Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Thank you for the welcome. I will ensure that I don't attach anyone and if anything I've written previously seems like an attack, I certainly apologize.
You're fine. I've seen a lot worse. You should see when they argue politics.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I agree there is no need to trash a poster for his/her opinions if you disagree with them.... just disagree with their opinion. We can disagree without being disagreeable.
i love your leveled posts on the subject (all subjects really!).

to build on the whole discussion that i'm reading here - why are we calling it trashing? we can all say it's just a joke, no? mr useless hahahahaha it's just a joke, it's not a pathetic grudge against the old boyfriend. self appointed defenders of SN's honor being called pathetic and getting their panties in knots over that? no no no, it's just a joke calling them pathetic, you know, like useless, those are all just jokey terms of endearment.

people knowing exactly how Stevie feels and that she's just fine? wonder when they last talked to her. you know, we all thought someone like Chris Cornell was doing great, or at least was just fine.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I think everyone is ok with a few digs, and being critical of band members and disagreeing.

But some of us are talking about something else...

So I have a request... can the posters who on a daily basis use hateful language towards Stevie fans please refrain from doing so. These posts aren't being moderated which some of us don't understand, but according to the rules of the board these kind of posts are not allowed. ​

To continually ridicule and make it clear that you despise a large section of this board, makes it toxic and bitchy in the Rumours forum much of the time. It doesn't seem fair on the thousands of members, many of whom are Stevie fans.

Of course it's ok to criticize any band member, but using hateful, misogynistic language, and regularly slagging off a large proportion of board members just isn't ok

I think this a fair request.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
The 'pathetic' comment wasn't aimed at somebody in particular, just some fans (not all of them) who have a very narrow vision about Stevie. And I wasn't talking only about this forum.

I was also called 'honey', a mysoginist comment, if that makes you feel better. And I didn't complain at all.
it's interesting how we can have guys calling a woman misogynist, and then turning around and being completely misogynist towards another woman, isn't it? i think that's a part about SN's fandom that really bothers me, as a woman. you can't put one woman on a pedestal and say that everything everybody says against her is misogynist, while at the same time trashing majority of other women.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
it's interesting how we can have guys calling a woman misogynist, and then turning around and being completely misogynist towards another woman, isn't it? i think that's a part about SN's fandom that really bothers me, as a woman. you can't put one woman on a pedestal and say that everything everybody says against her is misogynist, while at the same time trashing majority of other women.
honey is far from a misogynist statement. It might be condescending, but it expresses no HATE towards women which is what misogyny actually means.

check for yourself. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny

The (Etymological) Roots of misogyny
Misogyny may be distinguished from the closely related word sexism, which signifies discrimination based on sex (although it most frequently refers to discrimination against women) and also carries the meaning “behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex.”

Misogyny refers specifically to a hatred of women. The word is formed from the Greek roots misein (“to hate”) and gynē (“woman”). Each of these roots can be found in other English words, both common and obscure. Gynē helped to form gynecologist and androgynous, and misein can be found in such words as misoneism (“a hatred, fear, or intolerance of innovation or change”) and misandry (“a hatred of men”).

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 08-17-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Old 08-17-2017, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Lindsey was kind of an ass at the classic shows and therefore I consider all of this to be a wash based one time incidents during what is clearly a tense time for FM.
since comments like this get the ball rolling and 10 years later this will be recited as a fact, i'm just curious to know what behavior led you to that conclusion? from what i saw and read, he was a professional that he always is.

as far as i know, the only time he was clearly peeved during classic east was when he was trying to get the attention of his tech, jumping up and down, because his monitor was not working during GYOW. but i was not there, so i'm only going from stories and videos, maybe you know something additional?

Old 08-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
honey is far from a misogynist statement. It might be condescending
oh i agree! the same as most of the stuff said against SN's behavior / statements is not misogynist either - and yet people love to throw that word around if anybody states anything against her.

if i just look through this thread, there were at least 4-5 condescending comments directed just at me - let alone Ana and others. and although i try, many times i can't resist replying to those - if someone's condescending to me, they might get a reply! then probably someone else will say i'm bickering against them.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is ridiculous (she even said so herself) and definitely says ridiculous things, and has done for years. Lindsey at times can be a complete ass - like when he looked as though he wanted to rip the head off the stage technician at the Classic East (it was a bit more than jumping up and down). They both have their problems.

