to sell copies, as if they were playing to thousands of people in an arena.

"Calumny" is one of Christine's greatest vocals ever.

I think I first heard about the album when I discovered the old Christine McVie website. We had a very friendly message board there, with just us Chris fans sitting around drinking tea and chatting amicably about music.
agree about the whole vibe of this album being intimate and personal. I'm less a fan of the George Hawkins co-writes, but love the opening run of Friend, You Are, Northern Star and Bad Journey. I can skip Anything is Possible but Calumny is fantastic and I like So Sincere... I want to know who is this man in the funny little white car with the broken light who never could be right for me........

Something about that song feels so appropriate to me going into this time of year.... I grew up in the Northeast with very distinct seasons, and that song reminds me of early autumn, when the days get shorter and a chill starts to creep into the air... the song makes me feel like it's Sunday evening around dusk, the sky is getting darker and the windows of the houses have that yellow glow of the lights turned on.

After that I kinda of tune most of the remaining songs out.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The word I am going to use for 'In the Meantime' is authentic. I'll go with commercial for the 1984 album.

That doesn't mean I don't like the 1984 album. I love it! "One in a Million" is one of my favorite songs, ever, by anyone.

But the whole LP doesn't have the immediacy of 'In the Meantime.'

Didn't someone post once that Chris had had a short-lived romance during those years in England (with a schoolteacher) and that was what inspired ITM? Or am I just imagining that?
Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
The word I am going to use for 'In the Meantime' is authentic. I'll go with commercial for the 1984 album.

That doesn't mean I don't like the 1984 album. I love it! "One in a Million" is one of my favorite songs, ever, by anyone.

Didn't someone post once that Chris had had a short-lived romance during those years in England (with a schoolteacher) and that was what inspired ITM? Or am I just imagining that?
I agree with this. And I think you are correct about the short lived romance.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes, Christine was pretty pissed when she began writing those songs. In interviews she noted the caustic, angry tone of some of them. The album charts her initial excitement ("You Are") and sexual delight ("Anything is Possible") as it transitions to disillusionment, anger ("Liar, Calumny," "Bad Journey") and sarcasm ("Sweet Revenge, "So Sincere"). Finally, in the last two songs, she accepts the loss and leans towards forgiveness and openness. Although she didn't write "Calumny" the song fits her scheme for the album beautifully.

I agree that ITM is an authentic work, one born from a genuine need to communicate and heal.

I wish the 1984 album had more songs like "Smile I Live For." And "One in a Million" is simply great.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was sort of shocked that Christine refused to say what was the creative input for the title "In The Meantime." In that promo video from 2004 she almost scolds the interviewer like...NO, don't think I am going to tell you the meaning behind it.
I would LOVE to know. I suspect its from the scorned relationship. In any event, its a great title for an album.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, at the time people hoped it meant: "This album is what I'm doing in the meantime, whilst I am waiting to rejoin Fleetwood Mac."

It turned out to be true, beyond our wildest dreams.