User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Thumbs up 33 years ago Christine McVie (1984) released

Last week January 27 was officially 33 years since Christine released her second solo album that was self titled. I was 13 and was not aware Christine was even working on a solo album (no internet in those days). I remember the day in February that I heard "Got a hold on me" on the radio. Our school had a 2 hour snow delay and when I heard it on the radio, I instantly knew it was Christine and was "so excited" she did a solo album. My birthday was in February and I got her solo album for my birthday. I remember listening to American top 40 waiting for Got a hold on me to debut. Sure enough the week it debuted it was one notch higher than Stevie's "Nightbird."

Fantastic album. It did not get great reviews but it also did not get bad reviews. I love every song on the album.

Happy Belated Birthday Christine McVie (1984).
Old 02-04-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Last week January 27 was officially 33 years since Christine released her second solo album that was self titled. I was 13 and was not aware Christine was even working on a solo album (no internet in those days). I remember the day in February that I heard "Got a hold on me" on the radio. Our school had a 2 hour snow delay and when I heard it on the radio, I instantly knew it was Christine and was "so excited" she did a solo album. My birthday was in February and I got her solo album for my birthday. I remember listening to American top 40 waiting for Got a hold on me to debut. Sure enough the week it debuted it was one notch higher than Stevie's "Nightbird."

Fantastic album. It did not get great reviews but it also did not get bad reviews. I love every song on the album.

Happy Belated Birthday Christine McVie (1984).
I remember running in the living room when I heard the video playing on MTV. I was in HS and it was so uncool to love Christine McVie or Stevie Nicks... but I didn't care..
Old 02-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I, too, was 13 when the album was released. I had known it was coming for months (thx to a commercial for it on MTV) and waited what seemed like an interminable amount of time for it to come out (some things never change).

I remember thinking all the songs were solid but hated the production, which struck me as glossy and dull like the inside of the JC Penney home section. There were two exceptions--"One in a Million" and "Smile I Live For." I felt both of these songs were not only the strongest on the record but among her best work in any context. Even with the passing of 33 years, I still feel the same way. Today, I'm a little kinder towards the rest of the record. I always liked the catchiness of the verses for "Got a Hold on Me" and was pleasantly surprised at how well it did. I also think "So Excited" and "Ask Anybody" really work, and might have been even better with more imaginative arrangements.

The rest bores me. "Love Will Show Us How" and "Keeping Secrets" are lot like "Got a Hold on Me" insofar as the verses work really well but the choruses don't really catch fire.

But "One In a Million" and "Smile" are exciting to me. They stand a head taller than anything else.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 02-04-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I remember running in the living room when I heard the video playing on MTV. I was in HS and it was so uncool to love Christine McVie or Stevie Nicks... but I didn't care..
Oh, yeah, I got razzed at home and by friends for liking them. Everyone was listening to Def Leopard, Journey, and various hair bands like Fastway and Triumph. We knew better, didn't we!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I, too, was 13 when the album was released. I had known it was coming for months (thx to a commercial for it on MTV) and waited what seemed like an interminable amount of time for it to come out (some things never change).

I remember thinking all the songs were solid but hated the production, which struck me as glossy and dull like the inside of the JC Penney home section. There were two exceptions--"One in a Million" and "Smile I Live For." I felt both of these songs were not only the strongest on the record but among her best work in any context. Even with the passing of 33 years, I still feel the same way. Today, I'm a little kinder towards the rest of the record. I always liked the catchiness of the verses for "Got a Hold on Me" and was pleasantly surprised at how well it did. I also think "So Excited" and "Ask Anybody" really work, and might have been even better with more imaginative arrangements.

The rest bores me. "Love Will Show Us How" and "Keeping Secrets" are lot like "Got a Hold on Me" insofar as the verses work really well but the choruses don't really catch fire.