How about we stop fighting over who is best, who is right etc, who is to blame? Maybe the Ledge would come to a standstill??
Old 08-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

People defend Stevie and get upset about others going after her like she's their mother. This is because Stevie fans are generally the outcasts and sort of emo kids in high school. They are obsessed with the whole witch thing and relate to it because they are into weird emo crap like that themselves. They have no companions in their life besides internet friends they've met on sites like Tumblr so they must look up to a musician and defend her like they persoanally know her. Don't @ me

Last edited by AlexD; 08-17-2017 at 05:09 PM..
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
People defend Stevie and get upset about people going after her like she's their mother. This is because Stevie fans are generally the outcasts and sort of emo kids in high school. They are obsessed with the whole witch thing and relate to it because they are into weird emo crap like that themselves. They have no companions in their life besides internet friends they've met on sites like Tumblr so they must look up to a musician and defend her like they persoanally know her. Don't @ me
Thanks for that insight. I wouldn't say most of that is true
Old 08-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
People defend Stevie and get upset about others going after her like she's their mother. This is because Stevie fans are generally the outcasts and sort of emo kids in high school. They are obsessed with the whole witch thing and relate to it because they are into weird emo crap like that themselves. They have no companions in their life besides internet friends they've met on sites like Tumblr so they must look up to a musician and defend her like they persoanally know her. Don't @ me
Just to give you an example - I'm a Stevie fan and got into FM as my parents bought the greatest hits album when I was 13 years old (nearly 30 years ago!). I've not heard of the term emo kid until tonight, I definitely don't see her as my mother, and don't use tumbler or much other social media. And I do have companions. Maybe I'm a rare Stevie fan
Old 08-17-2017, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
Stevie is ridiculous (she even said so herself) and definitely says ridiculous things, and has done for years. Lindsey at times can be a complete ass - like when he looked as though he wanted to rip the head off the stage technician at the Classic East (it was a bit more than jumping up and down). They both have their problems.

How about we stop fighting over who is best, who is right etc, who is to blame? Maybe the Ledge would come to a standstill??
yup, the place would be booooring! and peeps would not be able to went their frustration with TL all over social media while still constantly reading it!

the thing is - you can't throw in she-does-this / he-does-this and then expect no reply when you are really calling for it!

does Lindsey have a temper which these days manifests about once per tour on stage when something is not going right? sure. is he an ass for that? maybe. i guess you don't get mad that easily, or in his case when something that should go a certain way, in front of 1000s of people watching, is not. back in 2012 he threw a guitar on stage when something was off at his Santa Cruz show. people who were there said he was seriously mad. then he stopped, collected himself, and made a self-deprecating joke...(it's on youtube, something like "i was gonna play this guitar, but now i guess i'm not!" - something to that effect.) it was interesting to watch. (guitar broke. went to Rick Turner's shop for some serious repairs.)

Last edited by elle; 08-17-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Old 08-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
honey is far from a misogynist statement. It might be condescending, but it expresses no HATE towards women which is what misogyny actually means.

check for yourself. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny

The (Etymological) Roots of misogyny
Misogyny may be distinguished from the closely related word sexism, which signifies discrimination based on sex (although it most frequently refers to discrimination against women) and also carries the meaning “behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex.”

Misogyny refers specifically to a hatred of women. The word is formed from the Greek roots misein (“to hate”) and gynē (“woman”). Each of these roots can be found in other English words, both common and obscure. Gynē helped to form gynecologist and androgynous, and misein can be found in such words as misoneism (“a hatred, fear, or intolerance of innovation or change”) and misandry (“a hatred of men”).
So, because it's not mysogynist but condescending it's ok to say it? Ok....

"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

People get more and more rude here, and less and less original/funny with their jabs. TROLLS! Sad.

Did I hear that this forum is now unmoderated though? Meaning that we can call them out directly?

Last edited by Nathan; 08-17-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Old 08-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
that's completely baseless and highly judgmental and offensive.