But "One In a Million" and "Smile" are exciting to me. They stand a head taller than anything else.
We didn't get MTV until 1986 so you can imagine what a deprived teenager I was I agree that Smile, Ask Anybody, and One in a Million are the album's best cuts. My local paper liked the album but stated the songs lacked "musical muscle." It said the songs are not wimpy at all but lack some punch. I understand that criticism. The Todd Sharpe interview on youtube was interesting to me. Christine did not want to do a solo album. Warner Brothers must have given her a nice incentive to do it. She was also afraid to do it and relied on good friends...two of them from Mick's 1981 solo outing. Todd would go over to Christine's house with Mick and Christine liked the way he composed for Mick so she invited him to do her solo album with her. My local rock station that did not play much pop rock and was only playing classic rock, hard rock and metal put One In A Million in heavy rotation. I was floored and so happy. I have/had 4 copies of this album. One my parents bought me for my 14th birthday, I won a copy on the radio, I won another copy on the radio and I gave it to my friend who gave it back to me, and I eventually bought the CD.
Love Will Show Us How is a good song. It unique that is only has one verse and also has a long chorus. I think if the song was cleaned up some it would have made a better single for the radio. I love that Christine did not embrace the 80's synth pop and stuck to real drums and guitar. My least favorite song is Who's Dreaming this dream. I love on One in a Million sometimes you forget Stevie Winwood is singing because his voice and Christine's voice are so similar.
To sort of quote Christine... they are not the most adventurous songs in the world but they are pleasing to the ears. I gave up on looking but I always wanted to know if this album was ever certified gold. I don't think it has which is a shame. If Buckingham/McVie tour, I will be in the front row with this solo album. I want to see the look on Christine's face when I hold it up. It drove me nuts to see fans putting copies of Rock A Little in front of Christine to sign I mean......really!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:07 PM

I'm so glad I saw this tour. It was amazing. They rocked the house.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I'm so glad I saw this tour. It was amazing. They rocked the house.
I would have loved that! To see Christine AND you back then!
Old 02-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We didn't get MTV until 1986 so you can imagine what a deprived teenager I was I agree that Smile, Ask Anybody, and One in a Million are the album's best cuts. My local paper liked the album but stated the songs lacked "musical muscle." It said the songs are not wimpy at all but lack some punch. I understand that criticism. The Todd Sharpe interview on youtube was interesting to me. Christine did not want to do a solo album. Warner Brothers must have given her a nice incentive to do it. She was also afraid to do it and relied on good friends...two of them from Mick's 1981 solo outing. Todd would go over to Christine's house with Mick and Christine liked the way he composed for Mick so she invited him to do her solo album with her. My local rock station that did not play much pop rock and was only playing classic rock, hard rock and metal put One In A Million in heavy rotation. I was floored and so happy. I have/had 4 copies of this album. One my parents bought me for my 14th birthday, I won a copy on the radio, I won another copy on the radio and I gave it to my friend who gave it back to me, and I eventually bought the CD.
Love Will Show Us How is a good song. It unique that is only has one verse and also has a long chorus. I think if the song was cleaned up some it would have made a better single for the radio. I love that Christine did not embrace the 80's synth pop and stuck to real drums and guitar. My least favorite song is Who's Dreaming this dream. I love on One in a Million sometimes you forget Stevie Winwood is singing because his voice and Christine's voice are so similar.
To sort of quote Christine... they are not the most adventurous songs in the world but they are pleasing to the ears. I gave up on looking but I always wanted to know if this album was ever certified gold. I don't think it has which is a shame. If Buckingham/McVie tour, I will be in the front row with this solo album. I want to see the look on Christine's face when I hold it up. It drove me nuts to see fans putting copies of Rock A Little in front of Christine to sign I mean......really!
What?! Fans put RAL in front of Christine to sign?! Awful!

I like your post. One quibble--"Love Will Show Us How" has two consecutive verses, not one. It is, like you say, an unusual song structure. Very mid-period Beatles. But the blend of voices in the chorus doesn't sound right to my ears. There needed to be someone who could handle the top end of that to give the song a lift.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 02-04-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What?! Fans put RAL in front of Christine to sign?! Awful!

I like your post. One quibble--"Love Will Show Us How" has two consecutive verses, not one. It is, like you say, an unusual song structure. Very mid-period Beatles. But the blend of voices in the chorus doesn't sound right to my ears. There needed to be someone who could handle the top end of that to give the song a lift.
One quibble is fine. I can quibble right back. Attached are the lyrics. One verse...then chorus... then chorus again....guitar solo...then chorus again. I do agree the flow is different but I like it because its different. The song also has a country vibe which I found odd for her. I think some keyboard work could have also helped this song. This was a great video. Christine made fun of the ridiculous videos before it was cool to do so. One pet peeve is that Christine had the worst hair cuts for both her videos. She is so beautiful but her hair stylist was bad.

Verse 1
I don't fool around on my baby
And he don't fool around on me
And I know when I need him
He'll be there for me
Ooh and if he asks me some questions
Well, I don't tell him lies
And I don't have the need
The need for alibis

Chorus
I don't know how
Love will survive
But it's all right for now
Still I believe
Love will show us how
There must be a way
To keep it alive
And so keep our vows
And I believe
Love will show us how
Still I believe
Love will show us how

Chorus
I don't know how
Love will survive
Still I believe
Love will show us how
There must be a way
To keep it alive
And so keep our vows
And I believe
Love will show us how
Still I believe
Love will show us how

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-04-2017 at 07:36 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One quibble is fine. I can quibble right back. Attached are the lyrics. One verse...then chorus... then chorus again....guitar solo...then chorus again. I do agree the flow is different but I like it because its different. The song also has a country vibe which I found odd for her. I think some keyboard work could have also helped this song. This was a great video. Christine made fun of the ridiculous videos before it was cool to do so. One pet peeve is that Christine had the worst hair cuts for both her videos. She is so beautiful but her hair stylist was bad.

Verse 1
I don't fool around on my baby
And he don't fool around on me
And I know when I need him
He'll be there for me
Ooh and if he asks me some questions
Well, I don't tell him lies
And I don't have the need
The need for alibis

Chorus
I don't know how
Love will survive
Still I believe
Love will show us how
There must be a way
To keep it alive
And so keep our vows
And I believe
Love will show us how
Still I believe
Love will show us how

Chorus
I don't know how
Love will survive
Still I believe
Love will show us how
There must be a way
To keep it alive
And so keep our vows
And I believe
Love will show us how
Still I believe
Love will show us how
Huh! I'll be damned. Those first eight lines are considered one verse. There's a brief instrumental space between the fourth and fifth lines, and musically the fifth line returns to the bars used for the first line. Christine calls it one verse, so it's one. But if I were writing it out, I'd say two brief verses are repeated.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Huh! I'll be damned. Those first eight lines are considered one verse. There's a brief instrumental space between the fourth and fifth lines, and musically the fifth line returns to the bars used for the first line. Christine calls it one verse, so it's one. But if I were writing it out, I'd say two brief verses are repeated.
It also has one very long chorus
It definitely a unique song
Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was very excited for this release and by 1984 I was getting use to solo releases instead of a Fleetwood Mac album which to this day I still prefer. Got a Hold on Me was a great single but even after the first listen I thought how amazing it could have been if Lindsey produced and played on it with Buckinhgam/Nicks background vocals. It would have been a great follow to Mirage's Hold Me and Gypsy singles as a Fleetwood Mac track.

Last edited by BLY; 02-06-2017 at 06:45 AM..
Old 02-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Before 'In the Meantime' was released, I would have said "One in a Million" was the best solo song by any member of Fleetwood Mac. Now I'd have to put some of the ITM songs up there alongside it.

I would love to hear Christine and Lindsey sing "One in a Million" together if they tour to support their upcoming album. How do people like the idea? How does everyone think Lindsey would do with the Steve Winwood vocal part?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Before 'In the Meantime' was released, I would have said "One in a Million" was the best solo song by any member of Fleetwood Mac. Now I'd have to put some of the ITM songs up there alongside it.

I would love to hear Christine and Lindsey sing "One in a Million" together if they tour to support their upcoming album. How do people like the idea? How does everyone think Lindsey would do with the Steve Winwood vocal part?
I think he would cut it really nicely!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One in a million is a great song and it was particularly cool live because Christine sung it front mic and center stage. Gosh I wish video existed of one of her solo shows other than the Country Club which was filmed almost a half year before her tour.